tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

New Users Sign In

Seems like we have a lot of new people join our little gang madhouse group in the last couple of weeks, so I thought it might be nice to get you all together in one place to introduce yourselves and your Macs...

sarzos
join:2001-11-25
Orland Park, IL

sarzos

I dropped in a little while ago. Hello Hello..Dual processor
G-4 running OSX 10.1.1 all the time.
gateguy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
i joined dsl reports awhile back but was not posting, mainly becuase i was reading from work.

I have an imac 400, a performa 6200cd, an apple IIgs, and a POS wintel box with ME on it.
rjmatson
join:2001-12-06
Aurora, CO

rjmatson to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Greets! B&W 400mhz here, running 9.2.2..

valmg
Neutiquam Erro.
join:2001-05-07
Brick, NJ

valmg to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Hi! Not so new, also not so old here. Read constantly on lousy pc at work, have 3 macs (grape imac, pb 1400, powermac 6100/66av with g3 card) at home, adding 4th (indigo imac for son) at Christmas.

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd
join:2001-03-03
Bronx, NY

ECR3

Welcome to DSLR to all

lmao @
said by valmg:
Read constantly on lousy pc at work
shhh we won't tell the boss you were on DSLR during hours, hehehe
said by valmg:
adding 4th (indigo imac for son) at Christmas.
Darn what a awesome father you are, hey need an extra son ? lol

Tex Longhorn
45-35
MVM
join:2001-01-05
Luckenbach

Tex Longhorn to valmg

MVM

to valmg
Welcome newbies! Have you all considered joining the RC5 team? The Macs really do a great job, especially the dp's. There are quite a few of us on the team. If you are interested, click here
Tex Longhorn

Tex Longhorn to ECR3

MVM

to ECR3
said by ECR:
Darn what a awesome father you are, hey need an extra son ? lol
From a previous post, I believe valmag stated that she is a female. Pardon me if I am mistaken.

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd
Bronx, NY

ECR3

said by TXlonghorn:

From a previous post, I believe valmag stated that she is a female. Pardon me if I am mistaken.
I don't read prior posts yet oops, then I'll just go with parent thereby leaving it generic

JJ
Beat It, Bill
MVM
join:2000-02-18
Madison, WI

JJ to gateguy

MVM

to gateguy
said by gateguy:
I have an imac 400, a performa 6200cd, an apple IIgs, and a POS wintel box with ME on it.
An Apple IIgs! That takes me back! When that machine first came out I was working in a software store, and we received a display model to run demo software. In walks this guy who does a double take when he sees it. He asks me "Is that an Apple IIgs?!?" I said yep. He said "Wow! Can get that (points at the monitor) but not that other stuff (points at CPU and external drive) and still do things with it?" I said ummm...no, and thought the guy was some computer newbie. But then he says "Hey! Is that one of those new 3.5" external floppy drives?!?" Truly confused, I said ummm...yes it is. The guys runs over to it, pulls the disk out of the drive hold it up to his nose and says "So that's what they smell like!" That did it. I spent the rest of my shift hiding behind the Commodore 64 software. Sorry for the long story, but whenever I see mention of a IIgs I always think of that guy LOL I'm glad my retail days are behind me!

Copzilla$
Mmm... Donuts
join:2000-10-10
Friendswood, TX

Copzilla$

said by johanneson:
An Apple IIgs! That takes me back! When that machine first came out I was working in a software store, and we received a display model to run demo software. In walks this guy who does a double take when he sees it. He asks me "Is that an Apple IIgs?!?"
OMG, that's completely freakin' hilarious! LOL! Any more first-hand (ie, not urban legend) freaky stories of techno-idjits? Anyone?
teo1
join:2001-12-04
Hillsboro, OR

teo1 to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Thanks for making us feel welcome.

I dropped in for some tea and sympathy while dealing with my attbi setup woes. What a relief to find so many active Mac users. I use a Powerbase (upgraded to a G3) at home and lust for latest G4's. At work, I surf dslreports while the boss ain't lookin' and I've been known to pull out a Newton and play a little chess during the occasional business meeting.

Did anyone read the Wall Street Journal article on Friday morning about guerilla wifi networking in Colorado? I'd give you a link but the WSJ online is proprietary content. In short, a scoundrel has hacked together a fairly active 802.b wireless network in Aspen using surplus Russian radio equipment, Pringles chip cans and baling wire. Inspirational reading - even for capitalists like myself!

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
hey welcome ya newbies! *Sprays all of you with champagne and confetti* Val, I saw in another forum *ahem* that you have a husky? What a gorgeous poochy!

Have fun everyone, and enjoy ATM! I am off to test my ATTBI connection, or what there is of it!

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd
Bronx, NY

ECR3 to teo1

to teo1
said by teo1:
...I've been known to pull out a Newton and play a little chess during the occasional business meeting...
Which model Newton do you own?

el scorcho
Cupid Stunt
join:2000-12-01
Brooklyn, NY

el scorcho

Apple G4, Powermac 6100, Mac IIfx...

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd
Bronx, NY

ECR3

said by scorcho:
Powermac 6100
Back in my first college's newspaper I inherited the use of a PM 6100, the 6100/60 the editor in chief who purchased it just bought it and used it as his base away from home to dip and swap programs on and off, when he left I upgraded her (a her cause the staff months back named her Mother [go figure she was the highest model computer in the newsroom -you can do the math]) past what Apple noted was her max I ended up amazing the campus' Apple tech, (after leaving the campus) I heard through the woodwind she was torn up for her chips by that rep as he claimed there was a virus in her rendering her useless *sigh*

el scorcho
Cupid Stunt
join:2000-12-01
Brooklyn, NY

el scorcho

the 6100 was/is a sexy computer still. i hardly turn it on except for nostalgia reasons tho

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd
Bronx, NY

ECR3

said by scorcho:
the 6100...
Hell and for nostalgic reasons cool just to keep it period, it still can kick rear if used I'd bet plus chips and so forth are inexpensive, all the best to you and your 6100.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Not sure if I count as a new user or not, but I'm here, anyway. I do software QA work for a company that makes servers, and there aren't any Macs there to speak of, so I'm always happy to come home to my Macs and see computing done the way it should be.

My main machines are:

Cube (450MHz G4)
7500 (400MHz G3 Upgrade)

My wife has an iBook, and it's connected to our network through an AirPort. I'm hooked up to DSL through DIRECTV DSL, and running an Asante Cable/DSL Router that connects all the ethernet machines. The printer is hooked up on a LocalTalk network via an Asante iPrint adapter.

I also have a whole pile of old Macs that I'm going to use to start a musem, hopefully having them hooked up to a LocalTalk network, and plugged into my ethernet network.

Performa 6400/200
Centris 610
IIci
SE/30
LC
Plus
Original Macintosh

Wheeeeee!

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd
Bronx, NY

ECR3 to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Off the date you joined and the number of post you have you are not new but what neat plans you have your old model Apple computers. Like that line the one of the way computing should be, should be in some Apple ad and/or commercial.

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34 to bobrk

Premium Member

to bobrk
Hey Bob,

Seems that a couple of us are on a quest for getting wireless to work on a wired network.

Can you take a minute to describe your settings for the 2 sides of that network?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

Well, so far it's a work in progress. First of all, I'm running OS X on the Cube, so many things bear on that, most importantly, the use of TCP/IP based AppleTalk.

My first crack at doing all this started with using manual addresses for everything. This works well, except I can't see any of the other computers on the AppleTalk side. If I use DHCP on the router, I can see the other computers on the network, even if my Cube is set to manual. Very odd things going on, that's for sure.

Anyway, the AirPort is set up manually, and also to be a bridge betwen the ethernet network and the airport network. Works really well. What problems have people been having?

Johnny34
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium Member
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA

Johnny34

Premium Member

said by bobrk:

My first crack at doing all this started with using manual addresses for everything. This works well, except I can't see any of the other computers on the AppleTalk side. If I use DHCP on the router, I can see the other computers on the network, even if my Cube is set to manual. Very odd things going on, that's for sure.

Anyway, the AirPort is set up manually, and also to be a bridge betwen the ethernet network and the airport network. Works really well. What problems have people been having?
My network is a combined wireless and wired as well, with the iBook being the only wireless client. Neither the iMac nor the Yosemite can see the iBook, but it can see them. Also, i ran a TCPdump from the Terminal and it showed the IP 10.0.0.2 being requested which is the ABS default mask, but the actual IP that I set for the ABS is 192.168.1.100. Third, the iMac shows itself in the Appletalk list and the iBook does not show itself. All computers can see the Internet no problem, and filesharing works as long as the wired machines are accessed from either each other or from the iBook - neither can see or mount the iBook. Weird.

Bubba T seemed to be having the same or similar problem - only one-way recognition of the wired-wireless.

jipper
join:2001-01-04
Stanton, MI

jipper to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Hello I am a first time poster long time watcher. I have a Ibook 500mhs and loving everybit of it!

valmg
Neutiquam Erro.
Brick, NJ

valmg to ECR3

to ECR3
Ray, I'm a mom, but I'll take the compliment all the same! The husband can turn one on on a good day (the computer).

Gengar, yes I have a gorgeous husky named (corrected spelling) Nookie. He loves to cuddle and steal coffee.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

hehehe Nookie looks so cool, Val! Careful if he steals too much coffee, or you will never get any sleep! My Alaskan Mals Bearinger and Guinness (both rescues) keep me awake more often than not!

As always, glad to see some new faces around here!

LowJack
join:2000-07-19
Seattle, WA

LowJack to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos

Greetings to everyone.

Just wanted to say hi to the old and the new.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

Fine Phorte, be that way.. im not old and im not new! lol

LowJack
join:2000-07-19
Seattle, WA

LowJack to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos

Hehe.

LOL!

valmg
Neutiquam Erro.
Brick, NJ

valmg to Homunculus

to Homunculus

Re: New Users Sign In

Gengar, he loves to hang out on the couch and snuggle. Maybe he thinks he's a cat. He is awesome with my 2 sons. But. He'll eat anything he can find on the counter, and has taken things out of the sink while we're at work. We can't leave anything out that might be edible, and that isn't always the obvious. His previous owner was an older gentleman and I think the man was lonely so let the dog do whatever he wants. Other than the counter thing, he's a perfect dog. I am not sure, exactly what is the difference between an alaskan Malamute and a Siberian Husky. I tried figuring it out before we got Nookie, and aside from the weight and maybe the coat and a couple of pounds, I didn't pick up on any major differences. Any idea?