share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

It was approved by the moron voters

The BBR story neglected to mention that the voters approved this law on election day.

With all precincts reporting this morning, 66 percent of voters supported the measure. It needed a simple majority to pass.
I'll bet these same morons will be complaining about paying taxes on their internet connections and blaming the telcos and cable companies for adding a new FEE to their bills.
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

wow. If that is the case, do people even bother to check what they are voting for these days?

Hope these people don't bitch and moan about it.
--
anidb.net - Anime Collection

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

said by loli:

wow. If that is the case, do people even bother to check what they are voting for these days?
I doubt it. I vote against bond issues year after year. These same bond issues are usually passed by 80% approval percentages. But year after year, Jersey voters keep complaining that their taxes are way too high. Somehow, they never seem able to put 2 and 2 together and figure out that their taxes are being used to pay off these bond issues they keep approving.
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by FFH:

But year after year, Jersey voters keep complaining that their taxes are way too high. Somehow, they never seem able to put 2 and 2 together and figure out that their taxes are being used to pay off these bond issues they keep approving.
If only such problems could be contained to states which have a majority of idiots who vote for tax hikes. Many of these people in New York, New Jersey and California (and this is certainly not an exhaustive list) eventually get tired of the tax hikes and move out.

Of course, they move to states with lower taxes. Then they continue to vote for the same boneheadedness that caused their taxes to shoot through the roof where they used to live. The end result of course is they ruin the new place for everyone else.

In other words, they pee in the new pool that they moved into.
--
This isn't fair! I was only supposed to hate just ONE presidential candidate!

join:2006-07-30
reply to loli

said by loli:

Hope these people don't bitch and moan about it.
Whatever 30 second TV spot is the most convincing, the people vote for. In this case the ads duped the people into thinking they were getting a real tax decrease. You should have seen the conflicting Indian gaming ads.

But, have you ever read the full text of these measures/etc? They full of language that you can't even interpret, so you don't really know what you are fully voting for in many of cases, or what the full impact really is.

Now the bonds, people should know better. You can't spend money you don't have.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

reply to loli

said by loli:

do people even bother to check what they are voting for these days?
Jay Leno did a jaywalking segment earlier this week where he showed pictures of the presidential candidates to people on the street. There were a large number of people who didn't have a clue who any of them were. One woman who couldn't identify John Edwards was asked who she voted for in the last presidential election. She said she voted for the Democrat but couldn't remember who it was. When told she had voted for Edwards for vice president she was stunned. This is why we have the government we have.
--
What's certain about Darwinism is that it would take less time for (1) a single-celled organism to evolve into a human being through mutation and natural selection than for (2) Darwinists to admit they have no proof of (1) - Ann Coulter

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102

Sometimes the legislatures take matters into their own hands and ignore the voters. Take a look at Annapolis.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
reply to pnh102

oh pnh... always love a good opportunity to slam the north east citizens of the USA.. well if tons of people are moving into other areas well that means the infrastructure needs to increase to serve those people. new water, sewer, electric, roads... how does the community all these people move to pay for that increase I wonder? I guess you're thinking God will provide the money or they don't need water, sewer, roads,police, fire fighters etc. etc.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to loli

I'm rather miffed. I voted in Encino, CA and I didn't see this one on my ballot. However, most everything that passes in LA hits us on this neck of the woods. Are we somehow exempt, or can LA just drag this onto us without a say?

(edit) Sorry, my brain stroked out there for a minute, or something. Yeah, Prop. S. That thing was the biggest braggart of "lower taxes" on our TV *ever*. I voted against it (and encouraged friends/family to do so). Fat lot of good that did.

snkeyes

@neric.org
reply to rit56

Actually, they lower taxes, give money back to the rich and the services just trickle down.

cfm117

join:2004-02-13
Woodland Hills, CA

1 edit
reply to FFH

This tax hike was not sold as a tax hike but a tax cut by the Mayor, police chief and all the politians. There was not one lousy ad against this prop saying what it really is about. Every media outlet and newspaper in town got on board for this one. Its the city's way to get back its $270 million a year in revenue after a federal court threw out the citys 10% telephone tax as illegal. The city has been charging that since 1967. Now they say we will drop tax rat from 10% to 9%, and thats all people need to hear. They mark yes on ballot and they just screwed ourselves. The language in the prop allows for taxes on IM,texting,email, and anything used to communicate within the city limits. Sorry for grammar, im at work and in a hurry.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to rit56

said by rit56:

oh pnh... always love a good opportunity to slam the north east citizens of the USA..
Anyone who willingly votes themselves a tax hike is a complete and total moron, regardless of where they live.

You happy now?
--

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to footballdude

said by footballdude:

This is why we have the government we have.
»www.dontvote.org
--

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to rit56

said by rit56:

I guess you're thinking God will provide the money or they don't need water, sewer, roads,police, fire fighters etc. etc.
JESUS!!!! JESUS will bring water. JESUS will open the sky when there is a fire. JESUS will protect us!!!! JESUS!!!!!!

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to 45071419

A good mis-information campaign always solves everything.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

JESUS!!!!!!
Jesus also called out a certain tax collector for being a pompous, corrupt, jerk.

By name no less.
--

JamesPC

join:2005-10-12
Orange, CA
reply to loli

Los Angeles needs cops on the street.

reply to pnh102

well the i guess maryland is included! LOL!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to FFH

i think the harder thing will be collection, per state taxes are easy. only 50 of them. but if this opens up to per city taxing everywhere the VOIP providers(short of cable cos) might not be able to keep track of all the tax rules.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by footballdude:

»www.dontvote.org
Man,
That's a messed up test. Guess I better not vote according to that site. Only got a D!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by footballdude:

»www.dontvote.org
I got 60 out of 60 for 350 points.

--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

I fail to see what face recognition has to do with knowledge of the people you are voting for. Ballots don't have faces on them, at least not here.
--
The public is a poor business manager.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by MrMoody:

I fail to see what face recognition has to do with knowledge of the people you are voting for. Ballots don't have faces on them, at least not here.
The original poster mentioned that Jay Leno was showing pictures of prominent politicians to people on the street and they could not recognize them.

I like the idea of testing voters on the basics (maybe not a picture test per se) before they can vote. Too bad it is not mandatory.
--

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit
reply to pnh102

Er...don't the interests of a representative government kinda clash with "advice" telling people not to vote?

...and how exactly does knowing the entertainment bimbo elite have any correlation to voting well? Guh, if anything, I wish I could un-learn those morons - maybe they'd be less irritating that way.

said by pnh102:

I like the idea of testing voters on the basics (maybe not a picture test per se) before they can vote. Too bad it is not mandatory.
Ditto. However, then we'd have to constantly fund courses in Politics 101 for everyone using public funds...and getting anyone to agree for percieved political "bloat" is pretty well doomed.

reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

i think the harder thing will be collection, per state taxes are easy. only 50 of them. but if this opens up to per city taxing everywhere the VOIP providers(short of cable cos) might not be able to keep track of all the tax rules.
Not in the city of LA. They have an entire office devoted to tracking down folks and squeezing them for every last dime. Worse than the IRS.

mglunt

join:2001-09-10
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to FFH

I see no problem here and wonder why all the complaints? BBR members overwhelmingly want Broadband pipes sent out all over the place and want the Gov't to subsidize this like crazy so billy bob out in the country can hook his trailer up to High Speed Internet. You got to have taxes to do that. I would think everyone here would be for it.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

Er...don't the interests of a representative government kinda clash with "advice" telling people not to vote?
Voting is a responsibility as well as a right. Someone who votes without knowing who or what they are voting for cancels out the vote of someone else who bothered to make an informed decision before he/she cast a ballot. It is not terribly hard to become informed in this day and age either, so that makes it even more justifiable to believe that the ignorant have no business voting at all.

Someone who has no idea who the president is has no business being within 1 mile of a polling place.
said by Thaler:
However, then we'd have to constantly fund courses in Politics 101 for everyone using public funds
That's another thing... why is it always the government's responsibility to teach people these things? We make the effort to become informed voters on our own. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the same of others. Just walk into a public library and google the elections and the candidates. It is no big deal at all.

People should not have to be hand-holded to do the correct thing.
--

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to mglunt

said by mglunt:

BBR members overwhelmingly want Broadband pipes sent out all over the place and want the Gov't to subsidize this like crazy so billy bob out in the country can hook his trailer up to High Speed Internet. You got to have taxes to do that. I would think everyone here would be for it.
Most liberals on BBR are "fair weather" in my opinion. Yes, they want taxpayer-funded Internet for the masses... provided they are not the ones paying the taxes.
--

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

That's another thing... why is it always the government's responsibility to teach people these things?
Because if there's a limiting/deciding factor to vote (a right of every citizen), then its up to the government to also provide the means to meet said requirements. Otherwise, you'll have quite the lot of voters being disenfranchised (for one reason or another), and said measures would be tossed right out.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

said by Thaler:

Because if there's a limiting/deciding factor to vote (a right of every citizen), then its up to the government to also provide the means to meet said requirements.
Not at all. The 2nd Amendment guarantees the right of firearms ownership but that in no way burdens the government to teach people how to use firearms safely.

Besides, I mentioned in my original post that the government does make available the means by which someone could go learn about the candidates if they so chose. So the ability is there... but if someone chooses not to exercise the responsibility, then that person has no business exercising the right.
--