Comm Closet 1
Click for full size
Comm Closet 2
Click for full size
VDSL Modem - Front
Click for full size
VDSL Modem - Back
All,

Here are some pics from my MDU install in northern va.

my install is fiber to the ont in the comm closet on my floor then twisted pair to my unit to a ZyXel vdsl modem. tried getting tv installed, but VZ cancelled the order due to there not being the correct hardware installed at my ONT. not sure what the exact problem was.

Enjoy the pics!
splicingdan
join:2005-10-13
Staten Island, NY

splicingdan

Thanks for the post.

When was this installed?
What speed is your connection?

The tan colored square box is a 625 ONT and the white rectangular box is the BBU (which can power 2 separate ONT's).

Can you take close-up photos of the two pieces of equipment that are being fed by the blue and black colored cables? I'm curious what they are.

One looks like a Krone block used for DSL filtering for doorbell systems....but, I'm not positive.
proletarian2
join:2007-01-08

proletarian2 to SkiBumJ799

to SkiBumJ799
What's the difference between the 621's and 625's?

I've placed 621's but haven't activated any service on them.

smajchrz
join:2003-10-11
Chantilly, VA

smajchrz to SkiBumJ799

to SkiBumJ799
Did anyone else notice that the power line from the BBU to the ONT went all the way around the ONT rather than straight up?
splicingdan
join:2005-10-13
Staten Island, NY

splicingdan to proletarian2

to proletarian2
said by proletarian2:

What's the difference between the 621's and 625's?

I've placed 621's but haven't activated any service on them.
621 = 16 voice, 8 Ethernet, and 1 video

625 = 16 voice, 8 VDSL, and 1 video
SkiBumJ799
join:2007-02-02
Dallas, TX

SkiBumJ799 to splicingdan

to splicingdan
i'll post some additional pics shortly....the black cable is coax. not sure what the other box is.

the install took place on 1/29. i was supposed to get fios tv installed yesterday(2/17), but the tech never showed and the vz customer support person said that some equipment was missing at the premesis and they would have to call me back. (which they haven't yet)

i'm on the 30/5 plan and am getting about 24/4.7 right now. any idea why they would run a dsl loop? my unit is wired with cat 5e. thanks, and stand by for pics.
proletarian2
join:2007-01-08

proletarian2 to smajchrz

to smajchrz
said by smajchrz:

Did anyone else notice that the power line from the BBU to the ONT went all the way around the ONT rather than straight up?
Yeah, funny. I also noticed the fiber run is a little funky while everything else is rather uniform.

I wonder if the tech started to place the ont below and the bbu up above - would make sense since the bbu needs less access - and then realized something wouldn't layout right- but he'd already attached the power wire.
Light Guy
join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

Light Guy to SkiBumJ799

to SkiBumJ799
said by SkiBumJ799:

i'm on the 30/5 plan and am getting about 24/4.7 right now. any idea why they would run a dsl loop? my unit is wired with cat 5e. thanks, and stand by for pics.
When using cat 5e the ideal situation is to have all 4 pairs going directly to the router. If only one wire is ran to each unit, it would also have to supply dial tone.

With VDSL the router can be placed wherever a dial tone jack exists.
SkiBumJ799
Dallas, TX

SkiBumJ799

Click for full size
overview photo of ONT
Click for full size
COAX connection
Click for full size
blue cable connection
as promised....here are the additional pics.
usbbtech
join:2004-03-25
Brooklyn, NY

usbbtech to SkiBumJ799

to SkiBumJ799
Thanks for posting these pics.

@ Splicingdan - He is correct. This is an MDU installation using a Tellabs 1600-625 VDSL ONT. In this deployment the MDU ONT is installed on your apartment floor / basement depending on number of apartments and where existing infrastructure is. Your existing infrastructure (Copper /
Coax) is then used to extend the service to your apartment. This particular unit is using VDSL-1 to deliver service. The service is delivered just as traditional DSL service.

The "BLUE" cable is the comibined VDSL/POTS signal , terminated to a ADC/Krone VDSL block. From there you can see his service is simply X-connected to an available pair to his apartment.

The "BLACK" cable is the RF output , already connected to a (1x8)TAP , for connection to your existing coax to your apartment.

Yeah I have to agree someone didn't pay attention to running the fiber correctly to the ONT. As we see inside his apartment he has the VDSL modem w/ built in hub. (In some installs you may have a VDSL modem and seperate router.) In the next gen MDU ONT w/ VDSL-2 this seperate config will not be needed , and will also allow faster speed package.
I don't recommend opening the ONT , as your not suppose to and I wouldn't want you to possibly get caught in the process.

You may want to check this link and check the VZ tab , there's a pic of the MDU ONT and what the inside looks like.

»broadbandsoho.com/FTTx_M ··· ices.htm

As for your video service , your property may have not been fully configured / ported out in the video system yet. I would call them back in a week to make sure it's ready.
SkiBumJ799
Dallas, TX

SkiBumJ799

good news on the video service. got it installed yesterday. i wasn't expecting them, but thankfully, i was at home.

very happy with the service.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to SkiBumJ799

Premium Member

to SkiBumJ799
Bleh VDSL...

What speeds are you getting and I'm wondering if it can push 100Mbit so you dont have issues with IPTV video on on demand.
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4

Premium Member

VDSL can push 100/100 at short distances. At @ 1000' it starts to tail off very quickly as distance grows.
PONman
join:2005-06-09
Fairfax, VA

PONman to NOCMan

to NOCMan
Why would you need 100Mb/s? A SD IPTV stream is 4Mb/sec and HDTV is ~15Mb/sec
SkiBumJ799
Dallas, TX

SkiBumJ799 to NOCMan

to NOCMan
NOCMan - i'm getting about 24.5/4.7 right now. i'm less than 100 ft. from the ONT. is there any way to check the speed of the connection from my vdsl modem to the ONT?
usbbtech
Brooklyn, NY

usbbtech

NOTE - Please keep in mind that VZ FiOS TV , in an MDU installation like this , DOES NOT deliver video via the VDSL stream / IPTV. The MDU ONT's have a seperate RF output for the video service going across the existing coax. For supplemental features as VOD etc , there is plenty of bandwidth for that.

Also the current MDU trials with the Tellabs 625 are using the VDSL-1 chip , in real life deployment's there are steady streams with the 40-50MB range with exceptions. For this current installation as long as the apartment is within the 1000ft mark , the VZ 30/5 MB service will work fine. The next generation MDU ONT's from Tellabs have the VDSL-2 chip and can operate symmetrical service in the lab at 100/100 , in real-life deployments there has been a sustained 80MB service capability.

Keep in mind this specific installation is on very clean , fairly new copper , places like NYC , it should be interesting , stable but in some cases you may see a designated cap for specific buildings.
SkiBumJ799
Dallas, TX

SkiBumJ799

USBBTECH-

is there any way i can check the speed of my vdsl loop to the ONT?

thx.
usbbtech
Brooklyn, NY

usbbtech

Web Configurator VDSL Line Stats

Console VDSL Line Stats
There are two ways to view the VDSL line stats.

+ WEB CONFIGURATOR - If you have access (user/passwd) log into the Zyxel ...

MAINTENANCE MENU - Click System Status - Click Show Stats you will see the following in pic #1. It will display the current up/downstream rates.

+ CONSOLE/TELNET - If you have the access (user/passwd) log into the Zyxel ...

Use the following VDSL console command when you see the P861H> prompt.

P861H> vdsl port speed

It will display the current up/downstream , max attainable speed , TX power etc. Much more details are listed here , especially for a tech to use to troubleshoot with the FiOS NOC when he doesn't have an available VDSL tester.

Hope this helps !
SkiBumJ799
Dallas, TX

SkiBumJ799

it does. thank you!

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to SkiBumJ799

Premium Member

to SkiBumJ799
I'm aware of the rates for SD and HD IPTV content.

However. VZ stated they can take anything that the cable companies can throw at it. If they went to 50Mbit then MDU's may never see that performance.

I understand it's hard to retrofit an apartment over to fiber, but if they go through with this they stand to dissapoint. Once again were seeing a dual standard coming through.

Also it could mean VZ's testing the VDSL route and may cheap out in lower density areas.

Personally I like the fact that everything is in the ONT besides the fact that I'm stuck with PPPoE. Another box and point of failure is not what I need.
KingofCola
join:2007-02-07
Greer, SC

KingofCola to usbbtech

to usbbtech
What happens when the coax network does not exist or not available for Verizon to use. i.e. Comcast/TWC owns the cable. I think Verizon will adopt the at&t model for these installations using the existing twisted pair and IPTV over telephone lines. This might limit the data service top end model, but captures a revenue stream with little additional cost.
DMS1
join:2005-04-06
Plano, TX

DMS1 to NOCMan

to NOCMan
said by NOCMan:

Personally I like the fact that everything is in the ONT besides the fact that I'm stuck with PPPoE. Another box and point of failure is not what I need.
According to the Actiontec website the MI424-WR router has the option to support VDSL2 directly on the WAN side. Therefore, once this option is adopted there won't even be another box to fail.
KingofCola
join:2007-02-07
Greer, SC

KingofCola

For short runs VDSL2 can output 100Mps+ which would be plenty of BW to meet cable challenges.