TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to hobgoblin

MVM

to hobgoblin

Re: Comcast is using Sandvine to manage P2P Connections

said by hobgoblin:

Sandvine can do and does everything that the OP has stated. It also can spot users who unknowingly are spamming the world and shut off their mail access, a subject you talk about continuously.
It would cost Comcast less to just block outbound port 25 than to spend a wad of money on monitoring hardware which, by my MTA logs, doesn't seem to be working, anyway; assuming that they are employing Sandvine boxes to monitor SMTP traffic.

paco
@comcast.net

paco

Anon

funchords stated:

"The users on those forums are not informed."

Wow !!!!! What a blanket statement !!!

I'd say that it is you who are uninformed about the users at the Comcast forums

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

It would cost Comcast less to just block outbound port 25 than to spend a wad of money on monitoring hardware which, by my MTA logs, doesn't seem to be working, anyway; assuming that they are employing Sandvine boxes to monitor SMTP traffic.
If you look at what sandvine product can do it's more than just detect outbound spam. It appears to be more of a general purpose firewall that can do deep packet inspection and take action on what it finds, be that P2P use or outbound spam or a worm.

I will say this however, the behavior of bittorrent on my end has changed within the last month. It seems to take longer to get started and as I look at the list of peers right now it shows all peers I'm connected were inbound connections. That doesn't prove anything (it could just be that I've had the torrent running long enough that new peers find me before I find them) but I have noticed a bit of a difference.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Combat Chuck:

If you look at what sandvine product can do it's more than just detect outbound spam. It appears to be more of a general purpose firewall that can do deep packet inspection and take action on what it finds, be that P2P use or outbound spam or a worm.
Just giving the goblin some feedback on his comments. What Comcast does; well, it is their network, none of us get to say how they run it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

How much does a Sandvine Box cost?

Hob

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to paco

MVM

to paco
said by paco :

funchords stated:

"The users on those forums are not informed."

Wow !!!!! What a blanket statement !!!

I'd say that it is you who are uninformed about the users at the Comcast forums
Sorry.

"The users on those forums are not anywhere as nearly informed as they are here at BBR."

I've been here at BBR for a long time, and I've been a Comcast customer for a long time, too -- and yes, I've been to the forums.

Blanket statement -- okay, but I've seen both blankets. So what's wrong with that?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

2 edits

NormanS to hobgoblin

MVM

to hobgoblin
System glitch double post. How rare.
NormanS

NormanS to hobgoblin

MVM

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

How much does a Sandvine Box cost?
How much does it cost to add port 25 to an ACL?