Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Murray3

join:2001-03-06
Texas

1 recommendation

How To: Minimize Outlook 2002 to System Tray

I found a tip on the web last night and thought I would share it here at the Microsoft Forum...

I can't remember the wording from the site I found the tip at, but I remember the registry key.

How To: Minimize Outlook 2002 to System Tray
If you're an Outlook user - you will know that minimizing Outlook will send it to the Task Bar.

There is a registry entry which can be added, to allow you to minimize Outlook to the System Tray.

Try the following...

1. Open REGEDIT

2. Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Preferences

3. Add a new DWORD Value, as per the screenshot. It should be named 'MinToTray', with a value of "1".

4. Close REGEDIT and log off the PC.

5. Log back on and restart Outlook. When you minimize Outlook, it should now minimize to the System Tray instead of the Task Bar.

I think this only works with version 10.0 of Outlook. (Popularly known as Outlook XP or Outlook 2002).

Note: This tip involves changing the Registry. Please do not attempt if you are unfamiliar with making changes to the Registry. You may want to back up your Registry prior to any Registry changes. I take no responsibility for any problems that may be caused from an incorrect Registry tweak.

ergibbs
To Be Free
Premium,ExMod 2001-05
join:2001-03-07
on the ocean
kudos:1
What would be the purpose of sending it to the sys tray over the task bar? I'm not saying it's a bad tip, I'm just curious.
--
Having children is like being pecked to death by a duck.

Murray3

join:2001-03-06
Texas
Fair comment.

I would guess that it could save some space on the Task Bar. Outlook is a frequently used application, especially in Corporations.

Probably wouldn't be of much use at home, where I have higher resolution and a bigger monitor.

But an example is for me here at work, where I leave Outlook open all day, with it minimized for most of the day. By sending it to the System Tray, it would free up space on my otherwise cramped Task Bar. (Smaller monitor, limited by lower resolution too).

That's one suggestion.

And then there are those who may want to use this tweak just for the sake of tweaking it.

ergibbs
To Be Free
Premium,ExMod 2001-05
join:2001-03-07
on the ocean
kudos:1
said by Murray:
And then there are those who may want to use this tweak just for the sake of tweaking it.
We don't have any of those around here, do we?
--
Having children is like being pecked to death by a duck.

rcarter3
Nap Time Yet?

join:2001-11-01
Royal, AR
reply to Murray3
Wanted to say thanks for posting the tweak for outlook. As I have it up and running all the time; and I run my PC 24/7. Not to mention the fact that I love tweaking my software to get it to do what I want it too.

PHILLYBIZ
Right Now

join:2001-01-27
Philadelphia, PA
Ditto

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Murray3
Nice tip! Just wish it worked with Outlook 2K. That would work wonderfully with the /recycle switch I posted a couple of days ago.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to Murray3
Great tweak!

Just picked up Office XP on a new business use laptop today and immediately made this change. I hate taskbar clutter with Outlook open all day long this is one less piece of real estate to deal with.

Thanks.
--
You can't have everything. . . . where would you put it?

MrChuckles
Say What?
Premium
join:2000-11-19
Westminster, MD
reply to Murray3
Excellent tweak.

Thanks for posting this tip. I hate a cluttered task bar as much as the next guy.
--
Out of the Picture

cyclops2

join:2000-08-26
Montreal-Nord, QC
reply to Murray3
Great tip, thanks a bunch!!!!

GrandFunkRR$
Guitar Player Music Maker
Premium
join:2001-04-21
FunkU2
reply to Murray3
Great find Murray!!

mjn
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Cape Coral, FL
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
Is there a way to do this with OE5.5? I have a laptop that I leave OE running, and I got this program that will hide windows so all I see is the new mail notification when I get new mail, but the program that hides the window is just another step that I'd like to eliminate if possible. Is this possible?