Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

[News] Comcast Terminating Service of Power Users

Comcast Cuts Off Bandwidth Hogs
ARTICLE DATE: 04.04.07
By Chloe Albanesius

The source of this story is from PC Magazine....
Please refer to »www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2111373,00.asp

b1gdr3
I Blame Your Mother

join:2001-07-28
York, PA
um, why provide a link if you were going to paste the whole article?
--
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Good Point

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to YukonHawk
550gigs!??!!? DEAR GOD!!! that guys has no right to complaind/l that much!!!!

kadar
Premium,ExMod 2001-02
join:0000-00-00
reply to YukonHawk
Funny that the problem is download abuse and Comcast's response in the article is about sending (upload).

dj12midnit
Tag You'R It
Premium
join:2000-07-28
Lynden, WA
reply to YukonHawk
Would have been a better story if they had said what it was they were doing to use that much bandwidth.
--
Sig Remove by order of the sheriff.

PghNeon

join:2006-12-21
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to YukonHawk
Comcast lies. They don't "proactively" contact you... they leave a message at your house when you're now there and make it near impossible to reach them.

Then they lie... lie... and lie some more when it comes time to reconnect you.

They lost a $130+ a month customer. Hope it was worth it to them.

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18

1 recommendation

said by PghNeon:

They lost a $130+ a month customer. Hope it was worth it to them.
It likely was.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
These mega corporations probably could care less, until they suddenly start to see their subscriber base drop. Comcast seems too big for their own good, but megalomart style businesses is the norm now days

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

That was the second guy. They didn't give a number for the first guy.
--
“I am not young enough to know everything” - Wilde

OinkOinkOink

@comcast.net
reply to YukonHawk
When you use so much bandwidth that you are no longer profitable, apparently Comcast will hand you your hat.
Businesses are funny that way!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

But .. but .. but he cut it back to 450GB the next month! And he still wonders why it was cut off.
--
YourIP.US - It's Your IP .. and more!
rr.cx - Personal Site.. coming soon.

padrongus

join:2007-04-06
Miami, FL
reply to OinkOinkOink
I don't think we are too far off from high definition 720p & 1080i/p movies being available commercialy from for example Apple iTunes and others . Once this is available Comcast and others will need to change their download policy - I plan on buying HD movies online and like it or not that means many gigs of download per/month.

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY
said by padrongus:

I don't think we are too far off from high definition 720p & 1080i/p movies being available commercialy from for example Apple iTunes and others . Once this is available Comcast and others will need to change their download policy - I plan on buying HD movies online and like it or not that means many gigs of download per/month.
and how many of these movies do you plan on downloading per month? the HD movie downloads on xbox live are only 6-7 gigs each. thats an awful lot of movies in 1 month to reach a significant total.
Expand your moderator at work

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to RR Conductor

Re: [News] Comcast Terminating Service of Power Users

said by RR Conductor:

These mega corporations probably could care less, until they suddenly start to see their subscriber base drop. Comcast seems too big for their own good, but megalomart style businesses is the norm now days
Adopting the communist style hyperbole of karlmarx will only make any argument you are trying to make meaningless.
--
--
My BLOG
My Web Page

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

[News] Comcast Terminating Service of Power Users

Comcast Cuts Off Bandwidth Hogs
ARTICLE DATE: 04.04.07
By Chloe Albanesius

The news story had it right. Your changing "Bandwidth Hogs" to "Power Users" is like putting a dress on a hog.
--
--
My BLOG
My Web Page

Villa

@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

So I guess it would be okay with you if your phone company disconected you for making to many phone calls a month, even though they have not told you there is a limit or what it is.

gordo

@comcast.net
said by Villa :

So I guess it would be okay with you if your phone company disconected you for making to many phone calls a month, even though they have not told you there is a limit or what it is.
Man you are totally comparing apples to oranges !!!

How about giving us a substantial break

LarryE

join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to plat2on1
said by plat2on1:

said by padrongus:

and how many of these movies do you plan on downloading per month? the HD movie downloads on xbox live are only 6-7 gigs each. thats an awful lot of movies in 1 month to reach a significant total.
And where are you planning on storing all those movies. How many terrabyte hard drives do you have?

Villa

@sbcglobal.net
reply to gordo
said by gordo :

said by Villa :

How so?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Villa :

said by gordo :

said by Villa :

How so?
Whether I am connected for 10 minutes, or 10 hours, my telephone usage will not affect my neighbor's telephone usage adversely. Just the nature of the way that PSTN works, in contrast with TCP/IP.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

MalibuMaxx
Premium
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

2 edits
reply to YukonHawk
Yesterday I downloaded and uploaded 9 meg. Thats a little over 2 sec. of full downloading.

13 gig this billing period.

They kick me off for doing about 25-30 gig a month ill kick them.
Expand your moderator at work

SScastic

@comcast.net
reply to YukonHawk

Re: [News] Comcast Terminating Service of Power Users

Customers across the country have been contacted by the telecom giant with a warning to curb excessive bandwidth consumption or risk a one-year service termination. Comcast, however, is refusing to reveal how much bandwidth use is allowed, making it impossible for customers to know if they are in danger of violating Comcast's limit.
Won't say how much you CAN use, but, if you go over that magic number you're in big trouble.

How very nice of them!

Next they will come to the persons house and make them show them their papers!

PAPERS PLEASE! ... Now that's Comcastic! [They're so lame!]

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to YukonHawk
i use 3 to 4 gig's perday that comes to about 124GB plus about 1-3gigs
perday for my brothers computer
and it only went higher as i got an 10/1 Connection
--
none

impulse101

join:2007-01-30
Beachwood, NJ
reply to plat2on1
said by plat2on1:

said by padrongus:

HD and Blue Ray DVD's can be around 25GB each. It adds up fast

Derspankster
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH

2 recommendations

Just what I'd like to have - someone on my node down loading 500-600 gigs a month. It's always about me,me,me isn't it girls? Screw everyone else that's plopping down their $40-60 per month. Daddy's probably paying for your connection anyway so you wouldn't have any conception of the price of living in the world.
--
I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

1 recommendation

I don't have Comacast , but I'm glad they kicked him off....That guy is cloggin up the tubes..:)

...500GIGS a month!!!!!!!!....
I use about ~40-60 on average..and thats with me and 2 teenage kids....

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA
reply to Derspankster
until they go FTTH, this will persist. it's only going to get worse by 2009 when they go HD / digital, unless they compress the crap even more than it is now, just like direct tv, which is pure graineness.

they've known about it for over a decade and done nothing, except for Verizon.