Premium Member
join:2003-05-10
Painesville, OH

2 edits

13 recommendations

georgequ

Premium Member

[Update] Hello. I am back to stay

Well, it is now official, I am back to stay. Thankfully, most of the ordeal, since the surgery is
rather a blur, I remember that a few days before the surgeon giving me my options.
One, chime, with a lot of chemo associated misery and pain, and of course no cure, just a
remission.
Two surgery, promising a 100% cure if successful, my odds according to the surgeon, with 6
years experience of doing this sort op surgery with ZERO fatalities were 40 to 60. only a 40%
change of survival. But I liked the alternative, figuring in `the surgeons track record and the
promise of a 100% cure better than the chemo route. So surgery it was.

The date for surgery was twice postponed, first time because the surgeon did not like the
“clothing factor” in my blood, This came about 20 minutes before the actual surgery. I was
given two liters of blood, which for some reason I failed to understand. had to, according to the
doctor and nurses, be “cooked” first. Well, he still did not like the readings , postponed again,
and I was given 3 liters of a substance called “blood plasma”, that looked like vanilla pudding.
Finally surgery was scheduled for July 24th. at 7:00 AM.

All I remember about the ordeal is saying a final goodbye to my family. The surgery took an
unprecedented seven hours. But I did not regain conciseness until the afternoon of July 25th. I
was during this time interval that the Doc told my family to start making arrangements.
On that day I remember waking up and asking my daughter Heidi, when they were going to go
ahead and do the surgery. She informed that is was done “yesterday” and the doc got every
thing out. No chemo necessary WOW. Nice Doc.

I do not know many details about the surgery, other than the surgeon removed two ribs, and
another bone on MY back plus 3/4 inch of scar tissue from previous infections. I know that
things probably did not go 100% as planned, Witness the facts that I spend 14 days in ICU
rather than the customary three or four. And the doc prescribed me morphine for the pain up
until about a week before I was discharged. 2 Mg every four hours on top of the usual 50 MG
after surgery. It went like this. Morphine allowed: 50Mg in 5 Mg intervals whenever the patient
pushed the button. After the morphine is gone, no exceptions no excuses I was told, all you get
after the morphine was gone is percoset.

I was finally discharged on August 19th 2006. almost a month after the surgery. While
recuperating, I had two more brief hospital stays, one for a torn rota tor cup in my right
shoulder, caused by pulling myself up in bed, and the second one for a blood cloth in the same
shoulder,

All in all I lost 110 lb. of what turned out to be mostly muscle, beer belly remains to this day
I have regained 65 lb. and of this morning I weighted 175 lb.. up from 110 lb. when I was
discharged.

It has been a long hard road, lots of pain even now I still need a percoset every four to six
hours. I would not wish this experience on my worst enemy.

On top of all this I have developed diabetic neurapoty, which is no fun and also causes a lot of
pain. But in between I go grocery shopping with Heidi pushing my wheel chair.We go out to
eat now and then and my PEG tube is being removed Tuesday. And, as of this morning I am
even able to go potty all by myself. Yes sir I am a Big boy now.
George.

January 8, 2009 Update: »[Info] Progree / regress report

/

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

Thanks for the post. This is just...SO Good to hear.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

rusdi to georgequ

MVM

to georgequ
It truly is wonderful to see you again George!

I can't imagine the ordeal, and consequent pain, but I am glad you found a good Dr. and are now on the mend!

Soon, I know you will be up, and roller skating, and back to cracking jokes & puns here with us in Team Helix once again!

Get (completely) well George! We all missed you, buddy!

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium Member
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX

lonnyb to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Yes, thank you for the post.
You have my prayers.

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure

mouseferatu to georgequ

MVM

to georgequ
I am more than happy to see you here all in one piece, but not as surprised as some might be...

I figured that it would take more than cancer, a few missing bones, and a couple of surgeries to take you out, George. Your girl, Heidi, simply wasn't going to have that, you know!

Vaprotan
Vaprotan
Premium Member
join:2002-07-03
Kingsport, TN
Technicolor C2000T

Vaprotan to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Welcome back George!

I'm glad the surgeon was able to get everything out at one time. Also for the neuropathic pain you might want to inquire about Lyrica or Neurontin, as both of these medications are used for that and have seen some great results in others with it.

Good luck to you and I'll keep you in my prayers!

Akasha
OT Queen
Premium Member
join:2006-08-10
Am I lost?

Akasha to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Welcome Home George.
We missed you.

TwoFrogs
Times Fun when You're Having Flies
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Redlands, CA

TwoFrogs to georgequ

MVM

to georgequ
Heckuva way to lose weight, George! Thank you for sharing with us what many would find to be difficult to talk about; a lot of folk were very concerned about your welfare. Yes, we trust you are back to stay with us for a long time.

Give Chicken Eddy my regards, although I think you won't be seeing him professionally.

GeorgeCr
Funny it worked last time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-18
Sheffield,UK

GeorgeCr to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Congrats georgequ See Profile! Glad its working out.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

3 edits

Sunny to georgequ

to georgequ
I so love happy stories about people we love. Thank you for making such a brave decision and for courageously seeing it through. Heidi has such a wonderful dad.

I very much missed that puppy avatar, George.

Updated ---> »Team Helix Members »Who is on our prayer and good thoughts list?

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium Member
join:2002-01-21
Over Here

ehansman to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
So good to see you back! Missed you!!!

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to georgequ

to georgequ

What great news! Thanks so much for the update, and it sure is good to see you'll be hanging around for a long time to come!!!

-Matt
60290406 (banned)
don't get uranus ablaze
join:2004-06-10
out there

60290406 (banned) to georgequ

to georgequ
Your strength and resolve are inspirational to us all, George.

Vtblues
if you can't get out of it, get in to it
Premium Member
join:2006-05-29
Brookfield, VT

Vtblues to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
I actually got choked up hearing what you went through but can't beat the ending

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO

simplykristi to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
I am sooo glad to see you back online! Take care of yourself!

Kristi

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus to georgequ

Mod

to georgequ

Good to see you George!Best wishes for continued good health and recovery! Im thrilled for you and yours!

meester4
Premium Member
join:2000-06-03
Oklahoma City, OK

meester4 to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Good luck George I feel for you. Last Summer I spent 97 days in the Hosp almost 60 day in ICU. hopefully things will get better for you.I know its not fun.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Wow George! As I read this my eyes have welled with tears. What an inspiration you are! Thank the Heaven's and all deities that you are with us and are fighting well!

Seven or so years ago I was standing on an ice covered bridge more than 100 feet above a frozen riverbed struggling with the hardest decision of my life, and while struggling with my desire to end it all, thoughts raced through my head like bullets. One such type of thought was how there were people like you out there, fighting the good fight to live, and here I was ready to cop out. As I fell to tears thinking of that and my family overseas, I made sure that I fell backwards so that it didn't end.

It is greatly because of brave souls like you that I am alive my own self. I will remember your story and I just have to say, I couldn't be more thankful to know someone than to "know" you.

Life is so precious. Thank goodness yours is with us, I am so very glad to hear from you, my good man. And may I just come out and say: Nowhere in this post have you complained! Wow, if only I could be like you, you are my hero!

Now I have to go wash my face because I am sobbing and I don't want my roomate to see me this way. Thanks for contacting us and God BLESS YOU eternally!

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy to georgequ

MVM

to georgequ
Good to see you back George. I have faith that all will turn out just fine. You have come this far and you will have a complete recovery. Keep the faith and visit as you are able. Don't want to get run down with to much activity even if it is just typing..

mig
MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA

mig to georgequ

MVM

to georgequ
Great to have you back George!

Glad to hear you are on the mend too.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Welcome back George, it is great to have you back in the saddle!

Voodoo288
Common Sense Dictates
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Richmond, VA

Voodoo288 to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Glad to hear your back George!

Sheesh
I Am The Lizard King
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Windsor, ON

Sheesh to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
Glad things are going better for you. We are happy to see you back here again.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to georgequ

MVM

to georgequ
Before you know it, you'll have a paper route again!

I know all this news has been an answer to many, many prayers!

marica69
Fiber To The Farm
Premium Member
join:2004-07-06
Blooming Prairie, MN

marica69 to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
George,

It is so great to have you back and on the mend. I will keep you in our prayers hoping that your pain will subside. It is good to hear that you are able to go out with family and that you are now able to type to us again here at helix. Take care.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to georgequ

Mod

to georgequ
I've been waiting, and hoping, for this post for a while now. The ordeal you have been through as been quite something but it's great to hear you are improving and that the road ahead looks good.

Thanks for making my Saturday, and welcome back georgequ See Profile.

Carol6
Premium Member
join:2001-07-08
Garden City, ID

Carol6 to georgequ

Premium Member

to georgequ
So goo to see you again! You're still in our prayers.

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero to georgequ

MVM,

to georgequ
Great to hear. Take care of yourself!