Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tjarry

join:2006-01-30
West Springfield, MA

1 edit

Comcast Representitive said no transfer limit

I just switched to the 8/768 package and the online chat representative said there was no transfer limit but I would be notified if my usage affected other users.

EDIT: Transcript removed, never asked for permission from Comcast rep to post in a public place.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Jeff > I do not believe that would be a problem. If you are doing anything to impact the service of other customers, we will let you know.

I fail to see what you think you've proven.

tjarry

West Springfield, MA

1 edit
reply to tjarry
Jeff > There are not monthly transfer quotas.

Thats the part that confirms that there isn't any monthly transfer quotas. I have heard of people getting calls because they went over the monthly transfer quota, now I have something somewhat concrete if they try to cancel my service.

Then again there still is still the TOS. So i guess that they can cancel service for many reasons. I just like to keep paper trails with any support people I talk to.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

"now I have something somewhat concrete if they try to cancel my service"

Yup I am sure that will be very useful

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to tjarry
said by tjarry:

Thats the part that confirms that there isn't any monthly transfer quotas. I have heard of people getting calls because they went over the monthly transfer quota, now I have something somewhat concrete if they try to cancel my service.

People were contacted stating they were abusing their bandwidth and more then likely impacting network performance or about to impact network performance.

Thats why there is no limit given. What kind of use impacting shared bandwidth is highly localized and can vary from state to state, town to town, block to block.

Which is exactly what your transcript shows.
"We will let you know if you are impacting other customers" = A bandwidth abuse call.

When using the transcript to cover your ass do not leave out the part where he stated you will be contacted if your use becomes abusive.
--
CableFAQ.org/Technicians Unplugged

tjarry

West Springfield, MA
Good point, I don't really mind being contacted. As long as they give me a heads up before they suspend or cancel my service I would be happy.

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

1 edit
reply to tjarry
The issue isn't transfer quotas, but in whether your activity affects the service for other users. And that they have every right to control.

The party you spoke with said this...(btw..did you get his ok to be posting his private conversations on a public message board?)

Jeff > I do not believe that would be a problem. If you are doing anything to impact the service of other customers, we will let you know.

Where he should have stopped you was with your comment that this was going to be a work related connection...and that's where all the heavy activity would be coming from.

It's unrealistic of you to expect that for 50 something dollars per month, this service can or should be all that you expect to be moving 150+ gigs per month of BUSINESS related content.

Edit: Btw, I think that if it were me and were planning on this much usage, I'd much prefer to get a second connection such as a DSL connection to go along with this rather than upgrading this residential cable account.
Assuming you have other options like DSL, you could have taken this 10.00 a month and applied it to a 1500k or 3000k dsl connection, then had both to use, splitting your usage among the two services.
Plus, you'd have a great backup in place as well, should one fail.
Splitting your use among the two services would put you at 75gigs per month on each roughly, and i've never heard of a problem with that.
The cost would be very reasonable compared to what you're doing anyway.

I also think that people need to think of and be considerate of their neighbors as well when using a cable connection this extensively. Really, it's not fair to those who just want this for their residential connection and who keep their usage within reasonable limits.

TikiBarber

@mellon.com
reply to tjarry
said by tjarry:

Good point, I don't really mind being contacted. As long as they give me a heads up before they suspend or cancel my service I would be happy.
They don't give you advance warning. They call you during business hours, make it impossible to reach them, and then cancel you.

It takes on upwards of 3 days to reach them.

Good luck.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
said by TikiBarber :

said by tjarry:

They don't give you advance warning. They call you during business hours, make it impossible to reach them, and then cancel you.

Good luck.
Don't abuse the connection, no chance of a call!
Simple really.
I've been able to do it for nearly 4 years now.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

rhexis

join:2002-05-18
Gilbertsville, PA
as have probably 99% of the other comcast customers. its that 1% of people who abuse the service and cant seem to grasp that downloading 500 gigs a month is abuse and subject to termination.
i would like comcast to go to metered service. id have no problem paying $1.00 per gigabyte instead of a flat fee.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
$1.00 per gig, I could deal with that! That would make my monthly bill about $30.00.

It'll never fly though(I don't think so at least). The people that do 100GB/month would have a hissy fit!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
Hey dadkins... is there a program out there (hopefully small, simple utility) that monitors your network adapters throughput both ways? Im curious to see my average usage.

I know its nothing major or anything (mainly browsing, IMing and gaming... a few downloads here and there) but still curious.
--
Serenity Day - June 23rd 2006. You Can't Stop the Signal

ColorBASIC
8-bit Fun
Premium
join:2006-12-29
Corona, CA
reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

said by TikiBarber :

said by tjarry:

Good luck.
Don't abuse the connection, no chance of a call!
Simple really.
I've been able to do it for nearly 4 years now.
Define "abuse".

DMS1

join:2005-04-06
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

said by ColorBASIC:

Define "abuse".
"Abuse" = Violate terms of service (TOS) and/or acceptable use policy (AUP), since you agree to be bound by both of these as part of using the service.

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to ColorBASIC
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse

ColorBASIC
8-bit Fun
Premium
Corona, CA

1 recommendation

reply to DMS1
The acceptable use policy doesn't place limits on use other than the point in which you affect the network. However Comcast provides no method to determine if a user's use is adversely affecting the network. A user doesn't know when they're abusing the service until after they've done it and even then they still don't know at what point the use became 'abusive' or a violation of the AUP.

IOW, there is no definition of abuse in Comcast's ex post facto determination of what constitutes abuse.

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

1 recommendation

This has been covered 100's of times. Abuse is "in the sole judgment of Comcast." You agreed to that by using the service.
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by Big_D:

This has been covered 100's of times. Abuse is "in the sole judgment of Comcast." You agreed to that by using the service.
I agree. So why does this continually make the frontpage? :P
--
My Domain
Nightfall's Hockey and Life Journal

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Big_D
said by Big_D:

Actually his profile shows he does not use the service.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ColorBASIC
8-bit Fun
Premium
Corona, CA
Nextweb/Covad is my office connection. At home I have Roadrunner (ex Comcast, ex ATTBi, ex MediaOne).

ColorBASIC
8-bit Fun
Premium
Corona, CA

1 edit
reply to Big_D
said by Big_D:

I didn't say I didn't (although my original agreement was with ATTBi, not Comcast or TW which it is now). Just because Comcast changed my service agreement from what I had originally purchased doesn't mean I can't be critical of it when the issue was brought up for the 101st time.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24
reply to tjarry
Please review the links in the following FAQ. If you feel you really have something unique you want to discuss about bandwidth limits, contact me via IM and I'll listen with an open mind.

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Does Comcast have bandwidth use limits?