join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to brianiscool

Re: Death is near

»www.philly.com/philly/news/local···371.html

The firm Philadelphia has retained to build a citywide wireless Internet network has spent millions more than its anticipated costs and cannot say when it will complete the project, City Council members were told yesterday.

In fact, EarthLink Inc. representatives didn't show up for a committee hearing on Wireless Philadelphia. The company's retreat from the municipal-wireless business prompted the hearing. But EarthLink made clear by its absence that it did not want to be peppered with questions in public as it rethinks its business strategy. All that money spent for a few thousand people. What a waste!!

EarthLink said it had spent more than $20 million to establish the broadband wireless service, "in excess of the $12 million to $15 million anticipated by the city and EarthLink at the outset of the project."

The network is substantially built, the company said, but neither EarthLink nor city officials could provide a date for when the system would be completed.

Greg Goldman, CEO of the city-created nonprofit Wireless Philadelphia, said EarthLink's network had "several thousand" subscribers so far.
Hardly surprising that a Muni-Wifi project is way over budget and behind schedule. Involve politicians and city government and that is what happens. All that money spent for only a few thousand people. What a waste!!
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

jhboricua
ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-06
Minneapolis, MN

said by FFH:

Hardly surprising that a Muni-Wifi project is way over budget and behind schedule. Involve politicians and city government and that is what happens. All that money spent for only a few thousand people. What a waste!!
Still a speck of dust compared to the $2.1 billion in incentives Verizon received from Pennsylvania for services that never materialized. Involve politicians, city government and Verizon and that is what happens. All that money spent for NOTHING. What a waste!!

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

1 recommendation

said by jhboricua:

Still a speck of dust compared to the $2.1 billion in incentives Verizon received from Pennsylvania for services that never materialized.
Source? You don't have one and I call B.S.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by batterup:

said by jhboricua:

Still a speck of dust compared to the $2.1 billion in incentives Verizon received from Pennsylvania for services that never materialized.
Source? You don't have one and I call B.S.
Teletruth and their one man campaign against telcos keeps spreading this lie. And the uninformed keep repeating it ad nauseum.
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

clickie8

join:2005-05-22
Monroe, MI

Hmmm. He's quiet now.

Supervisor
Premium
join:2006-03-26
Marysville, PA
reply to batterup

You mean like this?
»Picture Perfect Deal

tapeloop
Not bad at all, really.
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Airstrip One
kudos:1

The rest is silence.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to Supervisor

said by Supervisor:

You mean like this?
»Picture Perfect Deal
So what. All that item did was parrot Teletruth.
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to Supervisor

said by Supervisor:

You mean like this?
»Picture Perfect Deal
quote:
Critics charge that Bell Atlantic made billions off of the deal, while offering services they knew would never see the light of day.

Who are the critics?