spc
uniqs

anonnnn
@csc.net.au

anonnnn to Neosum

Anon

to Neosum

Re: Windows XP: How to disable automatic idle lock

I am having this problem on a work computer. On my old computer the auto locking time was quite reasonable, but since I have moved to a new computer it happens after only 2 minutes of inactivity.

Many frustrated msdn and google searches have yielded thousands of "check your screen saver" solutions, however on my old computer when the screen saver first came on, if i moved the mouse within the first few mintues the computer would not be locked. Also, I have seen many computers that are locked (after a period of inactivity) but have no screen saver on. So there must be some setting for locking an idle computer that is NOT related to the screen saver and yet nobody knows where it is?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by anonnnn :

So there must be some setting for locking an idle computer that is NOT related to the screen saver and yet nobody knows where it is?
I guess I'm nobody, since I know where it is.

Two things may happen on inactivity:

1) Screen saver. May be password protected. See "on resume, password protect" on screen-saver settings.

2) Power management. See "prompt for password when computer returns from standby" on Power Options control-panel applet.