Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to burgermeister

Premium Member

to burgermeister

Re: Utility easement

said by burgermeister:

So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want.
The telephone company can put telephone equipment there. The cable company can put cable equipment there. It doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing.

The utility wouldn't be able to put something there that wasn't part of their business to provide utility service. e.g., they couldn't put an oil well there.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by Bobcat79:
said by burgermeister:

So, I could start a 'utility' and install anything in people's yard?? I'm no expert, but I don't think they can put anything on the easement they want.
The telephone company can put telephone equipment there. The cable company can put cable equipment there. It doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing.

The utility wouldn't be able to put something there that wasn't part of their business to provide utility service. e.g., they couldn't put an oil well there.
And the local town can argue that the boxes are ugly and request / demand that the company change their installation methods.

No broadband is worth a $10-30k loss in property values...

-Tzale
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by Tzale:

The owner should have thought of that before buying the property.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

Incorrect. Every house in a subdivision with front easements has a front easement. No way to avoid it without black listing entire neighborhoods. And they are only going to target a hand full of houses, so the risks are low. In the end they shouldn't be playing Russian roulette with people's houses. And just put this crap in the back.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to Bobcat79

Premium Member

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:
said by Tzale:

The owner should have thought of that before buying the property.
Good luck finding a home without any easements... At least here in NJ, as you probably know, it is nearly impossible..

-Tzale