uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
kudos:1

Safe bug bomb for crawl space with HVAC?

I got a house that has tons of crickets under the house, I meed hundreds, and lots look like baby crickets. I want to bug bomb it and get rid of some of the critters under there for a couple reasons, one is I'm going to be doing a lot of work under there for a few weeks and I'd like to not be bothered with critters crawling/hopping all around and on me. The house has been vacant for a while and who knows what may have moved in there. The other is, well...can you imagine trying to sleep with hundreds of crickets under your house?

The thing I'm worried about is my HVAC, water heater, and vents all run under the house and I just don't want something that might cause health problems for me and my family. I can easily not stay in the house for a week or two, if that what it takes for anything to become inert.

Suggestions?
--
-M

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Mizzat:

I got a house that has tons of crickets under the house, I meed hundreds, and lots look like baby crickets. I want to bug bomb it and get rid of some of the critters under there for a couple reasons, one is I'm going to be doing a lot of work under there for a few weeks and I'd like to not be bothered with critters crawling/hopping all around and on me. The house has been vacant for a while and who knows what may have moved in there. The other is, well...can you imagine trying to sleep with hundreds of crickets under your house?

The thing I'm worried about is my HVAC, water heater, and vents all run under the house and I just don't want something that might cause health problems for me and my family. I can easily not stay in the house for a week or two, if that what it takes for anything to become inert.

Suggestions?
Have you tried bait? Or an exterminator? Generally HVAC lines are pretty well sealed, but if you wanted to make sure the bomb didn't get in the lines, turn on the fan for the hvac system, it will keep the air from getting in the lines, but the hvac may suck it in from another vent.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA
reply to Mizzat

A can of flea bomb and don't give it another thought.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to Mizzat

YOU want to KILL Crickets ???? They do NOT sting, they are not infectious in any way, and they will sing you to sleep.

If you kill the crickets you will find what they have been dining on, they, like humans, will eat pretty much anything.

They may have moved in because it is a safe and dry area.

I would let them be. But then, I am biased......

I had not heard my Cricket buddies singing to me this year, a couple weeks ago I think I discovered why, there is a fairly large Garter Snake living in my yard, I will not intentionally harm him/her either.
--
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Mizzat

Be sure to read the fine print on the bug bomb to avoid blowing up your home. Many create a flammable/explosive gas mixture and tell you to remove all sources of ignition (turn off pilot lights for stoves, boilers, heaters, etc.).
It would be wise to do that even for areas where you don't expect the fumigation will reach.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
Grove City, PA

2 recommendations

reply to 61999674

This coming from the guy with the name 61999674 See Profile

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
Grove City, PA
reply to leibold

said by leibold:

Be sure to read the fine print on the bug bomb to avoid blowing up your home. Many create a flammable/explosive gas mixture and tell you to remove all sources of ignition (turn off pilot lights for stoves, boilers, heaters, etc.).
You must not have caught that Mythbusters episode where they blew out the doors on a house to test that. A good 30 or so cans will have that effect, yes.
--

You can't make all the people happy all of the time. But it should be common sense to shoot for the majority.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

said by rawgerz:

You must not have caught that Mythbusters episode where they blew out the doors on a house to test that. A good 30 or so cans will have that effect, yes.
Myth busters may miss the mark a time or two themselves. In my 30 years of doing fire rescue, I've seen 5 houses blown up by bug bombs. Their are many factors involved, but none of the houses I saw had more than 5 bombs released. In the 5 cases mostly it was windows blown out with no residual fire. So it can and does happen, with far fewer bug bombs that mythbusters used.

WVBill

join:2008-07-04
Summit Point, WV

1 edit
reply to Mizzat

I have found that the "roach motels" you can buy at any supermarket are effective at controlling crickets indoors.

I live in a rural area and the crickets used to get into the garage and the basement, etc. Now each year I just put out a half-dozen of these roach motels in various corners, etc. and do not get crickets in the house or garage.

WVBill

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to 61999674

crickets eat any and everything. i have watched them eat the seals around my doors, eat thru the screens, and on top of that in mass numbers they stink. i cannot blame the OP at all for wanting them gone.

the problem is that they will leave a scent behind and more crickets will move in later. you need to keep your yard treated as well as under the house. every year around late Sept/October we get mass cricket migrations here. sometimes you literally cannot see an entire wall of a building for the crickets crawling on it.

BTW, you will need to toss one bug bomb for every 2-300 sq ft of crawlspace. spread them out under there and close off each access panel after you toss them in. leave it sealed for an hour or two, then open and let it air out. you can work under there within 4 hours of bombing. personally i would bomb the house at the same time. then leave and take the family(put pets, fish tanks can stay but bowls need to be moved, outside or take them with you somewhere) on a trip to the mall or something for a few hours. when you get back just open teh windows and let the house air out. if you read the cans this is recommended method usually.

i bomb my house about 2x a year. we live in the country and bugs are always a problem. no roaches or fleas thankfully, but plenty of skeeter/spiders/crickets/flys/etc. i do it when we leave to go to teh FIL's house for the weekend. i have done it before when i left for work since the dog is outside then. by the time i get home everything is fine.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to Mizzat

fogger
I had to bug bomb the rental I look after.
I was a little concerned after watching Myth Busters (as I look after the house and don't own it.)
What I found at Home Depot that works and is non-flammable and works:

»www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_fum.asp

Edit:
The best part is that there is a delayed reaction, so you don't get a face full spray when triggering.
Since it is smoke, it travels and fills the whole space.
The traditional bug bomb only sprays is a 5 foot circle.
I really like that it will not explode, but the smoke will trigger a smoke detector.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
Grove City, PA
reply to SmokChsr

said by SmokChsr:

Myth busters may miss the mark a time or two themselves. In my 30 years of doing fire rescue, I've seen 5 houses blown up by bug bombs. Their are many factors involved, but none of the houses I saw had more than 5 bombs released. In the 5 cases mostly it was windows blown out with no residual fire. So it can and does happen, with far fewer bug bombs that mythbusters used.
I imagine that was probably many years ago? Would make sense since back in the 70's things weren't all that safe. Or in a small room with a open flame.. one can does 2000-3000 sq feet after all?
And you guys say the house's were "blown" up. People think leveled to the ground when they hear that, when instead a few windows flew out. And if they didn't cause a residue fire, all the more not to be so afraid.
--

You can't make all the people happy all of the time. But it should be common sense to shoot for the majority.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

no one can does 200-300 sq ft, not 2000 to 3000.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to averagedude

I also vote for the Fumigator instead of an aerosol!

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to rawgerz

said by rawgerz:

This coming from the guy with the name 61999674 See Profile
Like I said, I am biased.
--
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.