uniqs

CS Anon Style
@verizon.net

CS Anon Style to EGeezer

Anon

to EGeezer

Re: Comodo acquires BOClean

said by EGeezer:

I just hope they got enough money out of the sale to be able to at least semi-retire and tell all the personal bashers to kiss off

Maybe Kevin (AKA Selkirk TMO) and Nancy will start their own trolley museum!!!
AMEN!!
You rock!

Best of luck to Kevin and Nancy and pass the Guinness!

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

said by CS Anon Style :
said by EGeezer:

I just hope they got enough money out of the sale to be able to at least semi-retire and tell all the personal bashers to kiss off

Maybe Kevin (AKA Selkirk TMO) and Nancy will start their own trolley museum!!!
AMEN!!
You rock!

Best of luck to Kevin and Nancy and pass the Guinness!
Didn't read did you?
Kevin will continue at COMODO with BOClean(or whatever they decide to call it).

Kevin is still in it.

"BOClean has a very effective engine and more importantly top notch expertise and people in the field. We are happy to announce that Kevin will be joining forces with Comodo and work with us to create world's best Anti malware/virus/trojan/spyware/rootkit product around for FREE!"

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer

Premium Member

I read that, but can see a shorter work day in a consulting capacity for them, and more time and a few bucks for fun things. Something like that is quite common when folks past the "raising kids" stage sell a business. But then, it's just speculation until they decide to share their plans.
justin1278
join:2007-03-28
Bradenton, FL

2 recommendations

justin1278

Hello everyone,

My name is Justin and I am a moderator over on the Comodo Forums.

The entire PSC product line will now be free of charge, also Nancy and Kevin will continue to work on the products! They will now have a bigger team and more resources to make a better product, and now it will be offered free along with all of the other software products.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Trekker3
Premium Member
join:2002-04-29
TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

Trekker3 to Mowergun

Premium Member

to Mowergun
said by Mowergun:

If BOClean becomes free, then I wonder what happens to the immunity from intimidation by bad guys that the makers of BOClean have as a consequence of the NY court ruling. My understanding is that since they have not in the past made available a free evaluation version, they have a right to detect whatever they want on behalf of their subscribers.
For those interested, I asked Melih this question in the Comodo forums. He basically said that nothing will change and he welcomes any malware providers to try and sue them.

See his reply #45 in this thread:

»forums.comodo.com/index. ··· .45.html
rotty97
join:2005-06-30
Australia

rotty97 to EGeezer

to EGeezer
I'm no lawyer but if Comodo charged 5 cents to be able to use BOClean then they would still be covered under the same laws
????

Curley
join:2002-04-10
USA

Curley to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Ryan:
said by Mowergun:
said by Kevin :
Strange legal situation for us under New York State law - we got sued a number of years ago over a backdoor turned "commercial" called "Netbus" ... every other vendor caved to their "do not detect us" demand whereas we stood up to them in agreeing to offer removal as an "option" rather than a promise. Our legal basis for the precedent was that we were not legally considered a "common carrier" by nature of our not distributing our software to the "general public" and legally, that constituted the equivalent of a "private club" wherein we were required to satisfy the requirements of our "members" as to what we covered. Long and thin of it was that we are not held to the same legal standards as "publicly available" software. That's always been our ace in the hole over the years, and the reason why when certain "spyware" companies threatened us, we could legally thumb our noses at their requests NOT to detect them on the basis of "our customers can choose to exclude and not detect."

To our lawyers, if we cross that line and "go public" with a freebie, then that precedent could be eroded.
This is what concerns me.

Anyway, I wish Kevin and Nancy the best. You have given me my money's worth many times over. I will choose to remain optimistic about the future.
I believe with the way comodo does things you will still have to register with an email and name. By registering you are joining their "club" which is no different then bocleans current status except the price will be $0.
I'm not an attorney but I strongly believe that is not the same thing at all and that BoClean has, under the law, lost its protection.

I agree strongly with the poster here who said that it should have been sold to Sunbelt. Alex Eckleberry has spoken eloquently of the difficult struggles facing him and all anti-malware vendors regarding the pressure from the sleazeballs. He cares like Kevin and together they would have been a great team.l I also think Eset would have been a fine choice or Frisk. Comodo is the LAST solution that should have been considered. With no legal protection now, I don't believe for one minute that Melih will stand up to the pressure although I think in the beginning he will make it appear that he has ...in his bombastic way. Even if this is a acquisition similar to Microsoft's acquisition of SysInternals, I still would mourn the loss.
If they offer any kind of free or trial version to the general public then yes it sounds like they then lose that special privilege they once had and open themselves up to possible lawsuits by certain vendors if they do not remove them from there detection. It was one of the things that made BoClean so unique and special over their competition.

Boclean was very focused on doing one thing really well, whereas Comodo wants to try to do everything for everyone. That can't be good over the long term. The quality of Boclean will certainly deteriorate with time as it becomes less and less important over all.

I wish Boclean could of went to a better home as well. I am not very impressed with Comodo's beta quality products or its CEO and his ego. I hope Kevin and Nancy got paid really well for there efforts because they deserve it.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins to EGeezer

MVM

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

I read that, but can see a shorter work day in a consulting capacity for them, and more time and a few bucks for fun things. Something like that is quite common when folks past the "raising kids" stage sell a business. But then, it's just speculation until they decide to share their plans.
Not you EGeezer, the anon poster that quoted you.

I wish Kevin and Nancy all the best!
I also look forward to test-thrashing the freebie.

Not that I think I really need it here, but I like new shiny things! LOL!
dadkins

dadkins to justin1278

MVM

to justin1278
said by justin1278:

Hello everyone,

The entire PSC product line will now be free of charge, also Nancy and Kevin will continue to work on the products! They will now have a bigger team and more resources to make a better product, and now it will be offered free along with all of the other software products.

WHEN?

When will all locations have live download links so we can "Take her for a spin"?

Thanks justin1278!
David
doormans
join:2002-11-17
Roseville, MI

doormans to rotty97

to rotty97
Found this over at GSF:
»gladiator-antivirus.com/ ··· ic=52426

More information regards BoClean

Well, we will continue with the whole product range. We will make available sizeable amount of resources to Kevin so that he can take all these products to next level. Kevin will be responsible (as he was) for taking these products to next level and we as Comodo will support him fully by enabling much more resources for him.

All we want to do is to continue the great tradition that Kevin & Nancy has successfully carried out and enable Kevin to make his products even better. He just has more resources to achieve it now.

Melih

Grand Dad

Sigh.

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

tempnexus to justin1278

Premium Member

to justin1278
Will we still able to use our CURRENT version of Boclean and update that or will we be forced to download the new "FREE" version? Will the udpate servers still remain the same?

bettywont
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

bettywont to rotty97

Premium Member

to rotty97
I have to believe that Kevin and Nancy would have set their terms and conditions; with their high standards
before selling their company.They worked day and night
to keep the highest standards.BOCLEAN will become even
better cause Keven is only one person, and with a team
behind him, he will be able to fulfill his dreams and make his product even better.
I wish Nancy and Kevin the very best of luck for the future.

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium Member
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK

1 recommendation

Owlbet to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

BOComodo, perhaps?

Now past my initial shock that Kevin & Nancy have passed the reins to Comodo, I've no choice but to take a wait and see attitude.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to HA Nut

Premium Member

to HA Nut
said by HA Nut:

FWIW, I don't see this as a good thing either.

I run BOClean at home and we run it on 20 or so PCs at work. It was a key component of my/our defense for all these PCs.

I agree that Privacy Software probably sold to the wrong company.
I bet the privacy policy goes out the window too.

pissedday
@singnet.com.sg

pissedday to bettywont

Anon

to bettywont
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· count=71
quote:
Unfortunately the business law in the US does not allow that.

In fact, we've been at this for months along with struggling to stay afloat. I have talked to almost every company in the business. Only two others pursued this beyond blowing me off. One decided it would "be too expensive to integrate it" into their product, the other claimed they are "already doing this" though we know they aren't. Since there's nondisclosures with both as well signed during negotiations I will not name names.
Seems they are "forced" to sold to Comodo since no one wants them. Is this good?

bettywont
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

bettywont

Premium Member

You are ass u ming and have no proof that no one else wanted BOCLEAN.They have worked day and night for 10 years
Seems to me Comondo got the golden nugget!

pissedday
@singnet.com.sg

1 recommendation

pissedday

Anon

That quote comes from Nsclean.
I have talked to almost every company in the business. Only two others pursued this beyond blowing me off.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

WHEN?

When will all locations have live download links so we can "Take her for a spin"?

Thanks justin1278!
David
I think they said over there that they hope to have it available next week sometime.

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

Ryan to rotty97

Premium Member

to rotty97
I dont feel as worried anymore, between the responses from comodo and nsclean i dont think anyone should worry. If comodo keeps their word then it will benefit everyone.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to pissedday

Premium Member

to pissedday
said by pissedday :

That quote comes from Nsclean.
I have talked to almost every company in the business. Only two others pursued this beyond blowing me off.
So? You seem to be very angry about this, more than anyone else. Not sure why that would be.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI

danny9 to Owlbet

Premium Member

to Owlbet
said by Owlbet:
said by dadkins:

BOComodo, perhaps?

Now past my initial shock that Kevin & Nancy have passed the reins to Comodo, I've no choice but to take a wait and see attitude.
Some one at Wilders posted it as BOModo!
Good name also.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by danny9:

As long as they stay away from any version of "CommodeClean" I'm OK with a name change.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
Clinton Township, MI

danny9

Premium Member

said by Snowy:
said by danny9:

As long as they stay away from any version of "CommodeClean" I'm OK with a name change.
LOL! Good one!

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers
join:2006-08-11
WV

balloonshark to rotty97

to rotty97
at the moment we will keep it as Comodo BOClean.
»forums.comodo.com/index. ··· msg55255

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
Clinton Township, MI

1 recommendation

danny9 to rotty97

Premium Member

to rotty97
Kevin has just put up a post at Wilders.

»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· st973209
mongol
join:2004-06-21
Friendswood, TX

mongol

A very good post by him. Good to read his explanation of what's going on here....

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

1 edit

tempnexus to rotty97

Premium Member

to rotty97
I am indeed really happy for them since from all of my convos with Kevin I knew how hard they had to work. However, it takes time for me to trust any company and I really trusted NSclean with my system to the point where it was the first thing I installed.
Now I will have to once again give this new spawn a test of time. I just hate to have a very good thing slip away, and now have to give it months to years of "trust time".
I know that Kevin will try to keep the new product up to it's highest standard but since he will no longer be the one making the final decisions, I know that some of the things and some of the new decisions will be made by the new company and unfortunately he will have to accept them even if they do not agree with his philosophy.
That is the difference of working for somone or being your own boss.
I have never really trusted Comodo, It would take a lot more then few years to really get used to them.
That is my only gripe, a surefire security company with my full trust has just given away to still great security company but under an umbrella of not so great corporation.

As everyone else has said...only time will tell.

P.S.
This would explain the False Positive I got last week, where Boclean ID a windows update executable as a Trojan. I guess Kevin was training the new guys and they missed a few.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
Clinton Township, MI

2 edits

danny9 to mongol

Premium Member

to mongol
said by mongol:

A very good post by him. Good to read his explanation of what's going on here....
Yes it is and I believe him.
Any man that stakes his life and reputation on this desrves that chance.
He has my support and we'll see what the near future holds.

With Kevin there now, who knows. Comodo just may come up with one of the best av's on the market!

As far as the knocks Mileh?? is getting about his ego, I disagree with that. He should be applauded.
Ego is what drives us. If he had no ego he'd still be on the streets talking about his great idea.
Ego is the confidence we have in ourselves and knowing that what we do or have is good, or I believe in myself!
The warped philosophy going around that egos, money and success is bad is totally wrong.
What a person does with it could be wrong but of itself is a good thing.
Just ask anyone who is one step up from the lemmings!
justin1278
join:2007-03-28
Bradenton, FL

4 recommendations

justin1278 to dadkins

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

said by justin1278:

Hello everyone,

WHEN?

Thanks justin1278!
David
You can expect BoCleaner to be available again sometime next week. I cannot confirm the other products however, but I would expect them to be released around the same time.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Thanks justin1278!