uniqs
« Dish Sucks!They are moving into U-Verse »
This is a sub-selection from Maybe

arundc
join:2004-08-11

arundc to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: Maybe

Actually Dish Network CEO Charlie E. tried to buy out DirecTV and yes the govt. shot it down. Then News Corp jumped in.
slomike2
join:2007-07-18
San Luis Obispo, CA

slomike2

I think that as Dish continues it's decline, it will not be long before DirecTV trys to buy Dish out. This time hopefully the gov wont stop it.

Dish is facing a big problem with the TiVo litigation. They may have to disable all of their DVRs.

-Mike

Geminimind
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Sacramento, CA

Geminimind

Premium Member

Good I hate dishnetwork they are really nasty I would rather have directv. Dishnetwork is greedy and they cost more than directv too

arundc

arundc to slomike2

to slomike2
Litigation aside, I think when push comes to shove, Dish may just end up paying up their dues to Tivo or atleast come to a revenue sharing plan. There is no way that they can simply turn off their DVRs. They have too many of them out there and the only and best triple tuners.
arundc

arundc to Geminimind

to Geminimind
Sorry about your experience but I've been with Dish since 2000 and have been very happy. I watch both US and International channels, latter DirecTV can't even compare. Sports is not that important to me. Both Dish and DirecTV have plans starting at 29.99 and I think they're both good.
slomike2
join:2007-07-18
San Luis Obispo, CA

slomike2 to arundc

to arundc
The thing is that after the way they have treated TiVo, the fees that TiVo may require, may be enough to put Dish out of business. Or at least kill their stock price enough that they will be easily bought. There could also be investor lawsuits about the drop in stock price.

It appears that Dish knew they were violating TiVo patents and just chose to ignore the consequences.

-Mike

arundc

arundc

Yes that maybe the case but I still don't think neither party is ready for negative publicity. I think Tivo could use the customer base that Dish has. Like I said before, highly unlikely they are simply going to disable the DVRs. Check out dbstalk.com for more in depth discussions about this case.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to slomike2

Premium Member

to slomike2
said by slomike2:

The thing is that after the way they have treated TiVo,
The Tivo lawsuit is BS. The way they've been treated by Tivo is more like it. I applaud them for not just rolling over and like many companies do when faced with extortion.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by KrK:

said by slomike2:

The thing is that after the way they have treated TiVo,
The Tivo lawsuit is BS. The way they've been treated by Tivo is more like it. I applaud them for not just rolling over and like many companies do when faced with extortion.
The courts obviously don't agree with your assessment.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by aaronwt:

The patent court cases rule based on the patents... and therein lies the rub. The problem usually is the patent granted by the patent office. IE a super broad patent often covering obvious technology is granted, and then used by a company to beat others over the head for money.

Happens all the time.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by KrK:

said by aaronwt:

The patent court cases rule based on the patents... and therein lies the rub. The problem usually is the patent granted by the patent office. IE a super broad patent often covering obvious technology is granted, and then used by a company to beat others over the head for money.

Happens all the time.
There is nothing at all wrong with that.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 edit

KrK

Premium Member

Absolutely there's something wrong with it. It's in violation of the whole idea of patents.

»w2.eff.org/patent/
« Dish Sucks!They are moving into U-Verse »
This is a sub-selection from Maybe