how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dontask2much

@comcast.net
reply to funchords

Re: How to test how many connections are being reset by RST pack

The problem though is whatever Comcast is doing to monitor P2P is resulting in serious latency crud for some of the rest of us who don't use or even have BitTorrent. 3 days straight I have had my cable modem here in the MD/VA/DC area literally bombarded with 6881 incoming port traffic (the log is long and glorious) - a reverse lookup on those IPs reveal cable modems from both comcast.net as well as other cable/dsl providers and our routes are toasted as a result. Comcast Tech Support knows about it and calls it "network maintenance" If they're going to use to such software and monitoring tools, perhaps they should at least configure it correctly.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

said by dontask2much :

The problem though is whatever Comcast is doing to monitor P2P is resulting in serious latency crud for some of the rest of us who don't use or even have BitTorrent.
I read your whole message. I'm 100% sure this is not related to Sandvine or BitTorrent monitoring.

What you are seeing sounds like "P2P Afterglow." »Re: Dangers of P2P filesharing networks?

Your firewall should be ignoring these packets. If they are causing latency, it probably is due to the number of CPU cycles that the router has to spend to evaluate or log them. It doesn't take any CPU cycles to drop them.

But if they really are causing problems, you can change your IP: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How do I get a different IP address?
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon USA
Are you affected by Comcast's RST forging? How to test it! -or- Read my original report.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to dontask2much

said by dontask2much :

3 days straight I have had my cable modem here in the MD/VA/DC area literally bombarded with 6881 incoming port traffic...
Such connection attempts have never been a problem for me. And I often see them after I close a torrent. It sound more like your equipment can't handle the probes than that the Comcast network is suffering.

Also, I don't see how Sandvine can be a part of the problem. You shouldn't see so many BT connection attempts if you never use it. The peers only attempt to connect to a client which was part of torrent.

If I were a guessing person, I'd guess you have a wireless LAN, and an uninvited hitch hiker using your WLAN for their torrent sessions.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum