Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

I get this nagging cough every winter

For the last 3 years or so I get this nagging cough every winter and only in the winter. Its like an annoying tickle in my throat that won't go away, and it's even worse when I lay down. I have to have a coughdrop or mint in my mouth to get a little relief to fall asleep. It always clears up when the weather gets warmer.
Does anyone suffer from this and has found a cure? Over the counter fixes are only temporal. I'm willing to try anything short of drinking some 87 octane gasoline.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

nonameyet
I Make Them Ring..Ring
Premium
join:2000-12-19
Sellersville, PA

time to quit smoking

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

1 recommendation

Have you tried a humidifier in your room?

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to nonameyet

said by nonameyet:

time to quit smoking
The last time I smoked was about twenty years ago, and it was also my last time, the session last about a whole eight seconds
--

ravencajun
Premium
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to natedj

sounds like a sinus drip problem, it drips into the back of your throat causing the tickle and is worse when laying down. I have had problems with that pretty much all my life.
making sure you have no signs of sinus infection will help and using saline nasal washes also helps keep the sinus clean and less likely to drip. Ask your doc about it.
I take zyrtec nightly to help with my allergies which tends to aggrevate mine. Zyrtec just went generic last week and will be available with out prescription now.

Using a throat spray that numbs the back of the throat can help because you do not feel the sensation of the drip so do not cough. Like Chloroseptic.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Sweet Witch

said by Sweet Witch:

Have you tried a humidifier in your room?
Concur try this route first see if it helps..

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to natedj

I've had sinus problems all my life, but I started drinking about 4-6 glasses of water a day and I have not have a sinus attack this past year which is a first for me, but that didn't rid me of the seasonal cough.
I learn something new about my sinuses all the time ... thanks ravencajun See Profile.
Oh and Sweet Witch See Profile I'll have to dig that humidifier out of the closet ... thanks for the reminder
--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

Yep, your throat is probably dry because it's winter and if the heat is on (not sure about that down there in SC?).

It's brutal up here for the same reasons. Dry skin, tickly throat. Just another reason why I hate winter.

james1

join:2001-02-26
reply to natedj

said by natedj:

I get this nagging cough every winter and only in the winter.
haha, you and about 100 million other people.

No but seriously, these other guys are right, it's probably the humidity. Another thing it could be is household allergies (dust/dustmite poop) since there is no fresh air, you could try an anti-histamine.

Axekick

join:2005-05-01
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to natedj

Yes, I have that problem and can greatly alleviate it by monitoring and maintaining a humidity level inside of my house of at least 40%.

I got an electronic air monitor that shows the air quality, temperature, humidity level,etc.. for about $30. Then I purchased two cool mist room humidifiers and often need to run them if the furnace runs too often(very cold weather).

You may try breathing some steam vapors during one of your coughing spells and if the steam provides relief I would think it's a safe bet that proper humidity levels would do the same.

Good luck.

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
reply to natedj

Where did you get the monitor and what brand is it?

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to natedj

Also I forgot to mention, try some Saline Spray for your nose in the morning.

thewayitis

join:2005-12-13
usa
reply to natedj

I second the Saline nasal spray it's cheap (over- the- counter) and easy. I spray 2 or more times aday.

DownTheShore
Russia Lies, Ukraine Dies
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
reply to natedj

Mucinex to thin out the mucus drip.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to natedj

Could be allergies - especially dust, or really dry air or very mild asthma. dry, cold air makes my wifes asthma much worse - thankfully she does not have bad asthma.
--
Brian

Free health care is 100% a misnomer - it is not free and never will be free.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to natedj

Same exact problems here. Its allergies to dust. I have been seeing an ENT doctor and hope to alleviate some of this. Some drugs work well.

The doctor felt I had a chronic sinus infection as well; that would simply not go away. Was being treated with heavy antibiotics; but not really sure if it helped. Nasal spray works really well. He recommended the sinus rinse, but I can't stand it.

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to natedj

Well I tried the humidifier last night and I had a good rest, a noticeable difference in coughing and discomfort. Seems like the general consensus is recommending some sort of nasal spray but I almost rather drink gas that shove liquid up my nose. It may not be that bad, but just the thought of it makes me cringe and my wife keeps dangling a bottle of it in front of me.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Saline solution is no big deal and it is the ONLY thing OTC you want to spray in the nose. Stay away from all other nasal sprays. It is a mist - not a shot out of a garden hose.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to natedj

said by natedj:

general consensus is recommending some sort of nasal spray but I almost rather drink gas that shove liquid up my nose.
Yeah, I was the same way, and think I fought nasal spray for the past 30 years. They have come a long way. I finally broke down and gave it a try - prescription spray, Nasonex. (Some sprays work for some; some for others.) It was one of the best moves I made in this regard. And it is not as horrible as I thought - not even close. Give it a shot.

I will say, however, that after spraying in the morning; the post-nasal drip increases (as all the mucus loosens up). For the rest of the day, however, I feel great. My nose is finally clear for the first time in like 30 years.

reply to natedj

Get your prescription meds here....

Just joking, and a bad one. A therapeutic vitamin regiment will fix you. Get high gamma vitamin e. It comes in 200 IU pills. Zinc 50 mg, Vitamin C 500 mg and beta carotene 25,000. All at Wal Mart. With your largest meal take 3 vitamin e and half a zinc, 2 beta carotene and 1 vitamin c. At one other time in the day take another 1 ea of the e,a and c. I usually skip a day on the zinc because it seems to be more than enough. Don't on cold season, and take a full zinc if you are starting to get sick. You will go years with never a sniffle or scratchy throat and you will be and feel a lot healthier.

Axekick

join:2005-05-01
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to natedj

The name on the monitor is Oregon Scientific 'Air Quality Monitor' and I ordered it from some discount site online. Sorry I really do not recall which one but am sure you could find one, or similar if you Google it.

Edit: I just Googled it myself and found it where I ordered it from Overstock.com, currently on sale for $5.99. Here is the link or go to their website and search them out by name.

»www.overstock.com/Health-Wellnes···896&fp=F

thewayitis

join:2005-12-13
usa
reply to natedj

As CylonRed said it's a mist. The salt water irrigation method feels like a garden hose:-(

Went to Mayo for a second opinion on surgery this is what they recommended.

Ocean spray:
»phillypharmacyinc.stores.yahoo.n···rsp.html

Spraying things up your nose isn't for everyone you won't be out much if you don't like it.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to natedj

We have a Honeywell - it gives temp and humidity levels - maybe cost us $30 at a hardware store.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to thewayitis

said by thewayitis:

I second the Saline nasal spray it's cheap (over- the- counter) and easy. I spray 2 or more times aday.
Yep, go get yourself a nasal spray of some sort (being the saline type..as the other posters have noted..not a medicinal one) ...I had the same problem last winter, that was the only thing that cleared it up..Mine was called 'Simple Saline'..worked beautiful.
--
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

natedj
Elected
Premium
Columbia, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to natedj

Okay guys, I'm convinced and I have a short short grocery list now.
Nasal spray, air monitor and Vitamins ..... I'll get it with the co-pay you guys saved me
--

dougeb

join:2008-02-02
reply to natedj

Hi I just saw your post. I've had the same/similar condition for years. My answer assumes you're not a long-term smoker, worked with asbestos or other environmental product, or are allergic to environmental materials. Just as virtuall anyone can get dry-skin patches on their arms/elbows/hands from bathing in chlorinated water, I believe the same thing happens in our respiratory ract in the winter. In fact, in 2004 during a particularly bad spell I cracked a rib coughing so hard and had my lungs scoped thinking my chronic cough could be a symptom of something more serious. Result was only dry-air irritation. What I do now is simply keep a humidifyer in EVERY room. For the bedroom you should keep dust off everything because, even if you're not clinically allergic, the dust/mites and the enzyme in their excrement serve as an additional irritant to your system. Usually, no matter what I do I get 1 annual flare-up (can come from breathing diesel exhaust from a truck, sawdust or plaster dust from a construcation area etc. the only way I can get the symptoms to subside is to find a doc who will provide prednisone dose-packs over 5 or 6 days. This has always taken care of it.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
reply to natedj

It's probably an allergy following a cold.

psicop
More human than human
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Australia
reply to natedj

Strengthen the internal energy of your body and things like your problem will fall into oblivion.

I have been practicing it for a number of years now and I am disease and pain free.

Qigong is an awesome exercise I would recommend you. You guys in the US have quite a number of masters of this ancient spiritual art.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

»video.google.com/videoplay?docid···27121512

If you are interested, where do you live? So I can look if there are any in your State.

Good luck.