NETSH
Go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-11-06
united state

NETSH

Premium Member

Swollen Face After Tooth Extraction

I had a molar (not a wisdom tooth) pulled on Tuesday that was infected. The Oral surgeon pulled it and didnt give me any antibiotics or anything as the infection was in the tooth not an abscess. Well a couple days later and my entire bottom gum line is swollen and red. Is this normal after 2 and a half days? I called the dentist worried that it was infected but they said just to swish with warm salt water and it was normal for the swelling....but I have never swollen this bad with an extraction before. Is it possible that the swelling will take several days to go down?

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA

CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

I've had that last up to a week.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to NETSH

Premium Member

to NETSH
Yes, it is possible. I was swollen for a week+ once in my late teens.

Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, or if any pain increases, call the MD. Even if you're concerned now, better off calling the MD than asking here. I'm not aware of anyone on this site who is a dentist.

katgoomee
join:2002-01-01
Ashtabula, OH

katgoomee to NETSH

to NETSH
Did you get stitches? If NOT maybe you wanna call him to see if you have the dry socket starting, it's painful been there last year. Eventually feels like a earache. If you DID get stitches I wouldn't worry about that part...just do as he suggests, advil, warm water salt wash, use ice on your face.

NETSH
Go Gators
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

NETSH

Premium Member

Didnt get stitches although I can see the extraction site and it appears the clot is still there (no exposed bone) so Im assuming its just normal swelling.

phriday613
Your Avatar Is Nice... For Me To Poop On
Premium Member
join:2002-02-06
Eastchester, NY

phriday613 to NETSH

Premium Member

to NETSH
you should take advil (read the bottle for instructions) or something similar for the swelling & continue to rinse with salt water like twice a day.

If your cheek swells, I was told to keep an ice pack on it for 20 mins like 3x a day.

If they say its ok, then you should be fine!

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to NETSH

Anon

to NETSH
A couple/few weeks ago I had a wisdom tooth and molar pulled. Swelled up pretty good, but was pretty much gone after 3-4 days.

NETSH
Go Gators
Premium Member
united state

2 edits

NETSH

Premium Member

Well still no change today so I went back to the dentist. Turns out I had a dry socket and it wasnt allowing the surrounding tissue to heal properly causing extended swelling and slight pain in the gums. I was treated for dry socket so hopefully things will start to improve.

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy

Anon

I'm kinda surprised a oral surgeon didn't stitch it...

Good that you got a dry socket addressed quickly though, that could be painful. You have to avoid any sort of suction in the mouth to prevent a dry socket, such as smoking, drinking through a straw or spitting.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

I had a wisdom tooth pulled out and it wasn't stiched. Then again it was upper one.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

Mine were stitched, but they had to cut them out from really deep and underneath the other teeth. One or two of them were even fully sideways. Anyways, long story short, worst christmas ever.

Red_Weasel
join:2008-05-04
Belen, NM

Red_Weasel

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled at once, the dentist tore the side of my mouth and shot the numbing stuff down my throat. He told me the swelling would go down in 3-4 days. WRONG! It got worse in 3-4 days my eyes swelled shut and were a dark dark blue/purple bruise, my cheeks were almost the same color and swollen past my ears and all down my chin/mouth area. I looked like I had the shit beat out of me for 2 wks.

I hope you feel better soon.
peggypwr1
join:2003-10-06
Fremont, CA

peggypwr1 to NETSH

to NETSH
I had my two bottom wisdom teeth pulled out 2 years ago. The wisdom tooth on my left side was sideways (I saw this on the X-ray)!

Anywho, the surgeon did his thing, and my cheeks were swollen for about 7 days. I took two advil for the pain.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to NETSH

Premium Member

to NETSH
Dry socket sucks from what I understand. I had 3 teeth removed last year right before going to Vegas for vacation.... Totally sucked. Thankfully I didn't get dry socket as the surgeon was awesome and stitched the lower sockets shut so they would not dry socket. Did your doctor give you one of those little irrigation things so that you can wash the socket out? I was told to use it after every meal or I would increase the chance of dry socket.