Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ssault

join:2007-01-21
Portland, ME

1 recommendation

RR is now packet shaping?

There has been talk of a "memo" from RR that states that packet shaping is now in effect. I asked a RR national tech about it, and got this answer:

Debra G: Yes there is something of that nature coming into affect to limit the number of open ports that will be usable during certain hours of the day or peak hours so other internet users are not affected.

Is this permanent does anyone think?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
I wonder, if true, it will affect all areas?

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
I have a second-hand source (which means I caution against treating this as guaranteed true) that also seems to confirm that packet shaping and traffic control measures are being experimented with on the national level.

Traffic to check: newsgroups (regardless of provider) and torrent traffic

If significant speed reductions are now occuring, this may be an important clue.

SammyBK
I'D Rather Be Skiing

join:2000-09-07
Los Angeles, CA
Would this be applied to business class customers as well?

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
reply to ssault
As long as they do not degrade my VoIP lines, I can be somewhat content. Although I do frequent Usenet, waiting an extra hour or so to download isnt a huge deal..since I do most downloading as I sleep.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
reply to ssault
So far I see no slowdowns in my Newsgroup downloads. Perhaps it only comes with the new speeds? I am still capped at 5 down 384 up.

ssault

Portland, ME
reply to ssault
Well I think its only during certain hours, and only if usage is causing slowdowns. Maybe your area is not experiencing peak usage. I'm in Maine, and I imagine the hardware they have up here is comparable to a Ford Model-T, and is easily maxed out, especially by people like me who newsgroup 24/7.

bioret

join:2006-03-03
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to ssault
this sucks.

it is happening as I confirmed it with a rep.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 edit
reply to ssault
said by ssault:

Well I think its only during certain hours, and only if usage is causing slowdowns. Maybe your area is not experiencing peak usage. I'm in Maine, and I imagine the hardware they have up here is comparable to a Ford Model-T, and is easily maxed out, especially by people like me who newsgroup 24/7.
I am in Maine as well, no issues for me. Also, TW New England is one of TW's better performing markets in the country..No Ford Model T's here.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to ssault
If I can download full speed at off-peak times and still see somewhat reasonable speeds (say minimum of 1mbps or so) during peak, I'm PERFECTLY content with them lowering newsgroup priority. That is a much fairer alternative than setting monthly caps on the service as a whole, or even the included newsgroup service!

However, I should still be able to download from say, Easynews HTTP at normal priority.

Online game play and VOIP should be at higher-than-normal priority.

The concept of packet shaping sounds scary, but I do think it's a necessary evil with this much bandwidth available. Plus if done right, it can be a good thing. Anyone that's tried to play online games while uploading or downloading at their maximum speed understands the value of packet shaping.

-- Rob
--
Laser eye surgery rocks! I love frickin' laser beams.

ssault

Portland, ME
reply to ssault
Ah, yes I see that now. Alfred is York County though, right? I'm in Lincoln county (mid-coast), and the cable infrastructure is..old. I go through different switches from here, and the cable structure in my immediate area is quite old, and hasn't seen any collective serious upgrade, not even when they put cable internet services in (just used a million amplifiers), and everyone jumped on the (then) Adelphia Internet service the second it became available, so I imagine my area's usage is taxed. Maybe they're also using selective port shaping for users like me who max out the connection most hours of the day via newsgroups.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

"Maybe they're also using selective port shaping for users like me who max out the connection most hours of the day via newsgroups."

It may be a better doing this than shutting down their Top users a la Comcast.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Expand your moderator at work

SyphonBW

join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH
reply to Dampier

Re: RR is now packet shaping?

What do you mean regardless of provider?

bvopvo

@skiplink.net
reply to ssault
ISP packet shaping = deep packet inspection = EVIL

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to SyphonBW
said by SyphonBW:

What do you mean regardless of provider?
I mean bypassing RR's own outsourced news provider and using one of the third party provider (Giganews, etc.) In my area, I tried RR's own provider + Giganews and had the same throttled results.

k22

join:2002-02-27

1 edit
reply to ssault
read between the lines...

they are increasing speeds on the standard plan to "compete" on paper with other services, but in order to provide the extra bandwidth they are just packet shaping and not upgrading their capacity.

bd152

@suddenlink.net
reply to djrobx
said by djrobx:

If I can download full speed at off-peak times and still see somewhat reasonable speeds (say minimum of 1mbps or so) during peak, [...]

However, I should still be able to download from say, Easynews HTTP at normal priority.

Unfortunately, this isn't the way packet shaping works. Once it's implemented in your market area, all P2P and Usenet downloads will normally be throttled down to 0kbps. There are no off-peak use considerations. It's on at 100% all of the time. At least TW is acknowledging they are going to implement these. I've yet to see another ISP announce it before hand.

IME, Easynews HTTP access still works perfectly on a packet shaped network.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by bd152 :

said by djrobx:

If I can download full speed at off-peak times and still see somewhat reasonable speeds (say minimum of 1mbps or so) during peak, [...]

Unfortunately, this isn't the way packet shaping works. Once it's implemented in your market area, all P2P and Usenet downloads will normally be throttled down to 0kbps. There are no off-peak use considerations. It's on at 100% all of the time. At least TW is acknowledging they are going to implement these. I've yet to see another ISP announce it before hand.

IME, Easynews HTTP access still works perfectly on a packet shaped network.
The memo clearly states during peak times. Also, if these protocols were "throttled" as you say to 0 kbps, wouldnt that be classified as blocking, instead of throttling?

HOH

@rr.com
You tell me - right now, I'm trying to download a 96MB file over a p2p application (Azureus). Previous to today, this would be down in about 6 minutes. Today, with 400 seeders and 50 peers on the file, Azureus is estimating 2 hours 51 minutes to get it d/l.

Does that seems like a reasonable limit to you?