how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:2

How long do you wait before reporting person(s) missing?

Wasn't sure were to post this question so if better place exist move it their.

I had a situation were I couldn't get in touch with my parents. They both have 2 cell phones on them at all times, 2 different providers. Called their home number, no answer, no answer on any of their cell phones with in 5 hours range.

It turned out to be false alarm but is their a general rule on how long to wait before reporting person(s) missing?
--
i am not a lawyer but I do play one on tv

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Do your folks live away from you, distance wise?
Are there any other relatives close to them who could make "check on the welfare" visit?
Are they in a bad health situation, where one or both could be in danger?

As for a time line for filing a missing person(s) report, it depends on the jurisdiction they live in. Some are 24 hours, and others as long as 72 hours, unless they are children under a certain age, or it falls under the Amber Alert guidelines.
--
PROUD TO BE THE DIRECTOR OF THE CRUNCHENSTEIN ASSOCIATION.

PROUD TO BE THE HOST OF CRUNCHENSTEIN #2

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
Yes i checked on them, live 20 miles apart so i knew they were not home. Not in bad health per say. It was just really strange for them not to answer the phones, it turned out they both by accident left phones in the car which they have never done so before and went to see a 3 hours movie and then had lunch after that without stopping by car or noticing they didn't have phones on them. Just one strange day
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to 81399672
For adults usually 24 hours is given for them to show up HOWEVER - some will put a call out sooner if there are special circumstances.

When my FIL went missing after work we called the police 2.5 - 3 hours after he was supposed to be home and the local police made a report right away...

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by CylonRed:

For adults usually 24 hours is given for them to show up HOWEVER - some will put a call out sooner if there are special circumstances.

When my FIL went missing after work we called the police 2.5 - 3 hours after he was supposed to be home and the local police made a report right away...
so for people that are reachable any time of the day and then going missing, reporting them let say after 10 hours of being missing is fine? I was going to wait till end of the day before filing missing reporting with pd, relatives were already notified of them being missing
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
Your local police dept will be the ones to decide how long to wait ultimately. It all depends on the people that went missing for me and their history.

My FIL had a history of seizures and he had called my MIL saying he would be home in 15 minutes and he never showed up. Because of the circumstances our pd took the report and we KNEW something was up - for us - there was no question that something had happened.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

4 recommendations

reply to 81399672
Don't forget that some of us "old codgers" want to not be found for a while. We actually have a life independent of the stupid cell phone. It's a pain in the rear when we're at a play and some idiot's cell phone goes off.

We grew up when "instant/constant access" didn't exist. Mommy didn't have to know where we were at all times.

It's no big deal for my daughter to not hear from us for a couple of days. She knows we're "adults" and can look after ourselves. When we travel, we contact her about once a week.

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to 81399672
In general, it shouldn't be a problem to just go with your gut. In this case, I'd call the police, tell them the story, listen to what they say and then do what they recommend (which probably involves a 24-48 hour wait, depending... not sure).

However, inaction when you're worried is never a good idea... IMO.

5 hours without contact with independent, healthy adults who do not live with me and did not have specific, imminent plans with me (especially) is not something I'd get worried about, though.
--
My Site

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to McSummation
You geezers aren't the only ones.

I have made it pretty clear to my family that if something important is happening then I will make myself available - otherwise don't be worried if it takes me a week to return your call.

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by alg:

You geezers aren't the only ones.

I have made it pretty clear to my family that if something important is happening then I will make myself available - otherwise don't be worried if it takes me a week to return your call.
Would you consider a person(s) that have 2 phones with them at all times and that are virtually available 24 hours a day for years to be people that would not call back for 5 hours?
--

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

2 recommendations

Yes, if they were having a "good time" and didn't want to be disturbed. Cell phones should be outlawed in movie theaters, play venues, churches, and restaurants. 5 hours without cell phone contact means that you need to get a life. It appears that they have one.

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA
reply to McSummation
said by McSummation:

Don't forget that some of us "old codgers" want to not be found for a while. We actually have a life independent of the stupid cell phone. It's a pain in the rear when we're at a play and some idiot's cell phone goes off.

We grew up when "instant/constant access" didn't exist. Mommy didn't have to know where we were at all times.

A-frikkin-men. It's been 6 days since I heard from anyone in my family. They have their lives, I have mine. I like it this way. Plus, I hate talking on the phone and don't own a cell.
--
Life Member, NRA and CRPA.

ssj4android
Redefining Reality

join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI
reply to CylonRed
So, what happened to your father in law?
And as other have said, not being able to reach someone via a cellphone isn't reason for panic. People forget them, or perhaps they're in an area with no cell phone coverage.

kruser
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Eastern MO
reply to McSummation
said by McSummation:

Yes, if they were having a "good time" and didn't want to be disturbed. Cell phones should be outlawed in movie theaters, play venues, churches, and restaurants. 5 hours without cell phone contact means that you need to get a life. It appears that they have one.
I could not agree more

Defiance82
Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
reply to 81399672
Call their local PD and request a well-being check. People do it in my area all the time.
--
Programming is like sex. One mistake - endless support.

Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Defiance82:

Call their local PD and request a well-being check. People do it in my area all the time.
I did that my self, so that wouldn't have helped
--

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to 81399672
It would depend on the circumstances. My parents are elderly and live in a very small town in an otherwise rural area. Fortunately, a deputy sheriff lives right across the street from them, so if I was worried, I'd call the sheriff's department and request that someone stop by and check on them. Also, the area is small enough that I'd also call the local post office and ask the postmaster if my dad came in that day to get his mail. I actually did that once when their phone was acting up. She put a note in his mailbox asking him to come to the window, and she told him his phone was out and I'd been trying to call him.

But to answer your question, you have to go with your gut. If something feels wrong, make the call. As long as you don't make a practice of calling in false alarms over and over, most police departments will send someone by to make sure they're OK. Also, you should have the numbers of some trusted neighbors in case you want to check on them but don't feel it's urgent enough to get the police involved just yet.

duh

@comcast.net
reply to 81399672
reality tells me to call law enforcement for the answer. if you are not law enforcement, don't answer.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH
reply to 81399672
from my understanding it was 18-24 hours depending on the situation.
--
www.LakeSemaJ.com

Loker
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Your local police dept will be the ones to decide how long to wait ultimately. It all depends on the people that went missing for me and their history.

My FIL had a history of seizures and he had called my MIL saying he would be home in 15 minutes and he never showed up. Because of the circumstances our pd took the report and we KNEW something was up - for us - there was no question that something had happened.
well you went and started the story now you need to tell us how it ended?
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic inQuake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

thender2
Glamour Profession
Premium
join:2004-05-16
Staten Island, NY

1 edit
reply to McSummation
quote:
You didn't have to give your kids a cellphone to be an overprotective parent in the 1950s. I'm sure there were many other ways to accomplish the same thing.

I was given a cellphone when I was 14 for Christmas and as rude as it may have been, I returned it after a week. I went out once and received 3 calls at weird times and noticed this isn't going to work. The sole reason I use one now is for job interviews and outgoing calls.

I wouldn't call unless I felt I had to. I would never put an hourly limit on it.
--
The Problem With Music.

Our Rationale

Time to rewrite the DMCA.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to 81399672
My FIL was found by a ambulance crew walking along the highway at about 1 am 70-78 miles from home. By 7 am we got a call from the local police (local police of the town he was in) that they had him in a cell (they thought he was drunk). He drove his car (with .25 tank of gas from Dayton, Ohio to just south of Columbus) till it ran out of gas. Then he decided he needed to find help - declined help from a group of guys in a car till an ambulance crew found him walking along the highway.

The ambulance had to stop for gas - they told him not to get out of the car - so he did anyway. They crew then got a call and had to leave and they left him there saying they would be back. After a couple of hours the person working there called the local sheriff.

He had blacked out - probably due to a seizure and it took him 5 hours after he had his medication in him to even give us small details. IT took us almost 1.5 hours to find the car - unlocked and with his work briefcase (he works for SAIC - govt contracting so the briefcase was important) and completely out of gas...

I NEVER want to go thru that again.
--
Brian

"Some people are like Slinkies...
Not really good for anything......
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

dodgetech2

join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

1 edit
reply to McSummation
said by McSummation:

Cell phones should be outlawed in movie theaters, play venues, churches, and restaurants. 5 hours without cell phone contact means that you need to get a life. It appears that they have one.
QFT.....

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to CylonRed
CylonRed,

He may consider setting up a cell phone with WhereAmI type service. It can give you the option to use gps to locate the phone, and hopefully convince your FIL to carry it in his pocket instead of breifcase.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to CurtesyFlush
IT's been 6 days cos noone WANTS to be in communication with you...

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to CylonRed
Glad it was nothing more serious and that he was relatively OK....!!!!!

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

1 edit
reply to 81399672
Had some good friends across the street who went boating one day. The father of the wife couldn't reach them. He lived in another state and their cell phone went immediately to voice mail. They were out of range but he was woried they'd had an accident and they (and the phone) went in the water). He called our local police after several hours. They came to me. Forgot what the officer called it but some police will provide the courtesy of checking with friends or neighbors in situations like this (it was less than 24 hours). I knew where they were and it all got straightened out. It can be a little concerning to open the door and find a cop wanting to speak to you though.

EDIT: Defiance82 got the term--it's called a "well-being check".

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium
join:2001-05-25
Limbo
reply to 81399672
"both accidentally left their phones in the car and went to see a 3 hour movie, then lunch without stopping by the car?"

That sounds like something the wife and I would tell people who had been looking for us if we, uh didn't want to be bothered. . .

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
kudos:1
reply to 81399672
No matter what the movies would have you beleive, per NCIC rules there is no time limitation to enter someone missng. They can be missing for as little as 30 minutes to as much as days, if you decide to enter someone as missing, you are entitled to. Now, there are certain crieria that need to be meet to qualify as a missing person. Of course, missing juviniles can be entered as runaways or an involuntary missing. Adults have to fit one of four criteria 1)disaster victim 2)Involuntary 3)Endangered 4)Disability. Disaster victim is pretty obvious of when to use. To be listed as involuntary the person has to have been kidnapped. To be endangered/disabled, the person has to have a medical/mental or disability that could cause further harm if they are not found. If they dont fit within these criteria, they can not be entered as missing, though the officer taking the report can fudge it a bit to make it fit one of the criteria.

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
reply to thender2
said by thender2:

quote:
You didn't have to give your kids a cellphone to be an overprotective parent in the 1950s. I'm sure there were many other ways to accomplish the same thing.
The 1950's? Was history your first class of the day? I think you must have been sleeping through it. I was 14 in 1981, and while there were cell phones they were bulky and expensive. No kid would have had one. They only really started getting common a decade ago.

It strikes me as a bit bizarre than in so short a time the expectation has developed that everyone should be available to anyone who calls 24/7. Why shouldn't someone be out-of-touch for a few hours? Why the assumption that when this happens something bad has happened? McSummation See Profile hit the nail on the head here.
--
"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all." Emily Dickinson