spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mjm1231
join:2008-01-12
Lindenhurst, NY

mjm1231

Multiple phone wiring for Optimum Voice

I have cablevision scheduled to come and install Optimum Voice in two days and I'd like to get the phone wiring ready in advance. This is an old house with a lot of old wiring and the phone junction box is rather inaccessible, so I'd rather run the lines myself in advance.

I was told by Cablevision that the phone jack on the modem(their modems have a built in ATA) simply needs to plug into an existing house phone jack and that all phones in the house will then connect to the VOIP system. So my questions:

1. Is this correct? From a quick read online, a lot of sites recommend against this, for electrical reasons. If the modem gets fried, will Cablevision replace it free of charge?

2. Is it possible for the phone line that the modem plugs into the be split? I am thinking of one of those dual plug jacks where both ports share the same line. One port to the modem, the other to the phone. Something about that seems wrong to me, though in theory its no different than the modem to wall jack 1 and phone in jack2 which used to share a line.

3. Is there anything else special that needs to be done with the wiring, either at the junction box or at where the outside line connects to the house?

An additional question is why does Cablevision not have this information on their website, instead of a page about home wiring service. But I guess the answer is that then they couldn't charge whatever it is they charge to have a tech install a 99cent phone jack.