Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 edit
reply to Dampier

Re: [TWC] TW Officially Announces Packet Shaping for All RR User

Yea, I can't wait to see how quickly my VoIP phones become throttled/Packet Shaped/Useless

EDIT-- I looked on the help pages, where are you seeing this posted, because I do not see it.

zQ

join:2003-12-14
Flushing, NY

I must say my speeds in the late afternoon & night are still horrible/unbearable/unacceptable/frustrating/infuriating/crap

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

2 edits
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

EDIT-- I looked on the help pages, where are you seeing this posted, because I do not see it.
The link on their generic news release doesn't work for me either... I didn't bother checking it because it points to the AUP. The link for that is:

»help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_rr_aup.asp···Policies

Also read: »help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_network_perf.aspx

The official confirmation for the packet shaping came in an e-mail. Anyone should be able to get a similar response by using the contact us help tool on the rr.com website. I recommend selecting Newsgroups from the drop down box and then complaining that your speeds have dropped and that the level three desk has information about packet shaping. That should elicit a reply from them in a few hours containing the pre-written new packet shaping policy.

You can also kill a few hours of your life by phone to get the same information, as soon as you get escalated to the level 3 support desk.

I personally think we should all complain about this "improvement," particularly those who are now paying for premium service which has now been basically gutted.

Alternatively, time to use encrypted newsgroup delivery (Giganews is a provider of such, for example) to try and get around this, if you want to risk doing that, and many torrent clients also allow you to find your way around a lot of packet shaping systems, although I don't know what TW is using specifically.

Here are some posts here from users who have confirmed the packet shaping policy:

»Re: Newgroups slow for anyone else?
»RR is now packet shaping?
»Re: RR is now packet shaping?
»Re: [ Bright House] Central Florida - Saint Cloud Speed Issues

sheik28
Premium
join:2000-10-15
New York, NY

I appreciate you linking to posts, but they aren't conclusive either. Just a lot of supposition.

As far as the RR site links go, there is nothing in them that says they are packet shaping.
--
There is no such thing as a stupid question, and yes, the camel types.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

said by sheik28:

I appreciate you linking to posts, but they aren't conclusive either. Just a lot of supposition.

As far as the RR site links go, there is nothing in them that says they are packet shaping.
Then I suggest you follow my advice and contact RR through the help desk as I instructed above if you feel more comfortable getting an answer for yourself from them. That is what I did and got the response which started this thread. I have no problem with people getting their own confirmation. You can also get one by phone -if- you reach level three technical support. The lower level techs may not yet have this information in their system.

sheik28
Premium
join:2000-10-15
New York, NY

1 edit

said by Dampier:

Then I suggest you follow my advice and contact RR through the help desk as I instructed above if you feel more comfortable getting an answer for yourself from them. That is what I did and got the response which started this thread. I have no problem with people getting their own confirmation. You can also get one by phone -if- you reach level three technical support. The lower level techs may not yet have this information in their system.
I don't need to jump through hoops to get proof for something you said.
The threads you linked to are of yourself and one other person who also did not post proof, oh and an anonymous user. Included in those threads are other users like me who say they are seeing nothing out of the ordinary.
Your post says they "officially announce packet shaping for all users", yet there is no official announcement anywhere to be seen.
For now I'll believe RR is packet shaping when I see it.
--
There is no such thing as a stupid question, and yes, the camel types.

JimDaGeek

@rr.com
reply to zQ

Hmm, is your node over loaded or something? I am down in West Columbia, SC and I get 8 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up almost all day long. The only thing I have noticed is some slow down on the standard Usenet port. However, changing ports fixed that.

nattynat

@rr.com
reply to Dampier

well, i have had no official confimation mail personally, but we JUST signed up for a 7mbit line here in austin. woke up today and things were running way slow. cycled modem, ready light kept going off all day. finally when it came back up, we are totally throttled down, not just on something like peer to peer or audio/video, but everything.

we normally got around 8mbit here since we live directly across the street from time warner.

as of now, we are getting 0.3 mbit, which is below the legal speed we are required to get (i called, i asked). the tech support on the phone said they were changing the network when i asked him about packet shaping, so there is more to this than smoke. thats for sure. he told me that rr reserved the right to change features, and that i was the first to call today. i highly doubt it. all i can say is 'welcome to court litigation rr.com'. 7mbit +, down to below 0.3mbit. i can upload faster than i can download now, about 40KB/sec is tops.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Dampier

said by Dampier:

said by swintec:

The link on their generic news release doesn't work for me either... I didn't bother checking it because it points to the AUP. The link for that is:

»help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_rr_aup.asp···Policies

Also read: »help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_network_perf.aspx

The official confirmation for the packet shaping came in an e-mail. Anyone should be able to get a similar response by using the contact us help tool on the rr.com website. I recommend selecting Newsgroups from the drop down box and then complaining that your speeds have dropped and that the level three desk has information about packet shaping. That should elicit a reply from them in a few hours containing the pre-written new packet shaping policy.

You can also kill a few hours of your life by phone to get the same information, as soon as you get escalated to the level 3 support desk.
Selecting Newsgroups from the drop down box elicits a form to report abuse only. That goes into a black hole. So, that is not the way to get a reply at least for Hawaii RR users. There is nothing in the Newsgroups TOS for Hawaii about packet shaping. As for the general TOS that I thought I was bound to, I can't find it anywhere. I can't find any general TOS for Hawaii RR now. I see the AUP which I had never seen before and never agreed to. The TOS I agreed to appears to no longer exist but we were never informed of that....at least I never got an email or notice of new Terms of Service with my monthly bill, etc. Of course, we were not informed either that we can no longer access our accounts via the Our Town page. I had to search all over for how to do that now.

I guess I will have to call tier 3. Generally, we get through very fast now to tier 3 and can call directly (don't need a ticket from National Help Desk). Tonight being Sunday though with tomorrow being a state holiday, I probably can't get through quickly.
--
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

»www.msfirefox.com/

anonmoose

@cisco.com
reply to sheik28

Sheik28,

What do you think RR is going to do announce this to the their customer base HELL NO!!! They are going to keep this as quite as possible and that is why my god damned pings have nearly tripled those F*cks...

If they would update there network instead of pulling this $#*t and just letting the little downloading troll's know to hey chill dude, all would be good!!

RR truly suc's they still owe me a call to explain why I had to setup there digital phone service and their technician could not!

reply to Dampier

I see a future where people in America can use no p2p have the slowest most useless connections. While the rest of the world has a free internet with true broadband. And the main reason for this is greed, people who are billionaires are able to bleed every last penny out of the consumers by giving the the worst possible services and charging them the absolute maximum for it. Imagine how crappy American cars (80's anyone?) would be by now if they didn't have Japanese and German competition. I'm surprised the US hasn't banned all imports just so they can rip off there citizens more.

Expand your moderator at work