share rss forum feed

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2003-08-20
Aurora, CO

How to "factory" reset a cable box

Good morning friends:

I just picked up a couple HD/DVRs from Comcast. I'm not sure the exact model, but when looking at the system screen, here is my info:

Model: DCT
S/W Version: 74.53-3321
Firmware: 16.20

These boxes obviously were used and they had all sorts of programming already on them. How can I "factory" reset the box to make sure I'm starting with a clean slate, please? Right now I am going through every menu, but I really am not sure what the default setting was, etc.

They have a ton of recorded shows left on them too. Both units are over 80% full. Is there a way to clear all the DVR recording info too, or, I presume this will all go away if I can perform a factory reset.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info.
--
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
»www.skullform.com

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Try one of the resets listed here:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···R/Resets

This is a good site to learn a few tips and tricks for Motorola DVR's. Poke around there for other topics as well.

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
said by cypherstream:

Try one of the resets listed here:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···R/Resets

This is a good site to learn a few tips and tricks for Motorola DVR's. Poke around there for other topics as well.
Thanks!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to evilpeppard
These resets are not quite a full factory reset. You can erase any programming information on a DVR and force a firmware/software download, but you cannot reset iGuide settings. Items such as color choice, reminders, and other settings can only be reset by the head end, somehow. I had that done once a long time ago. I haven't seen a way to reset it using remote or key codes.

Soliss

@comcast.net
reply to evilpeppard
Hold down select, then hold down power...wait about 5 seconds and the lights will start blinking on the small led screen, when you see 888 flast 5 times, let all the buttons go, the box will now be reset to factory defaults, but you cannot receive any channels until you call comcast and have them hit your box with a headend signal.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to evilpeppard
why are we telling this guy that he can use a box he obviously picked up from ebay. Just because he said he picked them up from comcast doesn't mean he bought them from comcast, he probably bought them from ebay with intentions of getting digital free or not paying the rental fee. Either way. not going to happen. Sorry you're going to have to rent from comcast, you're out most likely a couple hundred dollars.

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
kudos:2
said by mikedz4:

why are we telling this guy that he can use a box he obviously picked up from ebay. Just because he said he picked them up from comcast doesn't mean he bought them from comcast, he probably bought them from ebay with intentions of getting digital free or not paying the rental fee. Either way. not going to happen. Sorry you're going to have to rent from comcast, you're out most likely a couple hundred dollars.
Wow, you can be something else, Mike.

Sometimes, inventory people will re-stage the boxes, but forget to erase the hard drive. When that happens, the box doesn't authorize channels until "hit", but the recordings will stay.

But, he must have a stolen box, right?

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

WTH? I already stated I picked these up from Comcast, i.e. I went into the customer service center and picked them up. I'm leasing them like other customers, I didn't "obviously" get anything from EBay, nor am I trying to get anything for free.

Anyone that knows me, knows I've been around these forums for years and have a little more dignity than a forum troll.

Incidentally, when I last spoke with Comcast, I let them know I received DVRs with programming still on them from a previous customer. In fact, both DVR's were over 80% capacity with recordings (as I stated above). The rep was "surprised" I got boxes that weren't reset. As can be seen in this post, I am still having trouble with my DVRs: »On Demand not working on one unit, is on the other

Anyway, thanks again for assuming I'm some low-life trying to sneak a way to get something for nothing.

Thanks to everyone else that has respectfully and usefully replied.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit
evilpeppard meet MikeDz. He's a kind of glass half empty guy.

I hope the Motorola DVR wiki helps you well. I know I've gotten a lot out of it. Stuff like remote programming, reading about bugs and fixes, identifying models, resets, etc.

Hopefully that reset worked for you. If it doesn't clear everything, you can phone 1-800-COMCAST and they should be able to reset it for free from their computers.

Good luck!

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
said by cypherstream:

evilpeppard meet MikeDz. He's a kind of glass half empty guy.

I hope the Motorola DVR wiki helps you well. I know I've gotten a lot out of it. Stuff like remote programming, reading about bugs and fixes, identifying models, resets, etc.

Hopefully that reset worked for you. If it doesn't clear everything, you can phone 1-800-COMCAST and they should be able to reset it for free from their computers.

Good luck!
Again, much appreciated. Although I have not tried the reset on either box yet, I'm glad I have access to instructions now.

Chuckles0
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit
reply to evilpeppard
How to erase motorola DVR HD.

Oops. In in the wiki.

DMS1

join:2005-04-06
Plano, TX
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

If you knew anything about how things work, you'd know that none of the DVR functionality becomes available until the box has completed its authorization process with the head-end. If this was an ebay-box he wouldn't be able to see any recorded programs at all.

CCLurkerCCR

@cgocable.net
reply to andyross
Full Factory reset has to be done by an agent in comcast. Just kind of reset is rarely used so most agents won't know how to do it. If you find one that does though they can do it. You can't do it yourself because it is a setting in the systems on Comcast side. Once they do it your box will erase everything and re-download it's programming. Guide, functions, firmware... everything. It will take about 24 hours to download everyting in total but you will be able to watch tv after about 20 minutes. Call in or chat in and ask them to do it.

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
said by CCLurkerCCR :

You can't do it yourself because it is a setting in the systems on Comcast side.
Yes you can, the instructions on how to do a factory reset have already been posted in this thread. It is not recommended though.

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
reply to evilpeppard
For all those wondering why I wanted to do this to begin with *looks at mikedz4*, check out my other posting here about On Demand and the outcome after the Comcast Tech had to come onsite cause our DVRs didn't work:
»On Demand not working on one unit, is on the other
--
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
»www.skullform.com

striker999

@comcast.net
reply to evilpeppard
I was thinking of buying a cable box on ebay. IF it is stolen, what will comcast do? Will they allow me to use it still?

If it is not stolen and they allow me to use it what happens if they program it but then I cancel the service for hd. Will I still be able to use the box?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by striker999 :

I was thinking of buying a cable box on ebay. IF it is stolen, what will comcast do? Will they allow me to use it still?
You wont get a chance to use it at all with Comcast. Save your money.
--
BlockNews.Net- Quality Usenet Block And Unlimited Accounts

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
said by swintec:

You wont get a chance to use it at all with Comcast.
Nor most likely with ANY other US cable system...