Premium Member
join:2006-06-02
Austin, TX

3 edits

2 recommendations

rabgary

Premium Member

PerfectDisk Critical Update for Vista

Raxco is proud to announce that PerfectDisk 8 is the first and only defragmenter to be Certified for Windows Vista by Microsoft. PerfectDisk 8 Build 50 is now available for use on Windows Vista, as well as Windows XP Home/Professional, Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 Professional/Server.

During the PerfectDisk 8 Vista certification testing process, Raxco’s development team uncovered a bug within a component of Windows Vista that could potentially cause hard drive corruption. Raxco has already reported this bug to Microsoft and Microsoft is working to resolve the issue. Raxco has designed PerfectDisk 8 build 50 to specifically work around this issue.

How do I get PerfectDisk 8 Build 50?

If you are running PerfectDisk 8 on Windows Vista, it is CRITICAL that you update to Build 50. You can do this by clicking on PerfectDisk and selecting Run as administrator and then click on Help and then select Check for Updates.
For non-Vista versions of Windows, run PerfectDisk, click on Help and then select Check for Updates.
To redownload a purchased PerfectDisk 8 installation, follow the instructions in the email receipt that you received when you purchased PerfectDisk.
If you have any questions for the Raxco Technical Support team, please contact them here. For any questions pertaining to your original order, please contact Raxco Customer Service at sales@raxco.com and provide as much information about your order as possible.

Thank you,

PerfectDisk Product

howie1
Premium Member
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica

howie1

Premium Member

Re: PerfectDisk Product Management

Thanks for the info!
I just ran the PD updater and got my new build...
howie1

1 edit

howie1 to rabgary

Premium Member

to rabgary

Re: PerfectDisk Critical Update for vista

Here's the build 50 changelog:

What's new in PerfectDisk build 8.00.50

PerfectDisk Command Center
1. Fixed a bug which caused excessive delays when changing the password of managed clients.

PerfectDisk Client
1. PerfectDisk is now Certified for Windows Vista. Minor changes were made to meet the certification requirements.
2. We changed when the last schedule run time is updated to prevent some scheduler conflicts when two or more schedules were set to run at the same time.
3. Fixed a boot-time defrag limitation when external attributes were too large.
4. Fixed a bug in the post defrag statistics. The elpased time and CPU time did not support values greater than 24 hours. This has been fixed.

Digibits
Premium Member
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop

1 edit

Digibits to rabgary

Premium Member

to rabgary

Re: PerfectDisk Critical Update for Vista

Received the same e-mail and have updated to the latest version.

Will be ready for Vista if and when I decide to install it.
hexaguano
join:2003-06-09

1 edit

1 recommendation

hexaguano to rabgary

to rabgary
Anyone else having GUI issues with this build in XP?

I can not resize the main window by dragging a border. Also, every time I open/close the view log (Tools...View Log) it physically moves up the screen. Repeat this a few times and it will eventually open up off of the top of the screen.

rabgary
Premium Member
Austin, TX

rabgary

Premium Member

Doing the same thing to me.Think I might put previous version back on since I don't plan on getting Vista anytime soon anyway.I'm not even gonna run a pass with it.Who knows what else might be wrong with it.
hexaguano

hexaguano to rabgary

to rabgary
I hear ya.

I'm considering going back to build 48 as well. Though I've run a few defrags, including one off-line, and everything else appears OK. I sent an email to Raxco support yesterday but haven't had a reply yet. They must be closed down on the weekends (makes you wonder why they would release a new build on Friday...)

rabgary
Premium Member
Austin, TX

rabgary

Premium Member

I went ahead and ran them too.Guess I'll keep it on.(maybe)?.Please post back if you here anything from them.
Thanks in advance.
rabgary

rabgary

Premium Member

To hell with,went back to build 48.

Anon 111
@bellsouth.net

Anon 111 to hexaguano

Anon

to hexaguano
said by hexaguano:

I hear ya.

I'm considering going back to build 48 as well. Though I've run a few defrags, including one off-line, and everything else appears OK. I sent an email to Raxco support yesterday but haven't had a reply yet. They must be closed down on the weekends (makes you wonder why they would release a new build on Friday...)
So you can be their beta tester.

howie1
Premium Member
Antarctica

1 edit

howie1 to rabgary

Premium Member

to rabgary
I have the same GUI issue in XP. You'd think they would have caught such an obvious glitch... Build 51 anybody?

[EDIT] Just tried it in Vista... GUI error there too.
hexaguano

hexaguano

said by howie1:

I have the same GUI issue in XP. You'd think they would have caught such an obvious glitch... Build 51 anybody?

[EDIT] Just tried it in Vista... GUI error there too.
One would think... I guess they were so focused on fixing the Vista bug that they failed to catch this glaring error. Oh well, here's to quick build 51+ release.

Kanebrake
Island Time
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12

Kanebrake

Premium Member

Using the trial version here and no gui issues in Vista. Course I'm not using Aero.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn to rabgary

Premium Member

to rabgary
Click for full size
crazy results window!
This new build sucks.
I'm just ticked by the fact that the defrags keep freezing then it does continue like 5 minutes later.

Something is wrong.
Using 64-bit version of PD8 Build 50 under XP64 SP1.
And what the hell is wrong with the results window?
It's too far up and off my screen!
I can't access it to drag it down.

rabgary
Premium Member
Austin, TX

rabgary

Premium Member

Click for full size
Reply from Raxco
hexaguano

hexaguano

Well, at least you got a reply. I sent several emails on Friday and have received nada.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to rabgary

Premium Member

to rabgary
Glad you received a reply!
Was thinking of linking to this thread myself in an e-mail to them. However, I have already sent one off and do not wish to send another.
Hopefully this will all be resolved real soon.
hexaguano

hexaguano to rabgary

to rabgary
I have received word today that they are working on the problem, but no word on when a fix will be available.

illJazz
Premium Member
join:2002-09-04
Zurich

illJazz

Premium Member

Damn I thought this was good news.. but after reading some of the posts in here, it looks like this was bad news instead.

BTW, does PD, when installed, automatically disable Vista's defragger? I think Vista's defrag utility is set up with a weekly schedule by default.

I'm in no hurry for fixes.. after all, this is a disk defragmenter, not a browser. Anyone can live without defragging for quite a while without noticing much, if anything. You can't live without a browser
illJazz

illJazz

Premium Member

So um.. did a proper fix ever come out?
notmentat
join:2003-11-10

notmentat

said by illJazz:

It'll be out this coming Tuesday, according to »perfectdiskblog.typepad. ··· the.html

howie1
Premium Member
Antarctica

howie1

Premium Member

said by notmentat:
said by illJazz:

It'll be out this coming Tuesday, according to »perfectdiskblog.typepad. ··· the.html
Good news... thanks for the update!

illJazz
Premium Member
join:2002-09-04
Zurich

illJazz

Premium Member

Someone please update this thread on Tuesday
Thanks notmentat See Profile.

fphall
The Guardian
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT

fphall

Premium Member

11 am eastern and still no update. :-(
fphall

fphall

Premium Member

Now 2:50 pm eastern. No update. They must be taking lessons from acronis. :-(

Fedorov
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11

Fedorov

Premium Member

Dear DSLR Users,

Please can you all refrain from constantly hitting F5 refresh in your web browser on the Raxco.com website so we can get this latest build uploaded for you all.

Kind regards,

Raxco Customer Support.

howie1
Premium Member
Antarctica

howie1

Premium Member

said by Fedorov:

Dear DSLR Users,

Please can you all refrain from constantly hitting F5 refresh in your web browser on the Raxco.com website so we can get this latest build uploaded for you all.

Kind regards,

Raxco Customer Support.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to this update...
howie1

2 edits

1 recommendation

howie1 to rabgary

Premium Member

to rabgary
It's here... (use the update feature in PD)

What's new in PerfectDisk build 8.00.54

PerfectDisk Command Center
Build 50 introduced some bugs with GUI resizing and positioning. These have been resolved.

We have modified the Command Center database to perform faster when using SQL Server or the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE). These performance improvements are automatic for new installations of the Command Center using SQL Server/MSDE. Existing Command Center installations will require modification of the database. To modify an existing SQL Server based database, please see knowledge base article 598.

Enhancement: Changes were made to display the computer information row by row instead of waiting for all rows before displaying any information.

Fixed numerous issues with the Managed Computer Dialog.
Renaming, and moving groups caused the UI to exit.

PerfectDisk Client
Build 50 introduced some bugs with GUI resizing and positioning. These have been resolved.

When defragmenting sparse files, PerfectDisk did not do a perfect job. This has been corrected.

A bug effecting PDAgent on 64-bit platforms has been corrected. The bug preventing PDAgent from starting.

The statistics display was modified to only display 100 files in the Excluded Files tab. Previously PerfectDisk displayed them all and this could cause significant delays. In some cases it took up to an hour to display 25,000 excluded files.

philfna
Premium Member
join:2003-12-30
Wisconsin

philfna to rabgary

Premium Member

to rabgary
Just auto updated looks good so far...

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN