how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cynewulf

join:2007-06-11
Glendale, AZ

[AZ] Need a firmware update for Motorola Surfboard SB5120

I spent a good many hours on Saturday on the phone with both Motorola tech support and COX HSI tech support. I feel stuck between the two. After some head scratching on Motorola's part, it became apparent that I need a firmware update for the Surfboard SB5120 cable modem. My time-of-day update continually fails on the modem, and the Send and Receive lights blink in tandem as a result ("Lumberjack" has posted about this very problem a few days ago on this forum.) I cannot connect to the modem's HTML page via IP address because the browser instantly resets. However, I can "freeze" the browser window if I click the Stop Reload button on the browser at just the right time, and view the status screens.

Looking at the Logs page I can see the there was a SW (firmware) installl error due to a power failure. So the firmware needs to be reinstalled.

However, the tech I talked to at COX said the following:

1. He was sure that COX could not update a user's modem without a user's permission. (I wanted to tell him he was wrong, but held my tongue.)

2. When I asked to be escalated to a Level 2 tech, he said he could not do so since I had internet connectivity.

So I'm stuck with a modem that, even though it can connect to the internet, is not performing as it should. The tech was even asking me why I wanted to access my modem in the first place since I can't make any adjustments.

That's where I stand. Any suggestions?

(BTW, my modem is operating well within specs and my download speed is more than adequete. I suppose I could put a piece of electrical tape over the blinking lights, but that doesn't really solve the problem.)

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

1 recommendation

PM me your cable modem's HFC Mac address and I will look into the issue.

CoxTech1

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to cynewulf
I had this exact issue before, I am sure one of the friendly Cox techs here (like the one above my post) can push the firmware to your modem again and get it to behave. That's what fixed it in my case, anyway.
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."

cynewulf

Glendale, AZ
reply to cynewulf
Thanks guys. I sent CoxTech1 an IM (PM?) with the info.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to cynewulf
On my SB5120, the status page usually shows that establish time of day has failed (although once in a while it is shown as "done"), but I have noticed no problems regarding any lights blinking, and I have no difficulties connecting to the Internet. Thus, I suspect the problems you have are due to something other than the time of day.

cynewulf

Glendale, AZ
reply to cynewulf
The Time of Day issue is only part of the log file. Here is the more significant error:

1970-01-01 00:00:25 4-Error E109.0 Disruption during SW download - Power Failure

cynewulf

Glendale, AZ
reply to cynewulf
CoxTech1 to the rescue! Thanks much for your help. Everything is back to normal. No more flashing lights as of 10:11am today.

jsimmons
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA
said by cynewulf:

CoxTech1 to the rescue! Thanks much for your help. Everything is back to normal. No more flashing lights as of 10:11am today.
This forum is the BEST !!! Seldom do problems go unsolved for long when brought to the attention of the Cox techs here. Kudos to CoxTech1 !
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."- Albert Einstein

Boult

join:2007-08-03
Tucson, AZ
reply to cynewulf
I have same problem as this person.. I IM'ed him recently and hopefully he can push new firmware update or whatever.

TOD issue and can't access the diagnostic page but can get in if I reload then esc. and my log does not show normal boot up sequence when I reboot my modem.

wish me luck that my modem get a clean update.

imagine that I got this modem yesterday from ebay and it is refurbished sb5120 which I got it for $24 bucks plus shipping to replace my good trustworthy SB4200 which ran fine but COX says it is retired and may not benefit PowerBoost. I had SB4200 for more than 4 years. (why didn't I buy new one well that's other story.. it has something to do with future DOCSIS 3.0 coming out in 2008 )

jsimmons
Premium,MVM
Falls Church, VA
said by Boult:

(why didn't I buy new one well that's other story.. it has something to do with future DOCSIS 3.0 coming out in 2008 )
Yea, but when will there be a DOCSIS 3.0 network to attach it to? Much farther down the road?
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."- Albert Einstein

Boult

Tucson, AZ
said by jsimmons:

said by Boult:

(why didn't I buy new one well that's other story.. it has something to do with future DOCSIS 3.0 coming out in 2008 )
Yea, but when will there be a DOCSIS 3.0 network to attach it to? Much farther down the road?
Well, it is good to be ready right?

SDKiwi
VIP
join:2002-05-27
El Cajon, CA
Any 3.0 modem (many months away) will be at least double this $48 deal with free shipping on Amazon for a new Motorola SB5101. Great 2.0 modem, I just bought a couple, 1 for me, 1 for a friend.

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-Surfboar···1&sr=8-1

Boult

Tucson, AZ
I bought this;

»cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi···COR:US:1

about half of that price from amazon.

MoreSurf4Me

join:2007-08-24
reply to cynewulf
I have been trying to hook up my Buffalo WYR-G54 router to my SB5120 for the past couple days. I cloned the MAC address and set the IP address range to 192.168.100.0 subset. But it still will not work. It works individually with my two computer fine but just won't work with the router. It actually keeps resetting it cuz the diag light keeps coming on every 5 mins or so. Am I not setting something or does there need to be something done to the modem? Or even Comcast?

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Could someone share what version of firmware their SB5120 is running now?
Thanks.

jsimmons
Premium,MVM
Falls Church, VA
Here's mine:

Software Version: SB5120-2.19.0.8-SCM02-NOSH
Hardware Version: 4
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.4

--

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Software Version: SB5120-2.19.0.10-SCM01-NOSH

Thanks jsimmons, here's mine.

Boult

Tucson, AZ
reply to cynewulf
here's mine;

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
reply to MoreSurf4Me
Try resetting the router back to the factory default settings (see the instructions), then disconnect the AC power from the modem, router and the computers for at least 30 seconds. Turn on the modem and let it sync up to the Cox network. Then, power up the router and let it sync up. Finally, turn on the computers. This may well solve the problem.

If still no go, since this is wireless router, try to get Internet access through at least one computer by using a wired connection between the computer and the router (after making the wired connection, go through the sequence in my first paragraph again). Once you succeed, then deal with setting up the wireless link. Things go easier if complications are out of the way.

Steve Clark

join:2001-06-10
Peoria, AZ
reply to jsimmons

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07