how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tsmith20

join:2007-07-18
Cadillac, MI

Using a cell phone and fax machine?

We dont have any cell phones. We own a sign business and we need the fax machine. And my mom doesnt want to pay for a plan and home phone. A few weeks ago my friend dropped their house phone and they are just using cell phones. So I thought we could do that. I asked my mom if we could do the same .. but only if we could still use the fax machine. So is there a way we can use the cell phone and the fax machine so they can work without a home phone?

CMoore2004
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI

Got broadband? There are cheap fax services online, or you can use Vonage so you don't need a land-line.

tsmith20

Cadillac, MI

1 edit

No other broadband options sadly .. only satelight never getting that because of xbox live.

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Plymouth, MI
reply to tsmith20

Without broadband your only option for a fax machine is a POTS line. I suggest downgrading to the bare minimum service level on the line to keep the cost down.

If this is a residential line you should just get call plan 50 with absolutely no calling features.

Who is the provider in your area? Is it AT&T, Verizon or another independent?

GDATL
Premium
join:2002-02-08
Atlanta, GA
reply to tsmith20

As CMoore2004 said above, there are online fax services available and they work fine. You will need internet access, and some online services will also allow you to access faxes by cellphone or PDA. When a fax is sent to you, you get a PDF of it in an email. To send, you send an image via email to the users fax number (thru the online service). While it is not the only service around, eFax.com has been around for quite a few years.
--
GDATL - Atlanta GA

tsmith20

Cadillac, MI
reply to tsmith20

I checked out that www.efax.com and it cost $16 a month for the pro package. They said there is a free package I think .. but, they dont talk about it to much. I wanted to get the free package because you cant send no more than 200 faxes per month. And my mom only send 20-30 per month se we dont need the pro. Is there even a free package? Can someone clear this free efax stuff up?

keason
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to tsmith20

You can definitely use a cell with a fax. Check out www.telular.com. You can attach a fax machine to many of their fixed cellular devices. You'll probably want a GSM model.

If you don't need a local phone #, check out www.faxaway.com
Inbound fax is $1 per month, no limit. You can send faxes via email.

Be aware that it might take more than 1 minute per page to send a fax.

A better bet is probably a single landline with 2 phone numbers (distinctive ring) and a distinctive ring line-switching device with a minimal number of options.

GDATL
Premium
join:2002-02-08
Atlanta, GA
reply to tsmith20

tsmith20,

When you go to the efax.com web page, just click on the "products" page and you will see a comparison of all 3 levels of service they offer: PRO @ $19.95/mo, PLUS @ $16.95/mo and FREE at $0. The chart that shows on their web site clearly outlines the features of each service.

They definitely offer a free service, with limited functionality, as I have several friends that use the free service and others that use the PLUS service. As I mentioned, there are several other providers that offer online fax services that function similarly, so I can't say that there isn't a better one. eFax is just the only one that I can talk about from experience.
--
GDATL - Atlanta GA

RX300

join:2004-02-23
Bluff Dale, TX

1 edit
reply to tsmith20

Yes you can and you don't need a fax machine.
The BlueSoleil bluetooth stack installs a DUN modem and a FAX modem. Bluetooth BlueSoleil USB dongles are cheap. The fax service in XP is usually not installed but it is there in "windows components" when you add/ remove programs in the control panel. Your phone has to have bluetooth.
Once setup the computer sends and receives faxes through the fax modem that is connected via bluetooth to the phone.
There are other USB bluetooth devices out there but the BlueSoleil is easier to work with.
The info is out there. Here is a start:
»bluetooth-explorer.blogspot.com/···oth.html

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

You don't need broadband for a fax service, how big of a file is your fax going to be?

You can pay 10 bucks a month for a fax service that you use with your email.