Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FairTriplePlay

Re: Comcast is using Sandvine to manage P2P Connections

said by FairTriplePlay :

Very nice and easy guide to defeat Comcast's questionable (and wrong imo) practices reguarding good 'ol 'Network Management'.
Dead easy way to use SSH (aka a secure connection) so that you may get what you pay for.
So you advocate moving shifting the strain of moving humongous amounts of data to other networks.

What, exactly, is a Comcast customer paying for? Speed, or bandwidth? Last I checked, it was speed.

Would you pay Comcast $1 per Gbit for moving data over 50Gbits per month? 100Gb per month would be an extra $50 tacked onto your Comcast cable HSI bill. 600Gb would be an extra $550. Worth it?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

FairTriplePlay

@comcast.net
Who said anything about massive amounts of data?? Hello?? Not everyone who thinks Comcast is wrong is a filesharing bw hog!!
I also gladly pay for the most expensive tier offered (Blast! 16/2) as well as digital cable WITH the HD package not to mention the NFL pack and my digital phone service. CC is making max profit from my subscriptions. I'd be different if I was d/ling 400GB a month and only paying for the minimal 6MB connection and nothing more.

@espaeth...I'm sure your right, I'm not well versed in these counter measures. By the grace of the internet gods, somehow my connection isn't being hammered by sandvine as much as others. Avg number RSTs are between 15% and 20% allowing me to seed at full speed after completion (140-160k). Only measure I've taken is enabling crypto and lazy bit field even tho these steps have been deemed useless against sandvine.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by FairTriplePlay :

Who said anything about massive amounts of data?? Hello?? Not everyone who thinks Comcast is wrong is a filesharing bw hog!!
The point is, Comcast appears to be using Sandvine to manage bandwidth. You are advocating shifting bandwidth to other networks, which probably aren't expecting to have to handle the traffic. You are offering your advice to BW hogs, whether you are one, yourself, or not.
I also gladly pay for the most expensive tier offered (Blast! 16/2) as well as digital cable WITH the HD package not to mention the NFL pack and my digital phone service. CC is making max profit from my subscriptions. I'd be different if I was d/ling 400GB a month and only paying for the minimal 6MB connection and nothing more.
You are probably one of those caught in the crossfire. Were it not for BW hogs, you would probably not encounter this Sandvine problem.

I don't know what it would take to plan for a metered service. Comcast has to pay for X amount of capacity from its transit providers; and it needs to be able to plane for that capacity, especially to avoid the 95th percentile charges. Okay, I don't know if that is the term I want. But there is a fee charged by transit providers if your BW consumption exceeds some specified amount. Pretty hefty one, too. Comcast has to be able to predict that usage when it plans for network capacity.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum