All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

eric_n_dfw
join:2001-10-22
Roanoke, TX

eric_n_dfw

UVerse VRAD installed in Euless, TX (DFW Mid-Cities)

Click for full size
Is this a VRAD?
Looks like UVerse is finally on it's way to my neighborhood. Hopefully they'll be up and worked the kinks out around the time my current Earthlink DSL contract is up later this year.

I think that picture is what I've heard called a "VRAD" - the bigger box has a sticker with "Fiber Tail Placed" written on it.

I'm not really interested in the UVerse TV aspect as I'm quite happy with my hacked DirecTV HDVR2 Tivo - but if I can get stable broadband I'll probably switch. (my EL DSL connection drops sync way too much)

More pic's (as boring as they may be) at: »flickr.com/photos/ericsm ··· 3013096/

fm2499
@grandenetworks.net

fm2499

Anon

That doesn't look like the VRAD boxes I've seen. Also, the terms state that the U-verse internet service cannot be ordered alone - it must be bundled with the TV service.

eric_n_dfw
Roanoke, TX

eric_n_dfw

Depending on the cost, I may just drop DTV and use the HDVR2 as a DVD image JukeBox.

We don't have any plans on moving to HDTV any time soon so the UVerse DVR should be okay.
shoan
join:2006-02-27
Benton, AR

shoan

In our town which is signed on for UVERSE with the franchise blah blah blah you get the point. They were putting new concrete pads near the old RT's and putting up VRAD's and then they just stopped work with blank pads waiting to be filled. for quite a while I might add. And then they started work again in the area and where you would suppect a VRAD to pop up one of these popped up. There are still two concrete pads blank waiting on work that I know of in the area that i drive through doing day to day business. I will keep an eye out to see if they put more of these out. Im really curious as to what this thing is. Mainly because I am waiting to get dsl since we don't have it in our area of town and usually clock in at 24.4k dial up and now i log in with 40k-44k connection speed. This is after they installed this new equipment down the street.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to eric_n_dfw

to eric_n_dfw
This does not match the physical profile of any VRADS around here. Also none of the VRADs here have a connector for a generator hookup, and all of them have an exposed electric meter. Maybe that's just not visible on your photo.

But I would guess this is either an RT or a repeater node on a fiber ring.
cableguy619
Premium Member
join:2003-06-24
Chula Vista, CA

cableguy619 to eric_n_dfw

Premium Member

to eric_n_dfw
Look at it again. If it has a exhaust and a meter you have found a VRAD. They have been getting smaller from what I have seen around town here in San Diego.
shoan
join:2006-02-27
Benton, AR

shoan

see the problem is the one that I am talking about has an old slick 96 RT I think that is what it is called a big old brown fugly telco box with this new one by it and a box that is about 3'x3' and 4' high and a crossbox and a power meter and both of the new boxes have exhaust on them it is turning in to a literal telco farm I think I will take a photo this weekend and post it next week when i get to work.

TeatherWind
join:2001-08-21
Euless, TX

TeatherWind

I got uverse installed on weds. To be honest.. so far I am not to impressed with it. Now, the issues that I have I haven't called about.. but not sure they (at&t) will be much help.

eric_n_dfw
Roanoke, TX

eric_n_dfw to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey
I just noticed this morning that there's a electric meter box that went in next to it. It doesn't have the meter installed in it yet but though.
eric_n_dfw

eric_n_dfw to fm2499

to fm2499
Looks like I'm right - these look just like the boxes in this story: »Smaller U-Verse VRADs? [38] comments

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium Member
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

MrMoody to fm2499

Premium Member

to fm2499
I'd pay the TV price to have all the bandwidth for internet ...

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium Member
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

1 edit

fiber_man to eric_n_dfw

Premium Member

to eric_n_dfw
That is the new vrad cabinet. The ones around here are the taller and much bigger sized cabinets. Also we have vrads that go right over the existing cross box. I think that is the way to go. One box for everything.

koolkid1563
MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

koolkid1563

MVM

I have heard the new Alcatel VDSL2 48 port cards coming in the (hopefully?) near future can terminate the twisted pairs right on the card, which means there would be no SAI cross connect box required.