Search similar:

uniqs
OlGraybeard
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
Homestead, FL

OlGraybeard

Premium Member

Get warning message during speed test???

Using the Flash speed test, it displays the following warning message

Warning: You connection shows signs of ISP upload compression.

Anyone knows what it means? Did search found nuttin

I am with BS now ATT. I just took the upgrade offer for DSL extreme 6.0 for 2 dollars. Not getting that except at the BS speed test site. everywhere else get between 267 to 5400 (got that once). Mostly testing at about 3000. have redone RWIN, tweak test says I am awesome. Speed, that is another story. Upload is fairly stable at 430, down is everywhere in the spectrum.

Any suggestions?

RWIN currently at 127072. This is where I have had the best results so far. Have gone as low as 62000 and as high as 1400000(crazy number hehe)

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Ignore it. It's an inaccurate message. I can get it sometimes on some tests.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to OlGraybeard

Mod

to OlGraybeard
It tries to detect compression of compressible data by measuring upload on a file of blanks then a file of less compressible data and looks at the difference. If there is one, the message is displayed. It may trigger for some connections that do not employ compression. The only ones I know of are some mobile networks and satellite broadband.

It is quite possible that the current version is too sensitive during that test, and will display the message if the route to the server is not quite perfect. Other possibilities could include that your latency is quite variable, or your PC is underpowered (less than 1ghz) or your flash plug-in is getting destablized by other programs running at the same time or the test server itself is congested for some reason - things like that.

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

I have FIOS - 20mb down / 5mb up. I'm on the east coast. If I run the Flash Palo Alto Speakeasy test, it shows ISP compression detected. If I run the LA Linkline test, it doesn't show compression detected. I actually get better speeds (down and up) on the Speakeasy test then the Linkline test.
OlGraybeard
Premium Member
Homestead, FL

OlGraybeard

Premium Member

OK thanks for the return.

Evidently, ATT/BS thinks maybe my modem is bad and is sending me a new modem to fix my lack of stable speed and achieveing the speed of the service. Funny, it was extremely stable as 3.0 service, but with 6.0 service, I get speeds all over the spectrum

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

did they do this merely on your say-so or did they run their own tests to the modem?
OlGraybeard
Premium Member
Homestead, FL

OlGraybeard

Premium Member

Turns out, they sent me a new eithernet cable, now that's funny