uniqs
share rss forum feed

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to sortofageek

Re: Comcast Bandwidth Abuse - Discuss here only

a solution to this would be for comcast to have really high monthly bandwidth limits-300-400GB/month should be more than enough for anyone
--
i wish qwest would die! i want FIOS!

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
All that asking for hard caps will do is yield ridiculously low caps for everyone, like Charter's 40 GB per month.

letmepost

@comcast.net
WTF 40GB per month? What is this 1998? Jesus each website you go to nowadays is easily 1MB or over. My network at home has about 5+ connects connected to it often. I would easily go over that every month, doing nothing illegal or against my ISP's TOS.

karly

join:2006-03-03
Minneapolis, MN
ive heard the rumors that many ISPs are starting to get more aggresive in limiting bandwidth, comcast has already joined this bandwagon. applying a choke to bittorrent traffic, and more monitoring of the bandwith caps

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Cabal
said by Cabal:

All that asking for hard caps will do is yield ridiculously low caps for everyone, like Charter's 40 GB per month.
show me proof that charter has a 40GB cap-there is nothing about it at their website
--
i wish qwest would die! i want FIOS!

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

a solution to this would be for comcast to have really high monthly bandwidth limits-300-400GB/month should be more than enough for anyone
Posting high bandwidth limits would actually increase bandwidth usage by a significant percentage of the user base. It gets translated from a limit to the perception that "I'm paying for 300GB of bandwidth /month" so that would just encourage people to download more as to not "waste" the bandwidth they are paying for.

For the costs to work out for every person transferring more than 100GB they need to have a sufficient number of users consuming less than 40GB to balance things out. (or some similar spread) Your monthly service fee actually pays for a lot less upstream bandwidth than you might expect.

-Eric