uniqs
share rss forum feed

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to DotMac4

Re: Give them an inch, they take a mile.

Not really changing the copyrighted work if the injects are outside (i.e. top, side, bottom) of the page itself. Looking at the above screen caps, it doesn't seem that the pages themselves have changing, only relocated on the users' screens.

DotMac4
Shill H8r
Premium
join:2007-10-26
Huntington Beach, CA
They changed they appearance of a copyrighted work. If I take newpapers off the stand and put ad stickers in the margins I'm changing the page.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
It looks like the copyrighted work is still intact to me, just relocated. It would be the same as sliding the newspaper to the right on the stand and placing an ad next to it, not on it.

DotMac4
Shill H8r
Premium
join:2007-10-26
Huntington Beach, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

Uh no. You don't seem to understand how pages get rendered. The ISP has to inspect, intercept and then MODIFY Googles copyrighted HTML to add and locate their content (the javascript which obtains and displays the usage data).

There aren't separate HTML pages. There is one HTML page that the browser loads and that's the one the ISP took upon itself to modify.

backness

join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2
reply to openbox9
sliding it to the side would be a pop under, not a whole new layout to the page

netposer

join:2003-02-06
Nashville, NC
reply to openbox9
That's not a frame or outside the browser. I bet if you looked at the source for that google page the JavaScript would be embedded into the HTML page served to you from google.com.

So what they did is intercept what google sent to you, injected the JS into the source and then gave it to you. So by any definition that is changing the content without google's consent.