MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to Ignite

MVM

to Ignite

Re: Don't Judge Comcast Too Harshly...

said by Ignite:

No widespread or otherwise implementation of IPTV VoD that I'm aware of uses TCP for its' streams. Some of the setup of the streams such as ordering would be TCP however the stream itself is UDP.
Good to know. Is there generally an ACK/NAK mechanism that would generate small packets?
I am interested in where you get that you shared more than 38Mbps in former Adelphia areas though. The vanilla DOCSIS used only supplies a maximum of 38Mbps per channel and while you can send multiple channels down a segment, meaning that each is shared between less people, it's still 38Mbps that they are sharing.
Bad assumption on my part. Adelphia was DOCSIS 2 while the rest of Comcast is 1.1. I assumed that DOCSIS 2 would mean more pooled bandwidth, but I guess it just means "more pools."

Thanks for picking that up.

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

Ignite

Premium Member

said by funchords:

Good to know. Is there generally an ACK/NAK mechanism that would generate small packets?
The major source of small packets is online gaming!
Bad assumption on my part. Adelphia was DOCSIS 2 while the rest of Comcast is 1.1. I assumed that DOCSIS 2 would mean more pooled bandwidth, but I guess it just means "more pools."

Thanks for picking that up.
No worries. DOCSIS 2 doesn't mean anything for downstream bandwidth at all, dual or more downstreams can be done with DOCSIS 1.0 / 1.1 just as well, 2 is purely upstream enhancements.