spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DaBx

join:2008-04-22

[Optimum Voice] Getting calls from 800 Service.

Ok, for over 2 years now my family has been receiving really annoying phone calls from 800 Service, unknown calls, and cities all over the United States. I get about 10 calls per day around 9:00 a.m. to about 9:oo p.m. Sometimes I let the answering machine take it or just pick it up and then hang up.

What the heck can I do about this?

deez20
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Holbrook, NY

Pick it up and tell them to stop calling you it worked for me. I used to get multiple calls from the same 800 number every day. Eventually I picked it up and asked them why they keep calling me 2-3 times a day and to stop calling, Haven't heard from them since.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to DaBx

Register your number at »www.donotcall.gov and hope for the best.. Other than that, there is not much else you can do other than change your number -- something that CV may or may not be willing to do for you depending on specific conditions.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to DaBx

I'm also getting a lot of these. Some are from cablevision. They even leave messages on the answering machine. I just mute the phone every time i see a 800 number.

I've been registered at donotcall for years.

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you
kudos:4
reply to DaBx

I just say "please add me to your do not call list". They know exactly what you mean and they usually stop the pitch there and do what you asked. It's like on the cop shows when the bad guy says the word "lawyer".
--
I Smell Cures! -- Our Hope

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to RickNY

Register at donotcall.gov, AND, when you get the caller ID on your phone, go back to donotcall.gov, and report the number, along with as much information as you can. It's easier than I thought (there's a form on the site, and after going to the trouble to report our calls, 2 or 3 times per number, they really have stopped calling us. All they want is the number who called you, what they called themselves on the caller id, and what time they called.
If the call was anyone important, they will track you down, some other way if necessary.

JDCMAN

join:2006-02-23
Somers, NY
reply to DaBx

If you get the number, check out google and www.whocalled.us, the latter is pretty handy when you want to discern between a telemarketer and the poorly programmed robot from your credit cards fraud department (sadly, a personal example for Discover card- why not leave a message on the answering machine? Why no name on the caller ID?).

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
join:2000-03-03
Pompton Lakes, NJ
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

I've been registered at donotcall for years.
so have I, I found out that my registration expired and had to be renewed....
--
»www.Warpstock.org

Attack Gypsy

join:2007-05-10
Milford, CT
reply to DaBx

I had this happening for about 6 months. Now, I'm the type of person who if the number doesn't show up, or the name doesn't show up, or its someone I don't know, I don't pick it up. Answering machines and voice mail have been around for so long everybody knows what they are.

Finally I got mad enough to pick up a few times. They were 3 different types.

1. Trying to sell me some identity theft insurance.
2. Political poll.
3. An old electric bill (9 years old).

I told them all to stop calling me. The only one who keeps calling is the electric bill. Them I told to go p!$$ off.

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to DaBx

It's Capital One. 800-955-6600

They used to call me everyday, when I was fighting them over fees.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by dubenezic:

It's Capital One. 800-955-6600
LOL.. Yeah, they are the only ones with 800 numbers that call people

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to DaBx

If the call is a harassing call, and the do not call list doesn't seem to help (up to 1 week to start working), besides threatening legal action against them, you can use *57 after any harassing call. Do it on 3 separate occasions and you can get the phone number changed, if that router would be better for you.