Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

Best Buy acquires Speakeasy??!?

Today is an historic and exciting day for Speakeasy.

I am pleased to announce that Speakeasy has been acquired by Best Buy, an innovative and growing Fortune 100 company and top consumer electronics retailer in North America. This is a significant milestone for our company as our new relationship will help us realize our goals of becoming the No. 1 provider of voice and data solutions to small businesses. It is important to note that though Speakeasy will now be a wholly owned subsidiary of Best Buy, we will continue to operate as a standalone, independent operating division with headquarters in Seattle.

Speakeasy will be an important part of the Best Buy For Business service that delivers simple, reliable, and affordable technology solutions to small businesses. Speakeasy?s array of broadband voice, data and managed services offerings will be the focal point of the Best Buy For Business communications solutions.

This agreement is a major step forward for our company. While our business remains strong, our relationship with Best Buy provides us with additional resources and brand recognition, and opens new opportunities to dramatically accelerate our growth.

Best Buy, like Speakeasy, is known for its high level of customer service. Our reputation as a trusted provider of voice and data services with stellar customer service will not change. Our values are similar too -- Best Buy shares our customer passion, respect for individuals, and drive to do the right thing while achieving results.

You will continue to work with your partner sales managers and the excellent service and support you expect will continue uninterrupted.

Best Regards,
Bruce Chatterley
President & CEO, Speakeasy, Inc.

I'm hoping this is an early April Fools joke, but I fear not.

eric_n_dfw

join:2001-10-22
Roanoke, TX
I just got that email too. (funny, seeing as I've not been a SpeakEasy customer since November, 2006)

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to lorennerol
There goes the neighborhood....

Scifience
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Berea, OH
reply to lorennerol
Well, I was feeling a bit bad about switching from Speakeasy to AT&T a few months back when I made the move, but now I don't really feel bad about it all. As much as I hate big telco, I've had more bad experiences with Best Buy than AT&T.

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.

drrick
Earth's mightiest hero.
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to lorennerol
I just got the e-mail, too.

No wonder the rep was so incredibly accommodating the other day when I called regarding my connection's price-for-performance ratio. I was considering switching, but I'm far better off now.

We'll see what happens.

Would you like the extended warranty with your DSL connection?
--
Soy el dentista!

nshulga

join:2002-06-06
Morrisville, PA
reply to lorennerol
Pity. I have good memories of Speakeasy. They were a good company.

dslrobe

join:2001-10-23
Buffalo Grove, IL
reply to lorennerol
I've been with speakeasy for almost 5 years and through 3 moves.

They've always been great with customer/technical support, and I've been very happy with the service.

As much as I hate ATT, I have greater issues with best buy, and so it comes down to the lesser of two evils.

See ya, Speakeasy.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to lorennerol
Well, it keeps things interesting...
I just got VZ FIOS TV but stuck with my SE 'net connection. The FIOS 'net option is sure tempting at a lower price and higher speeds, but the 'geek-friendly' aspect of SE kept me there (largest being static IPs for my web services, which at VZ will cost the same as my SE connection).
But now I've pretty much lost any motivation to stay with SE. Maybe will see how the transition goes but one hiccup and I'm gone.
I'll give BestBuy the benefit of the doubt for now but they don't have much room for disappointment.
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

mjordan

join:2002-05-08
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to lorennerol
So does this mean BBR will now have a Best Buy forum?

My first words when i saw this was "OMFG!"

Is SE really in that much of financial trouble?

We have all seen how we've been pretty much abandoned on the forums, and now this.

I just hope they don't start changing their policies now and have SE converted in to just another ISP.
It was these open port/servers policies that have kept me with them and I for sure will drop them in a heartbeat if they change that.

I've been a SE customer for 7 years and was recommending them due to their great customer suport, but this has changed my mind.

Miguel3239
Premium
join:2004-03-21
Manchester, NH
reply to lorennerol
I guess we now know why we have been dealing with a "different" company lately. There has been zero responses from SE on this forum within the last year or so. Also, their focus definitely has been more on business and they seem to have forgotten us residential users who need more than just an internet connection. Well it looks like according to the letter from CEO, Best Buy wants SE for the business side of things. I foresee residential service slowly dwindling away.

As soon as my contract is up, I think I will be looking for a new service provider. I too have been a customer for 4 years, referred them to others, and moved 3 times. But I dislike Best Buy so much, it is going to make me change providers. Their business and HR practices leave a lot to be desired.

Just needed to add my two cents to this surprise announcement.

jc1350

join:2004-09-23
reply to lorennerol
I had to give up Speakeasy's DSL service when I moved (no dsl where I now live).

Of all the ISPs out there, I say Speakeasy is the best. Their ToS is the most friendly - do what you want so long as it is not illegal or you bring down our network. At least that is how it was when I had dsl service. Want to run an ftp or http server? Ok. Want to run a game server? Ok. Want your own email server? Ok.

Most other ISPs' rules allow you to surf the web and use email. Everything else is forbidden in the small print. they definitely take the "service" out of Internet Service Provider.

speakeasy is being bought by Best Buy for Business, not the consumer store. Maybe there is enough difference that Speakeasy will be left alone. I can dream.

drrick
Earth's mightiest hero.
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Chicago, IL
reply to mjordan
I had just about the same reaction--"OMFG!" Geek-friendliness has kept me there for five years despite the premium. Once they dropped all their gamer packages, I knew something was up.

Same here--one hiccup, and I'm gone.

I wonder if I can sell my unused bandwidth for store credit?

I hope their tech support turn-around doesn't suffer. Then again, at least it shouldn't be hard to beat the 3 month turn-around time it took Best Buy to fix my TV under the uber warranty I bought with it.
--
Soy el dentista!

jesterekim1

join:2007-01-10
Flushing, NY
reply to lorennerol
Sh!t has really hit the fan.... I'm just waiting for FiOS.

rexc

@bathsavings.com
reply to lorennerol
I've been with speakeasy for over 6 years now and have always been pleased with them. Over the last 2 years, I have noticed a decline in their willingness to invest in their retail infrastructure and I understood it as a business decision as they built out their VoIP and focused on building their commercial business.

I understand that usually such a focus results in a better overall infrastructure and will, by trickle down, improve their retail business as well.

As time went by and I still saw little to no commitment to their retail customers, I began feeling the itch to move away to a different ISP.. and today's news is just confirming my desire to switch. As much as I hate AT&T/SBC, I may be moving my way in that direction.. I would love to have FIOS but I live in SBC Country and don't see FIOS (or even U-Verse anytime soon as a viable option). Anyone know of a good provider around Chicago?

NIX

@uslec.net
reply to lorennerol
Dammit... Now I guess I really gotta start at least semi-seriously looking at other providers' business/SOHO offerings.

Oh well, at least if I switch, my options include faster speeds for the same price points.

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One
kudos:1
reply to lorennerol
Ugh. That groaning sound you here is the collective displeasure of current SpE customers, including this one.

Best Buy. I mean really...Best Buy? I don't profess to know the inner workings of corporate mergers and acquisitions, but I can tell you that, in my experience, every time that a company of which I'm currently a customer gets bought out by a larger company, customer service suffers to varying degrees. And customer service was the primary reason I stuck with Speakeasy all this time.

I shudder to think what the future holds. Sorry you had to go that way SpE.
--
I cannot stand demagoguery. If you disagree with my stance, you're a blithering twit. You're not a twit, are you?

russotto

join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ
I stick with Speakeasy mostly because I have static IPs and I don't NEED customer service, because they're very reliable (unlike another provider I could name, whose name is a portmanteau of "communication" and "broadcast")

What does Best Buy know about DSL?

Looks like it may be time to seriously consider FIOS.

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to tapeloop
said by tapeloop:

... in my experience, every time that a company of which I'm currently a customer gets bought out by a larger company, customer service suffers to varying degrees.
Simple: because human capital is always, in the minds of business elite, the easiest and most cost effective means to offset the investment required for the acquisition, customers be damned. The larger point here is that as more mergers take place, lousy CS won't matter; you'll have only one or two providers at best. Rock - hard place. Welcome to a new america, free from that evil word "regulation" that's been so mean to us all

mjordan

join:2002-05-08
Chicago, IL
reply to lorennerol
let' look at the positive side of things.... errr...
um...
let's see...
OH YEA!!!
At least the forum is now getting more posts and attention than before.

I remember the days they would send you swag for being a loyal customer, sure, it was cheap stuff, but it was nice to feel appreciated. I got fridge magnets, pens, screen cleaning towels, a shirt and a coffee mug!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, it might not be as bad as we think.

claudeo

join:2000-02-23
Redmond, WA
reply to lorennerol
What a disappointment. All around.

djpiazza

join:2001-03-19
Caldwell, NJ
reply to lorennerol
I must say I am just shocked, but not surprised. We should have all seen something like this coming, but never could have imagined BestBuy being the endgame. I am horrified at what BestBuy's ownership of SE will do to an already deteriorating customer service. I have stayed with SE for the sole purpose of their performance & customer service, the exact reasons I avoid BestBuy completely. They have no idea of what customer service is. Every single time I have needed to go into a BB for a last minute item for a client I have intervened in some sales idiot misleading, lying or whatever to a customer about a product or service. This is the worst possible thing that could have happened. I will absolutely be starting the process of finding a new ISP today. Wow, 5 years of loyalty and this is what you get. Where do I go from here? Can't go to Fios Business as Verizon feels there's not enough money in this town yet to wire it.

m0unds

join:2003-02-17
Albuquerque, NM
reply to lorennerol
Yeesh. I was feeling kind of guilty because I'm going to be moving and I was going to drop Speakeasy because I'm sick of being stuck in limbo with Qwest and Covad (the biggest problem with DSL in NM, IMO) Now that they're being bought out by Best Buy, I don't think I could feel guilty if I tried.

nomadg

join:2001-12-31
Berkeley, CA
reply to lorennerol
When I first that speakeasy was being sold, I thought "well i will give them a chance" then I found out it was Best Buy. This is one customer jumping ship before they sink it.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to lorennerol
Is it any coincidence that my T1 has been running like ass for the past 2 days?
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

jesterekim1

join:2007-01-10
Flushing, NY
reply to lorennerol
This is from one of SE's employee:

"I completely understand your concerns, as this is a huge surprise to me as well! While Speakeasy is now owned by Best Buy, it's important to note that we will continue to operate as a stand alone, independant operation with our headquarters in Seattle. We will not be integrating with Best Buy stores, Geek Squad, Magnolia Hi-Fi or any other Best Buy subsidiary. Because we won't be integrating, there will be no change or interruption to your existing service or level of customer support as all aspects of your service will continue to be managed by Speakeasy."

I wan't to believe this....

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to lorennerol
I will wait to see what happens - if necessary I can move to Cincinatti Bell who might have naked DSL and package with their local service as well and kick AT&T out of my house. I love my Covad line - I simply adore it but I can get a bit if savings with Cincy Bell and I have the free AOL for my email...

rexc

@pacbell.net
reply to jesterekim1
For the short term, this will be true.. BestBuy will not interfere too much with Speakeasy operations. The deal won't be final until sometime next year based on the press release.

And while at the start Best Buy will leave SE alone, as with all mergers and acquisitions, there will always be some assimilation no matter what the management may say about leaving them alone.

I'm sad.. and I'm looking for a new ISP

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

1 recommendation

This scares me as well. Been using speakeasy since last century (ha!) and the service has been rock solid wonderful for close to a decade.

Only time will tell...

sommerfeld

join:2006-01-24
Arlington, MA
reply to jesterekim1
We will not be integrating with Best Buy stores, Geek Squad, Magnolia Hi-Fi or any other Best Buy subsidiary.
I've been on the "little fish" end of three high tech acquisitions. Statements like the one I quoted were made; they were true for no more than a couple years, after which the digestive enzymes of the parent company's beancounters ate through any barrier to "integration" promised when the deal was announced.

metrodust
Hey Thats Mine

join:1999-12-10
Seattle, WA
reply to m0unds
said by m0unds:

Yeesh. I was feeling kind of guilty because I'm going to be moving and I was going to drop Speakeasy because I'm sick of being stuck in limbo with Qwest and Covad (the biggest problem with DSL in NM, IMO) Now that they're being bought out by Best Buy, I don't think I could feel guilty if I tried.
sounds like the options here in Seattle.
Comcast no, Qwest no, Earthlink/Covad maybe.. at least they offer ADSL2+ even if it is slow.
the sad part is the 2 week downtime to switch..
--
When you are leaving.. heaven is a distance not a place. --Carissas Weird