how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CajunWon

join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

Cleaning battery leakage.corrosion in camera

Since this is my 1st real digital camera, hoping to find knowledgeable advice.

I let the camera sit for awhile, unused. The AA battery compartment has white sticky powder-like appearance. And new batteries make poor electrical contact.

Normally I'd twist steel-wool on a small drill bit and buff the interior of the battery compartment, then spray an electrical degreaser to flush. However, considering the expense of this camera, I'd rather not chance messing this up.

What's considered to proper way to remedy battery leakage within a small electrical appliance?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

What model camera and type of AA batteries? If you're having a leakage problem, I'd remove the batteries before letting it set for very long. I'd also look into another brand of batteries.

I wouldn't go spraying any cleaner in there or using an thing conductive such as steel wool. Maybe a pencil eraser is about as much as I'd want to do.
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to CajunWon
When doing this, which I get to do often, I use deoxit D100L on a cotton swap to clean the compartment.
»store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to CajunWon
said by CajunWon:

Normally I'd twist steel-wool on a small drill bit and buff the interior of the battery compartment, then spray an electrical degreaser to flush.
Always avoid using steel wool on anything containing a PC board... pieces of the tiny fibers will break off and create conductive dust that filters into the innards of the electronics, and if some of the battery contacts happen to consist of printed circuit traces right on the board, steel fibers can and will embed themselves into the glass-weave of the board to cause shorts or leak-paths that will trouble you forever. Instead, discrete use of a red rubber eraser (I'm partial to red Ruby-lith) or one of those special made-for-PC-traces glass-fiber brushes with mild abrasive action are the best methods I've found for cleaning up corrosion on contacts or PC traces that I'm unsure will tolerate circuit cleaner around their associated plastic parts. Shake any particles out or carefully use a vacuum nozzle to remove dusty residue (though you need to exercise some care to not expose any internal circuitry to too much dry air moving across it too quickly which could create an ESD problem). If there's a sticky, pasty contaminant, dry-wipe it out first with a heavy-duty tissue wrapped around a pencil eraser, then buff the contacts with an eraser.
--
If God wanted us to work with electrons, He'd make them big enough to see...

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
reply to CajunWon
If you caught the problem before the Alkaline leakage from the batteries has had a chance to erode the plating on the contacts (resulting in a Green patina from the Copper base metal), Neutralizing the alkaline residue on the contacts with a Q-Tip dipped in White Vinegar, followed by a Thorough cleaning with a Q-Tip dipped in Alcohol, should remove the residue...

You may want to consider buying Eveready Energizer LITHIUM AA batteries for it... While they do cost more, they will last MUCH longer than regular Alkaline AAs, and they will NOT LEAK if left in the device too long.

HTH,

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

CajunWon

join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC
reply to CajunWon
Thanks for the tips!

I had simply left the camera unused for a couple months: Olympus FE-100, low-end but plenty of features for me and PS Elements fills the gap.

I used paper-towel on pencil which cleared the chalky residue, it looked nice and clean, but I then sprayed the aerosol degreaser on clean paper towel wrapped around pencil and cleaned the contacts a bit. Works better now.

Unsure of best batteries -suppose shelf life is most important

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

4 edits
said by CajunWon:

Unsure of best batteries -suppose shelf life is most important
IMHO, If you use the camera a LOT, then Investing in a set of Rechargeable Li-Ion or Ni-MH (not Ni-Cd) batteries, with the appropriate charger will save you money in the long run... But if the camera is only used occasionally, then Non-Rechargeable Lithium batteries are your best option.

(Edit): There may be a BatteriesPlus store in your area... If so, check them out... They may have just what you need... »www.batteriesplus.com/store_loca···/NC.aspx

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.