All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Bryan Larsen
join:2007-02-01
Ottawa, ON

Bryan Larsen

MSN dropping messages?

Lately I've been having problems using MSN to talk to my fiancée. Messages from her get through fine, but a small percentage of my messages get silently dropped.

It's the "silently" part that causes this to be so aggravating: she sometimes thinks I'm ignoring her or not answering her questions. If I knew there was a connection problem I would send my response via email or some other method.

I've tried two different clients (adiumX on Mac and gaim on Linux).

I seem to be having no other troubles than the usual Rogers fun with DNS and bittorrent. Like many other people on this forum, my bittorrent got throttled last summer, which was fixed until yesterday by switching to encrypted bittorrent.

borga
@toronto.edu

borga

Anon

Hi

I had problems with gaim dropping messages not on a Rogers connection. It might a software issue. Try downloading MSN Messenger for Mac or aMSN for Linux.

HTH
pat_lc2000
join:2006-02-04
Ottawa, ON

pat_lc2000 to Bryan Larsen

to Bryan Larsen
This is a problem I have noticed too using windows. I don't see this problem at work on MSN, so I would say it may in fact be a rogers thing.
Kelaydi
join:2003-01-08
North York, ON

Kelaydi to Bryan Larsen

to Bryan Larsen
Have you ONLY tried adiumX and gaim, or have you also tried the official MSN for windows or Mac? I'd blame the problem on those third-party clients and networks before blaming Rogers or MSN.

I'm not sure about Macs but I know that in Windows, if MSN fails to deliver a message, it will tell you so you can send it again.

KJ
@rogers.com

KJ

Anon

said by Kelaydi:

Have you ONLY tried adiumX and gaim, or have you also tried the official MSN for windows or Mac? I'd blame the problem on those third-party clients and networks before blaming Rogers or MSN.

I'm not sure about Macs but I know that in Windows, if MSN fails to deliver a message, it will tell you so you can send it again.
I have had this problem at work (Rogers Connection) with the older MSN's as well as the newest MSN Live!

- KJ
impronto
join:2002-11-20
Ottawa

impronto

ya i have been having this problem too, msn live... in ottawa

lmk
@rogers.com

lmk to Bryan Larsen

Anon

to Bryan Larsen
same here, rogers mississauga, newest windows live messenger
BobSagget
join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to Bryan Larsen

to Bryan Larsen
i have this problem too, and so does a friend of mine in the UK. It's not a rogers thing, its a MSN thing.
Justfiona
join:2003-04-18
Scarborough, ON

Justfiona to Bryan Larsen

to Bryan Larsen
A few friends have had this problem and I was told that there is a problem with automatic update of the new msn live messenger. They fixed it by downloading the newest version manually and reinstalling.

hope this helps

Rogers1
join:2004-10-14
Canada

Rogers1 to Bryan Larsen

to Bryan Larsen
I have had the same Problem using gaim although aMSN has been working fine no issues at all. I would suggest trying it at lest.