spc
uniqs

Quaoar
join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

1 edit

Quaoar

[Rant] Users are not reading ...

Split from this thread about DOCSIS 3.0 ---> »Is the DOCSIS 3 rollout complete in your area? Post here.

Sorry to reply to myself, but apparently users are not reading what is posted on the dslr site itself:

»Comcast Considering 250GB Cap, Overage Fees [388] comments

Comcast is raising the white flag of surrender. Invoking a 250GB download cap, and overage fees signals exactly what I've been posting: Comcast's network is screwed and will never, on the average, be able to support HDTV demand and HSI demand simultaneously.

Now, how many users actually download 250GB in a month? I consider myself to be a 'good' P2P user, and I download no more than about 25GB, if that, per month.

This announcement by Comcast is nothing more than scare tactics to reduce, by implied threat, if nothing else, fractional download and upload traffic to keep their crippled networks as free as possible for their own use for HD movies (Cable TV will not support HD movie downloads to any extent) and other proprietary services (read: proprietary = cost plus charges).

This is a de facto admission by Comcast that their average network cannot support Docsis3 on HSI or any additional HDTV channels on the cable TV segment.

Comcast hasn't the ability to garner the billions of dollars of investment to make Docsis3 and 100 HDTV channels a corporate reality. I maintain, through all of the ojectors, that this announcement of a "possible" plan proves what I have been trying to get across on DSLR.

Q

bayarea
@comcast.net

3 recommendations

bayarea

Anon

Re: Let's keep all DOCSIS 3.0 Discussion in this thread, please

--Quaoar rant..
"Sorry to reply to myself, but apparently users are not reading what is posted on the dslr site itself"

wow your post is full of silly. You've created a whole world to yourself in which Comcast is the big evil company always conspiring to bring you down. I work for them out in the bay area and on the tech-to-customer level we want everyone to be happy with their service. Corporate has their agenda as well and they too want people to be happy with what they have.

You and the few loud vocal ones on here jump at every little chance to talk crap about some company 'holding you down like the man'. I think it would be awesome if corporate released real numbers with how many people go over the 250GB download rate just to show you how small of the customer base it is. It just so happens, the ones who are likely to use over that rate are the ones more likely to know forums like this exist and you get forums where there's a swelling of craptalk compared to the good, because few post about the good experiences. You just egg eachother on it seems and don't take a step back to see who this actually effects.

I assume you don't care to actually understand how much bandwidth the fiber/coax infrastructure can carry and that, in at least the bay area system, since I haven't personally worked other systems, you can definitely support HSI/HDTV/telephony.

It is asinine to assume Comcast isn't concerned about their network like you seem to imply. I could go on but it seems like your mind is made up. So go frolic in your world of network-wide assumptions and 'thems the evil guy' scenarios and ignore the reality that these companies you cry about come down to being nothing more than a group of people employed under the same name that are trying to do their job the best they can, and hey, guess what, also while trying to keep you happy. But, hey, just ignore all that.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

Hey bayarea!
I'm here in Hercules... *ALL* services run great!
I usually get chastised when I try and say my service works good, but here I am!

THANK YOU for working hard here in The Bay Area to keep things running smoothly.

Getting 17.3mbps x 2.2mbps consistently(after PowerBoost)

BTW, screw the caps! I have to try REAL hard to break 30GB per month.

HEDP
join:2008-04-27
Miami, FL

HEDP to Quaoar

to Quaoar

Re: [Rant] Users are not reading ...

250GB is not just usual traffic, this sounds like a server being operated and constantly sending traffic back and forth 24/7/365.

ykronic
Premium Member
join:2006-01-31
Canada

ykronic to Quaoar

Premium Member

to Quaoar
If you've proven it to yourself then there's really no argument anyone can put forth that'll change that.
So all I'll say is this....get used to this trend. Comcast isn't the first ISP to have toyed with this idea, they may turn out to be the first in the states to do it but most canadian ISP's have had 100gig caps in place for years. It hasn't bankrupt them, it won't bankrupt Comcast, and as soon as other ISP's see that many of them will jump over this new way to milk revenue from power users.

Note: I said many, not all. Just so all the FiOS users don't jump all over the fact that verizon would never resort to underhanded business tactics......

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao to Quaoar

Premium Member

to Quaoar
That cap is roughly around 8GB per day. Regardless of the issue of DOCSIS 3.0, the cap is silly to even have.

What would be nicer is to be able to see my usage, if a cap is to be put in place. My fear is one that comes from the early days of AOL on dialup. AOL controlled the data rate, the clock, and the billing. That sort of scenario is guaranteed to screw over some user. So make the cap transparent via a user usage tool.

BTW: such a tool would validate the cap and allay customer fears. Those users who use a lot of bandwidth can readily stand up because they know they do it. 99.9% of people have not a clue how much bandwidth they use. For example, I watched eight 15 minute videos - how much usage is that?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

2 edits

dadkins

MVM

Click for full size
Go Go VUZE!
said by tao:

For example, I watched eight 15 minute videos - how much usage is that?
It varies...
Youtube videos? Not even close to 100MB.
15 minutes worth of HD video from somewhere like VUZE - MariposaHD, anywhere from ~80MB per vid to ~500MB per vid.

Even at full HD res, that's a quite a few videos.
Might I suggest getting TV service, Netflix, or Dish/DirecTV?