Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

10 recommendations

McSummation

Premium Member

[POLL] EMail Clients - 2008 Member Choice

Wikipedia's definition of E-mail Client - An e-mail client, also called a mail user agent (MUA), is a computer program that is used to read and send e-mail.

Originally, the MUA was intended to be a simple program to read the user's mail messages, which the mail delivery agent (MDA) in conjunction with the mail transfer agent (MTA) would transfer into a local mailbox.

The most important mailbox formats are mbox and Maildir. These rather simple protocols for locally storing e-mails make import, export and backup of mailfolders quite easy.

E-mails to be sent would be handed over to the MTA, perhaps via an mail submission agent, therefore an MUA would not have to provide any transport-related functions.

Since the various Microsoft Windows versions intended for home use never provided an MTA, most modern MUAs have to support protocols like POP3 and Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) to communicate with a remote MTA located at the e-mail providers machine.

IMAP and the updated IMAP4 are optimized for storage of e-mail on the server, while the POP3 protocol generally assumes that the e-mail is downloaded to the client. The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is used by most e-mail clients to send e-mail.

In addition to the fat client e-mail clients, or small MUAs in cooperation with a local MDA/MTA, presented here, there are also Web-based e-mail programs called webmail.

An important standard supported by most e-mail clients is MIME, which is used to send binary file e-mail attachments. Attachments are files that are not part of the e-mail proper, but are sent with the e-mail.

Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) is a proprietary Microsoft Windows application programming interface (API) which can be used to access the Microsoft Exchange e-mail server or to interact with the Microsoft Outlook client.

Thanks to TransitMan See Profile for the above descriptions.

I realize this list is long, but I have tried to include Windows, Mac and Linux programs, as well as a sedlection for Web-Mail clients

If you have a favorite Web-Mail client, and I did not list in the Web-Mail selection, please list it below, along with a link, so we all may see and investigate for ourselves. (All links verified as of 8/6/2006)

Thank you for your time and vote.

Edit: It has come to my attention that I left out "Windows Mail", which is the Vista built-in client. If you use this, please indicate "Other", then post "Windows Mail" as your client.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

I use OE most. I realize that Google Mail isn't really a client but I find myself using the POP access more and more especially since it is a lot easier than Webmail access when on the raod or at another computer.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to McSummation

Mod

to McSummation
For most of my email, I use the nmh implementation of MH, so I checked "other" in the poll. I sometime use this with exmh as a GUI frontend, and that also fits the "other" option.

When I need to use a more typical GUI mailer, I currently use evolution (on linux) and thunderbird (on Windows), so I checked those too in the poll. I do use webmail daily (Yahoo, as an SBC/AT&T user), so I also added a vote for that. However I am mainly clearing the spam box, since my serious mail does not go there.

My backup command line mailer in unix is mutt, and my backup mailer in Windows is Pegasus. However I rarely use those, so I did not record a vote for them.

Perhaps I should also mention fetchmail for checking a remote POP3 mailbox and retrieving the mail for reading with a local client.
TheAnalyzer
join:2006-01-20

TheAnalyzer to McSummation

to McSummation
Nice Poll McSummation

I use:
MS Office Outlook 2003

TA

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 edit

lilhurricane to McSummation

Numquam oblita

to McSummation
Excellent poll, McSummation See Profile

I use Outlook Express combined with a wide variety of web mail for filtering
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
I still use Popcorn. Haven't found any reason to switch to anything else yet.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to McSummation

MVM

to McSummation
Great Poll McSummation!

Don't use email software.
Webmail is simple.

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Thunderbird rules for me.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Thunderbird on Windows
Mail on Mac OS X
and
WebMail

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
ThunderBird is my main e-mail client.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

La Luna to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Outlook Express, main email client.

Gmail and Hotmail for crap mail registrations. Seriously hate their interfaces for anything else.

Have used Pegasus in the past, also a nice client.

Also used Thunderbird a while ago, too buggy.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Popcorn and Outlook. In reality, I use Yahoo.ca almost exclusively. Emails that I need to save long-term, I download with Outlook and backup to my external HD.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI

danny9 to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Nice job on the poll McSummation!

Use Outlook Express.
Have an account at Yahoo but just use it once in a blue moon when I don't want to use my main e-mail address.

Rob A
Adjusting
Premium Member
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

Rob A to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Nice poll.

M2 for me

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium Member
join:2004-01-08
WA State

salzan to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Great poll!

Still using an antique paid version of Eudora (5.0.2).

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA

1 edit

StraitShoot to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
I use Outlook 2002 only out of necessity. I have a Motorola Q Phone that I love and Outlook syncs with it for everything: Contacts, Email, Calendar.. to do's.. If I could find another email client that would cover everything I would probably switch but since I have Outlook 2002 I stay with it.. I miss Thunderbird but it won't work ... There is an Add on for around $28 called Birdiesync (»www.birdiesync.com) and I trialed it BUT I was very very unimpressed...I heard the update to Birdiesync straightened out some problems but now I read that Thunderbird lost two of it's developers... That's scary..

Jim

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Thunderbird user since the early days.
Still going strong and getting better all the time.

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

mers2 to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Great poll!

Aside from numerous email accounts, I use Evolution when I'm in Linux and for Windows I've been using Pegasus for many years. Pegasus is an excellent full featured freeware email program.

ChrisJack
Premium Member
join:2006-03-31
Eglin Afb, FL

ChrisJack to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Use outlook express to access my hotmail accounts...

~~Chris

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
aside from outlook and so forth, I also use webmail other then Gmail. Most of the time it's Horde webmail app running on my web/email server as well as squirl mail at times.
CMoore2004
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI

CMoore2004 to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Windows Live Mail Desktop...

I've really fallen in love with it. Along with Windows Live Domains where MS hosts your e-mail with a nice 5GB, everything is sync'ed between all of my computers running Windows Live Mail.

anwgo153
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
Roselle Park, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

anwgo153 to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Yahooooooooo web mail
barryindy
join:2001-05-04
Indianapolis, IN

barryindy to McSummation

to McSummation
Agent

»www.forteinc.com/agent/

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Poco Mail here on 6 machines and Outlook 2003 on 1 machine.

Then, on my Linux partitions, I use Seamonkey mail and Icedove Mail/News.

tahoejeff
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI

tahoejeff to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
i used thunderbird on my mac and windows machines, for family email. i use gmail for my primary email. i have outlook 2007, but have never opened it.
at work, i was recently forced to switch from outlook to Lotus Notes. i didn't see Notes in your list, but i'm sure nobody will miss it.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to McSummation

Mod

to McSummation
Great poll!

I use Outlook 2007 on both my desktop and laptop linked up to DSLR and GMail accounts.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

2 edits

onDvine to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
I use Outlook Express and various web mail services with all messages viewed first through ePrompter: »www.eprompter.com.

ePrompter is a free notification application with a 5-Star CNET rating, and some users consider it to be a mini-client.

It automatically checks up to 16 POP3 and web-based accounts for new messages at intervals selected by the user and shows the numbers in a rotating tray icon.

It displays messages in plain text (view/delete spam safely) and can be used to compose and send plain text messages without visiting a site or opening the main mail client. It includes a rudimentary address book. Though not modern-looking, it's reliable and has an excellent users' support forum.
Expand your moderator at work

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation

Re: [POLL] EMail Clients - 2008 Member Choice

Outlook 2007 at home, and Lotus Notes at work

dancy70
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
Mooresville, NC

1 edit

dancy70 to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Outlook 2002 SP3 here most of the time and essentially for the calendar and contacts functions. I do use web mail for G-Mail, but find the interface a bit clunky, and have Outlook Express for my wife's account on a couple of other computers.