spc
Search similar:

uniqs

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

NHL Network not coming to FIOS?

I hate to say this but I'm starting to wonder about FIOS and adding new SD and HD channels.

It seems most major cable companies except for Verizon are adding the NHL Network. The channel is already active on Time Warner in NYC. I'm still also wondering about FBN.

OCTOBER 8, 2007
NHL NETWORK TO LAUNCH IN U.S.

Beginning This Month, 24-Hour Hockey Network To Be Distributed Through
Cablevision, Comcast, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network®, And Time
Warner Cable

Available To 75 Million Homes

Full-time HD Feed Also Available

NEW YORK (October 8, 2007) – NHL Network, the first national network
dedicated entirely to hockey, is being launched in the United States, beginning
this month, through carriage agreements with Cablevision, Comcast, Cox
Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network and Time Warner Cable. Based on the
carriage arrangements, NHL Network will be accessible to 75 million homes.

NHL Network, which launched in Canada in 2001, gives viewers
unprecedented 24-hour access to the most comprehensive hockey coverage, both on
and off the ice. NHL Network will broadcast 50 live regular-season games in
addition to classic games, documentaries, instructional shows, highlights and
more.

The U.S. and Canada versions of NHL Network will have similar
programming schedules. Initially, the major difference in the two channels will
be in live NHL game selections, with each channel focusing on games of greater
interest to its fans. All live NHL games will be televised in high-definition on
the full-time HD feed (all games subject to local blackout).
The signature show on NHL Network, NHL On The Fly, airs nightly
throughout the hockey season and features up-to-the minute hockey information,
live look-ins on games in progress, extended highlights, overtime shootouts,
real-time scores, interviews, pre- and post-game reports and news conferences.
Dan Pollard and Brian Duff rotate as hosts and are joined in-studio for expert
analysis from a variety of NHL veterans, including Gary Green, Dave Reid and
Bill Berg. Todd Lewis and Jim Van Horne also contribute to the show on a regular
basis. Fans can tune in to NHL On The Fly: Final every night during the season
immediately following NHL On The Fly for a final wrap-up of the night’s action
from around the NHL.

“Our fans across the U.S. and Canada now can have access to the
hockey programming they want, regardless the time of day,” said NHL Commissioner
Gary Bettman. “We have joined with six of the most-respected cable and satellite
distributors in the industry, and that is testimony to the appetite and demand
for the NHL.”

“NHL Network’s success in Canada has paved the way for the network’s launch in
the U.S.,“ said Rick Brace, President, Revenue, Business Planning and Sports,
CTV Inc. “I am delighted to have the opportunity to mirror the success we’ve had
in Canada in the U.S.”
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6

Me too, that not only will we miss out on NHL network, but on other HD channels as well. We may get only a handful of hockey games on HDNET and NBC.

This seems to be a trend, and I hope FIOS corrects it soon. FIOS has YES HD and other sports HD, but we can't watch many of the baseball playoff games in HD on FIOS at any price. I hope this is addressed by next October.

You got the fiber bandwidth, use it!
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
Because Hockey's lighting the country ablaze these days.

I'm holding out for the Synchronized Crochet channel in 1080i. Not carrying that will be the final straw.
bgtimber75
join:2006-06-23
Columbia, MD

bgtimber75 to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
I care about this one about as much as I care about TBSHD but the more they don't add channels that I don't care about the more I worry that when MASN-HD and Speed-HD are available I'll be one of the one's on here bitching about them not being added as well.

Basketball season is starting soon and us in MD/VA still don't have CSN-HD after being teased with the new channel schedule from a few months ago that included it.
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6

said by bgtimber75:

I care about this one about as much as I care about TBSHD but the more they don't add channels that I don't care about the more I worry that when MASN-HD and Speed-HD are available I'll be one of the one's on here bitching about them not being added as well.

Basketball season is starting soon and us in MD/VA still don't have CSN-HD after being teased with the new channel schedule from a few months ago that included it.
Yes, it seems that Verizon is not interested in being a leader (or even keeping up) in HD, and that should concern everyone interested in HD content of one kind or another.
Hound7
join:2006-03-08
Princeton, NJ

Hound7 to bgtimber75

to bgtimber75
I just reactivated my Dish Network account to supplement
my Fios HD TV Sports. Dish Network just added CSN-HD
Mid Atlantic. I signed up for NHL CI and NBA League Pass,
both of which Dish is doing HD as long as Dish has the
RSN HD feed. So in NJ, I will be getting the CSN HD feeds
unless, the Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Knicks or Nets play the Caps or Wizards. Dish also has TBS HD, Five HD
feeds for BTN, VS/Golf HD, NBA TV HD and the new NHL HD channel. Dish has already had one Caps game on in HD.

Unfortunately I need two TV subscriptions because Verizon
gives me CSN Philly HD, YES HD and SNY HD which Dish does not.

regeek
join:2007-10-07

regeek to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
I agree! This is starting to be a trend with verizon. I could see if they were passing up on these channels for History or science, etc......but to see the list of companies all adding these channels around the same time and verizon is just sitting back is pissing me off.
knarf829

knarf829 to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
Well they DO have every channel you could possibly want if you never want to learn English, and every channel you could possibly want if you don't want to have to raise your own kids, and every channel you could possibly want if you bleed monthly. What more could anyone possibly want?

regeek
join:2007-10-07

regeek

At this point I think I even be happy with 24hr chess hd.

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-26
Stormville, NY

Midak to icemannyr1

Premium Member

to icemannyr1

New HD Just Anounced...CNL HD!!!

Well, for all of you hockey fans that have been complaining about the lack of the NHL HD channel, yer in luck. Verizon just announce they will have the Camogie National League HD channel just in time for the new season.
BB21
join:2007-08-22

BB21

said by Midak:

Well, for all of you hockey fans that have been complaining about the lack of the NHL HD channel, yer in luck. Verizon just announce they will have the Camogie National League HD channel just in time for the new season.
Cool. Although I wish they had set it up last month so we could have seen Wexford take the O'Duffy Cup.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

2 edits

GeekGirl1 to Midak

Premium Member

to Midak
All right! More women's sports! BTW, Did you miss the announcement that they need to make room for Camogie by dropping the wimpy men's version of the sport? Something called golf, where the ball is on the ground and no one chases after you.

So how does the NHL Network broadcast schedule compare to Versus? »www.versus.com/nw/articl ··· pper.tpl. Next game Oct 9, 7 PM. Hurricanes vs. Leafs.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to icemannyr1

MVM

to icemannyr1

Re: NHL Network not coming to FIOS?

Sigh...Verizon obviously has management issues if they're letting all these competing companies add HD channels left and right and they haven't added one in ages.
Mark F1
join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1

Without more HD channels, we'll miss out on the Scottish Tiddlywinks International Games. And, I guess I'll have to pass up on learning to make my own winter muffler. Plus, I won't get to relive my childhood by watching reruns of Captain Kangaroo. Remember Mr. Green Jeans? Moose? Dancing Bear? And Grandfather Clock? Oh, how I miss Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel, Sally! And, who isn't interested in how they make plywood? But, if it's usefull channels they need, why not one that shows all the many hundreds of TV movies and miniseries that aren't available anywhere else. Then, maybe the Backgammon Channel . Mark F.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

You're right. Discovery HD, SciFi HD, NHL Gameplan, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc are pointless channels that NO ONE watches.
Mark F1
join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN

Mark F1

Isn't NFL Sunday Ticket exclusive to DirecTV? Or, is there something that we don't know. In case I ever get the urge to watch the Dolphins or the 49ers. Now, I'd like to see Stargate Atlantis in HD, but Hockey? Maybe there are folks that never get tired of following the puck. But, I don't think the Komets are on TV. More HD isn't a bad thing, but everything can't be in HD. And, having more channels doesn't necessarily mean they all should be HD versions of channels we already get. Mark F.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Yes NFL Sunday thing is Direct TV only, As for Scifi HD, its launched but on my cable system its only listed as coming soon ( by the end of 2007 ) so which do you want, coming soon or no mention of it? neither get you TV!

This discussion of I want the Nerd Herd of the day HDTV channel is silly ... what ever bragging rights for a week or month of some channel won't even be remembered in a years time ..

So in a years time what ever can be carried on all systems will be and sports will further be split into the highest bidder only thing. I doubt Direct TV will allow to be outbid for the NFL rights as they are also the ONLY national coverage and can afford it, just as Sirius spent what 100+ million to get Stern. All the delivery media's realise content rules, its not the pipe. Sports franchises all know this and will be going for the almighty dollar ( highest bidder )
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin to Mark F1

to Mark F1
The problem with hockey is that there aren't enough fans for VZ to care about. But hockey in HD is an amazing thing to see. The argument about not being able to follow the puck (which is bogus anyway) is totally thrown out the door.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

JPL

Premium Member

said by robjlevin:

The problem with hockey is that there aren't enough fans for VZ to care about. But hockey in HD is an amazing thing to see. The argument about not being able to follow the puck (which is bogus anyway) is totally thrown out the door.
Totally agree. I've never been much of a hockey fan because it's just unwatchable on SD TV. They have to zoom the camera in really close just so you can get an idea of where the puck is, even though you still can't see it. And because they're so zoomed in they have to pan all the time to follow the action.

Right after we got our HDTV and FiOS set up, we had a party at our house - a small family gathering. I was showing my brother and my father-in-law what the TV could do. I put on a hockey game that was on in HD. They both said the same thing at the same time "wow, I can see the puck!" And because of the widescreen, you don't need to pan nearly as much.

I've started watching sports I don't even like just to catch the action in HD. Hell, if they had curling in HD I'd probably watch it now

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to guppy_fish

MVM

to guppy_fish
Why do you think it's just about "bragging rights"? Do you think we're all so shallow that we only care about the HD channels available to brag about it? Did it ever occur to you that we might actually, *GASP*, want to watch them? I watch a lot of SciFi channel and Discovery. What's so wrong with me wanting to watch the same shows in HD? Sheesh.
Hound7
join:2006-03-08
Princeton, NJ

Hound7 to GeekGirl1

to GeekGirl1

Re: New HD Just Anounced...CNL HD!!!

Big Ten Network HD (BTN) on Dish Network and Directv has a couple of live HD Camogie (Field Hockey) games every week.

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to JPL

to JPL

Re: NHL Network not coming to FIOS?

said by JPL:

Right after we got our HDTV and FiOS set up, we had a party at our house - a small family gathering. I was showing my brother and my father-in-law what the TV could do. I put on a hockey game that was on in HD. They both said the same thing at the same time "wow, I can see the puck!" And because of the widescreen, you don't need to pan nearly as much.
As an avid hockey fan (yep, grew up in Minnesota), one of the things I was going to miss most from switching from D* I knew would be NHL Center Ice.

But I did pick up HDNet (wow!) and ComcastNetHD (for the local Flyers games). On the other hand, the Versus coverage is horrible and I'm not at all sure that the HD version would help it all that much. The days of watching multiple games a night is over. But I did add up all the games we're getting over the regular season and it comes to over 175. Would I like to get NHL Net, too –– you bet but 175+ games makes it not as bad as I thought it would be. (Or as they say in Minnesota, "it could be worse" )

I've now gotten so picky I even dislike watching the SD games (I think mainly from Canadian feeds) on ComcastNetHD.

And the games on HDNet are always spectacular.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Why do you think it's just about "bragging rights"? Do you think we're all so shallow that we only care about the HD channels available to brag about it? Did it ever occur to you that we might actually, *GASP*, want to watch them? I watch a lot of SciFi channel and Discovery. What's so wrong with me wanting to watch the same shows in HD? Sheesh.
SciFi is my #1 channel and by the time FIOS get to my house in Lakeland, I'll take a bet SciFi HD will on on the line up. My point was that might take a year to get all the new channels online ... I've waited for ISDN, Then Cable now Fiber and I can wait a few months for the full line up without wining like a little girlie. Also Brighthouse doesn't have SciFi HD, just the comming soon on the channel lineup ...

As for what sports shows up, I would guess Verizon know quite well the cost benifit, hockey took a hole year off ( stike ) and not one network seemed to care ..

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Who's whining like a girl? I just want to be able to watch HD content on my HD service. And Verizon seems to be the only TV provider that's way behind the game. I'm a paying customer, I have a right to complain about what I'm getting or not getting.
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by pflog:

And Verizon seems to be the only TV provider that's way behind the game.
The only provider behind? Try Charter Cable, they are in the Stone Age compared to FiOS.

Yes, you have the right to complain. Have you done so? To Verizon, I mean. Complaining here may make you feel a little better but it isn't going to affect Verizon's plan and schedule one bit.

FWIW, I have had FiOS TV for over two years now, love it, but sure do wish they would do 3 things: 1) Add some HD channels, even if they aren't ones I particularly care about, just show some direction, 2) Deliver some VOD HD, even if it is only one program, again, show some direction, and 3) Not deliver the new IMG to me, maybe even forever, I am perfectly happy with the old guide
knarf829

knarf829

said by guppy_fish:

My point was that might take a year to get all the new channels online ... I've waited for ISDN, Then Cable now Fiber and I can wait a few months for the full line up without wining like a little girlie.
said by pflog:

Who's whining like a girl? I just want to be able to watch HD content on my HD service. And Verizon seems to be the only TV provider that's way behind the game. I'm a paying customer, I have a right to complain about what I'm getting or not getting.
said by justin9876:

Yes, you have the right to complain. Have you done so? To Verizon, I mean. Complaining here may make you feel a little better but it isn't going to affect Verizon's plan and schedule one bit.
Having the right to complain doesn't make the complaint any less girly. And pointing out that you have a right to complain may indeed make the complaining more whiny and girly.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to justin9876

MVM

to justin9876
No I haven't, but you're right I should, and so should EVERYONE here. Have you? If not, you should, too
knarf829

knarf829

said by pflog:

No I haven't, but you're right I should, and so should EVERYONE here. Have you? If not, you should, too
I'm happy with the current HD Lineup.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to knarf829

MVM

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

Having the right to complain doesn't make the complaint any less girly. And pointing out that you have a right to complain may indeed make the complaining more whiny and girly.
Ok, so I'm supposed to just sit here and be happy that Verizon can't provide the same channels that competitors can? Give me a break. Call it girly if you want, but what we're all asking for isn't unreasonable. If you don't want to complain and are happy with the HD channels available, fine. But there are plenty of us who think Verizon is majorly dropping the ball on HD content.
pflog

pflog to knarf829

MVM

to knarf829
said by knarf829:
said by pflog:

I'm happy with the current HD Lineup.
Well good for you. Many others are not. Just because you're happy with the available HD channels, doesn't mean everyone else is.