All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

[Vista] Is there an XP emulation in Vista?

The newest version of the popular client/patient software Medisoft does not run on Vista.

While this isn't a problem for me now, I'm sure in the next few months I'll have a new PC with Vista on it.

I know I could just install XP on it, but I'd like to keep Vista (Business version).

Is there an "XP emulation" mode or something in Vista? Similar to the compatability mode in XP that allows you to run in 2000/98/95 modes?

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

Yep.
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder if it *really* doesn't work, or if they just say it doesn't because it's not *officially supported* yet. I can wait until Medisoft has their patch for it.

This is the quote from Medisoft's site, and I spoke with a rep last week about it and he told me "..it really doesn't work with Vista.."
quote:
At this time, we know that Medisoft will not function with the Vista operating system. Therefore, Medisoft cannot make any guarantee of, or warranty the stability or functionality of, any version of Medisoft used in conjunction with Microsoft Windows Vista. We expect compatibility testing to be complete this summer. A VAR/customer bulletin will be issued when Microsoft Windows Vista has satisfactorily passed all testing and is certified for use with Medisoft products.

It is our intention to have Medisoft Version 12 tested using Vista Business edition only, in both the 32- and 64-bit solutions. No other versions of Vista will be tested or supported. Medisoft Version 12 is the only version that will be updated for Vista compatibility.
TherapyChick

TherapyChick to BillRoland

to BillRoland
BTW - what versions of Windows are in the Compatibility Mode dropdown selection?

Just curious.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Windows 2000
Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5
Windows 98 / ME
Windows 95
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

1 edit

TherapyChick

Wow, thanks.

I'm surprised they still have support for 95/98/ME/NT4.

You'd think (well I'd think) that that support would just bog the OS down more, maybe not.

Edit: also surprised they didn't specify 2000 SP4.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Try making sure that Vista is not allowed to control the Virtual Memory in System Properties/Advanced/Performance/Advanced. I found that unchecking and controlling the Pagefile myself, it allowed older software to run with Vista.
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by Greg_Z:

Try making sure that Vista is not allowed to control the Virtual Memory in System Properties/Advanced/Performance/Advanced. I found that unchecking and controlling the Pagefile myself, it allowed older software to run with Vista.
Thanks, I'll try that out as well if I end up getting Vista before Medisoft releases their patch to allow it to work.

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0 to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
I'm pretty sure the compatibility feature only "tells" the application that it's running a different operating system.

I.E. some Windows 98 applications would refuse to run on Windows NT 4.0, but could run on Windows 2000. The program would refuse to run, even if a newer NT system were used, hence the "compatibility" feature.

So in retrospect, the Medisoft program may execute...but it may not work properly.