how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Yubin

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin

Re: Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

OK Here is a quick explanation for the DHCP Relay.

The Relay expands your personal FW/Router's DHCP range to the STB's. Basically the relay sends the requests for IP's from the STB's to your personal router and then assigns the ips from the router to the STB's. This way all of them will be on the same network range. It's easier than setting them up on a separate network. I've tried separating them, but the widgets and VOD stop working, so it's pointless.

BKJ

@verizon.net

ok i created an yahoo account: builtbygeek

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to Yubin

ok have a yahoo account. how can i get you my screen name w/o posting to the world. Yes, i know what dhcp relay is and how it works (thanks).

Hooper
Premium
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO
reply to Yubin

What happens if you reboot the router? Does the Actiontec Ethernet connection become disabled still?

yubin7

join:2008-02-17
Desoto, TX

are you referring to rebooting the actiontec? or your personal router? If you mean the actiontec, then yes, mine disables the BB eth everytime, but it still pulls an IP for some reason. If that happens to you, jsut enable the BB Eth again and then reboot your personal router. It all picks back up.

BKJ

@verizon.net

ok i sent you a pm on yahoo.

BKJ

@verizon.net
reply to yubin7

ugg.. did you get the pm yubin?

Hooper
Premium
Castle Rock, CO
reply to yubin7

said by yubin7:

are you referring to rebooting the actiontec? or your personal router? If you mean the actiontec, then yes, mine disables the BB eth everytime, but it still pulls an IP for some reason. If that happens to you, jsut enable the BB Eth again and then reboot your personal router. It all picks back up.

That's the rub... I am not always at home when the power goes out. I have been running a config like this one for over a year and sometimes the Actiontec just craps out on its own and reboots itself as well. It is so sad that we have to go through all this nonsense to use our own equipment.

BKJ

@verizon.net

hooper, my exact sentiments... i am so close to going back to my cable modem! arggggg....

yubin7

join:2008-02-17
Desoto, TX
reply to BKJ

I added you.

BKJ

join:2006-02-27
Woodbridge, VA

ugg.. FINALLY with the help of yubin I was able to get things working. My issue was that new bridge being created (in step 14/15) failed to add/pickup a lan ip. So if things are not working check that the new bridge is picking up an ip.

baygins

join:2002-06-18
Arlington, VA

yubin,
It's an interesting setup with the DHCP Relay. I am wondering if this is bypassing the AT QoS settings that it automatically assigns to the STBs in the 192.168.1.x range (.100 usually).
Any thoughts on that?

Hooper
Premium
Castle Rock, CO

said by baygins:

yubin,
It's an interesting setup with the DHCP Relay. I am wondering if this is bypassing the AT QoS settings that it automatically assigns to the STBs in the 192.168.1.x range (.100 usually).
Any thoughts on that?
QoS is out the window with this setup. HOWEVER, this config only impacts QoS on your local LAN. WAN QoS is handled by Verizon to support multiple HD streams by dynamically adjusting throughput/caps on your line. The biggest problem you may face with this setup is that your 3rd party router might not have the WAN throughput to support the amount of traffic that can be generated.