spc
Search similar:

uniqs
banosr
join:2007-06-11

banosr

problems authenticating 2wire 2701 in Bridge mode

Hope you can help me.

I tried to put a 2wire 2701 in Bridge mode but non of the lights in the modem are orange. I am doing the following.

Reset to factory defaults by pressing reset button on back for 10 seconds.

- Browse to »gateway.2wire.net/management
- Click on Configure under Broadband Link
- Enter VPI 0 and VCI 35
- Click on Disable PVC Search
- Set Connection Type to Direct IP
- Click Submit/Save
- Click on Configure Services under Advanced
- Uncheck Enable Routing
- Click Submit

When I try to do the authentication through a fortigate 300 router it fails, If I try to do the authentication through a macbook pro it says no pppoe server found.

I think I am not getting the 2wire into bridge mode but I don't know why.

Thanks for any help you may give me.
muiredised
ESSE QUAM VIDERI
Tacoma, WA

muiredised

I believe that when a 2701 is properly put into bridge mode the "internet" light goes off and remains off. This light is what indicates whether or not the 2701 is properly authenticated via PPPoE. Placing the 2701 in bridge mode disables most of its features and makes it a "dumb" dsl modem.

The procedure you followed to place the 2wire into bridge mode appears correct based on my past experience with the devices. I would re-check the config of whatever you are now going to use as your gateway device. If this is the Fortigate 300 then ensure that it is set up to manage the PPPoE authentication and that the usernames/passwords you are using are correctly spelled and in the correct case. If the 2wire device is able to authenticate then any other PPPoE device will be able to authenticate. This is likely a simple misconfig.
cerealkiller2
join:2007-03-06
Russia

cerealkiller2 to banosr

to banosr
The lights should be GGXGX. Factory reset your 2wire.
Hop into the MDC via 192.168.1.254/mdc
click on configure under broadband link
set connection type to direct IP DHCP or static
save that page
Then click on configure services under advanced
uncheck the enable routing box and save that page
once that is done, the 2wire is in bridge mode and you can setup your pppoe device behind it, make sure to use your email address and password.
banosr

banosr

Still not working, I don't know if ishould post the logs or other information. Even after I set the bridge mode I still have the wireless, if I assign my own IP, and in mdc in Broadband link summaty it says fully operational under status
banosr

banosr

I have been talking with support of my isp (Telmex in Mexico) and they told me that my line is not configured to use the 2wire in bridge mode, I requested a change. I will keep you posted if this work after they make the change.

jakethecat
Premium Member
join:2006-06-08
South Bend, IN

jakethecat to banosr

Premium Member

to banosr
The explanation from your ISP is interesting, I am curious to see how that change goes for you.

Looking forward to the answer,

- JTC
banosr

banosr

Up to this day I am still unable to authenticate in bridge mode, on thursday after talking to yet anothet technical support guy that kept me doing tests for over 90 minutes until he was convinced that everything I told him in the first two minutes was correct he said that indeed had to do with the configuration of the DSL line and that he as well would submit a report to have the changes done. Today I called back and asked for the extension he had given me and the tech guy that answered said he could'nt transfer me but would be happy to help since he knew how to put the modem in bridge mode. After arguing for a while I had to hung up, I don't want to waste another 90 minutes of my time talking to someone that just knows how to read from a screen. If I am not able to talk with someone that knows what he is doing I am cancelling thir service, I just wanted it for failover and load balancing of my E1.

jr9730
join:2000-11-22
Torrance, CA

jr9730

If you just want a dumb modem then put a Siemens on it and be done with it. It is a waste of hardware to put the 2701 into a bridged use anyway.
banosr

banosr

They gave me the 2wire free and I have to buy the siemens, and even then I dont know if it will authenticate with this line configuration
banosr

banosr

After another long call to tech support they told me that had something to do with the cross connection and they were going to issue a report, I will let you know how this works out

elperro
@INTERCABLE.net

elperro

Anon

I had the same problem last week and spent over 2 hours on the phone. nothing worked, Did you get yours working? i just want to use my balancing router to handle my 2 internet providers...
kikekabuto
join:2007-08-15

kikekabuto

in order to setup your 2wire 2701 in breach mode, all you have to do is setup the PPPoE using 1111 as user and password
then you will notice the Internet led turns red, that will confirm you have setup your 2701 as Breach Mode

Thanks

Kikekabuto