spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

adamtech78

join:2006-01-25
Chicago, IL

Green Red Blue cables same as Red Yellow White?

Hello.
I have never used the component video cables.
I have two used TVs and DVD players.
Can I use the regular RED YELLOW WHITE cables for component hookups, or are those cables internally different?

RX8

join:2004-07-18
Marietta, GA
You can use either one. No internal difference

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

1 edit
reply to adamtech78
RGB is Video only. Much better image then the singal Yellow cable. Also no audio goes through the RGB input.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

RX8

join:2004-07-18
Marietta, GA

1 edit
said by wings10:

RGB is Video only. Much better image then the singal Yellow cable. Also no audio goes through the RGB input.
What you are saying is Correct about RGB having a better picture than the standard composite video, but that is NOT what the OP is asking.
Other than the color coded difference, there is no differnce in the cable itself.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to adamtech78
And don't go to Best Buy or Circuit City to buy a component cable. Much cheaper at discount shops like Walmart.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

adamtech78

Chicago, IL
reply to adamtech78
hmm, well, I have tried different cables with two TVs and I don't really get a picture (I do connect them properly despite the fact they are different colors). That's why I was wondering if they are somehow different running at different frequency or something...

adamtech78

Chicago, IL
reply to wings10
that is true.
they also sell cat5 or cat6 network patch cords for about $40.
Well, then reading the responses I won't be buying any cables at all. Something must be wront with the TVs as they don't accept composite.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to RX8
It depends on the cable as to whether there is a difference. With cheap cables, I would not recommend it. The red and white cables are not of the same construction as the yellow, video cable. With more expensive cables, they are probably the same.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to adamtech78
Go out and get some true Component cables. They can be had for around $10. Try Radio Shack, Target etc.
--

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
reply to adamtech78
On most sets after you plug in the cables you must go to the setup menu and tell it to use component.
--
7000s, satmex5, 1270, dlink wireless

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
said by tobicat:

On most sets after you plug in the cables you must go to the setup menu and tell it to use component.
Oh that's correct. I forgot about that. Good call.
If you don't you get just a red picture.
--

adamtech78

Chicago, IL
I know to toggle through the inputs on the TV. On one TV I get some sort of signal but it's all distorted, you can't make anything out of it. On another TV there is no signal at all.

I will try RGB cables instead.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
Remember if your hooking up your DVD player this way you need to go into the DVD player menu to select component. On one of my DVD players it was an actual switch in the back.
--

adamtech78

Chicago, IL
I bought a 6 ft set from Target and connected to the CRT TV. Worked without any issues. I will try the cable today with the big TV unit, if it works there I'll need to get a 12ft for that one.

So the regular RCA cables I had lacked in quality to properly send the signal.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to adamtech78
The signal can look distorted if one of the component lines is bad. Component video cable should be of better quality than that needed for the old red yellow white cables. The red/white audio lines on many of those seem to be built differently. Perhaps having a smaller gauge or less shielding.

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA
kudos:2

1 edit
Component cables should be 75 Ohm impedance and be able to handle real video bandwidth (about 10 MHz if you get lucky).

The red/white cables don't have 75 Ohm controlled impedance and can't handle video bandwidths. They were designed for audio. The yellow one might come close.

You can make some excellent component cables out of 75 Ohm RG-59 coax and some RCA phono plugs. Just be sure to match the lengths.