uniqs
share rss forum feed

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

Extended periods of packet loss

I am seeing extended periods of 100% packet loss.

Do I have a FIOS problem? Or could this be due to dynamic IP address changes?

Are the FIOS monitors aggregated somewhere?

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Seems ok to me now. The packet loss back on Weds on the top east coast monitor seems to be the east coast monitor since the bottom west coast monitor doesn't show any issue during the same time.

Are you on DHCP? Your IP shouldn't change that often but if it does are you using something that updates the associated line monitoring IP?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by GeekNJ:

The packet loss back on Weds on the top east coast monitor seems to be the east coast monitor since the bottom west coast monitor doesn't show any issue during the same time.
I am seeing identical packet loss from both monitoring sites.

said by GeekNJ:

Are you on DHCP? Your IP shouldn't change that often but if it does are you using something that updates the associated line monitoring IP?
Yes, I'm on DHCP. In the past, my IP has gone for months without changing. Not sure how often, or when it changes now. And no, I'm not currently using DYNDNS.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

Are you shutting your computer down at all for periods of time? When your computer is shut down, then the monitor will look like that unless you are using a router.

I don't use a router but when I shut my computer down for a while then my graph looks similar.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

And no, I'm not currently using DYNDNS.
DeeEnEss successfully reports IP address changes so the line monitor shows current data.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to sashwa

said by sashwa:

Are you shutting your computer down at all for periods of time?
This is FIOS. The Actiontec router is on 24x7. The ping test should be to the external IP address of the Actiontec.

What I am still trying to understand is if I need a dynamic DNS resolver, such as DYNDNS, or if I have a FIOS problem.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

Does your IP match what the line monitoring IP is showing?

You want to use something like »www.palacio-cristal.com/products/DeeEnEs/ if you have a dynamic IP.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to More Fiber

I'm still learning about FIOS from you all.

In case you didn't notice I put a link to the monitors on our sidebar on the forum's front page.

»/testhistory?view=66 = Line Monitors

DeeEnEs is a good choice for keeping your IP address current for the line monitors. I've been using it for the last couple of years. If you don't use something like that, then you need to keep track of your current IP address and manually update when it changes.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

Leem

join:2003-11-01
Nanticoke, PA

My connection has improved since last weeks issues, i'm still experiencing minor packet loss, I can deal with it though, its not nearly as bad as it was.

madagent

join:2008-03-12
Peekskill, NY
reply to More Fiber

I just got fios and I'm actually experiencing the same sort of issue. Huge packet losses while playing some online games. 1000ms latency and disconnects. But internet usage and speedtest.net is perfectly fine. I'm getting 8000/5000. I just discovered Dr TCP on the site and I'm going to give that a try when I get home from work. I'm thinking I just need to mess with some settings.

If you guys have any advice for a fios newb feel free. I've never had to specially configure anything for my connection so this is new to me.

(Yes all my ports are open my router that the games need to use:) )

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by madagent:

Huge packet losses while playing some online games. 1000ms latency and disconnects.
You might actually be suffering from the small NAT table the firmware provides in the Actiontec. Search this forum on "nat table" and/or on the name of the games you see this happening with.

madagent

join:2008-03-12
Peekskill, NY

Yes, seems like I have to setup some port fowarding options instead of just opening up the default ports that the specific game needs. Thanks for the help. I'll be looking into these NAT table issues more closely.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to sashwa

I haven't been able to confirm if the extended periods of packet loss were due to a change of IP address or not. It seems, I'm still on the same IP address I was before this started, however, there is no way to determine if I bounced to another IP address and then back.

In any case, I created a DYNDNS.ORG account and installed the DNS updater on one of my PC's, and updated the monitor setup to specify the DYNDNS.ORG alias. So far, no packet losses reported.

It also appears that the Actiontec supports updating the the DYNDYNS.ORG database via the ADVANCED->DYNAMIC DNS page eliminating the need to run the updater on a PC.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz

It sure looks a whole lot better than it was looking.