Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

What controls this?

If there is no box, then what are you pointing the remote at to chose content, FF, Rewind, etc?

TKJunkMail
Premium
join:2005-12-09
said by SLD:

If there is no box, then what are you pointing the remote at to chose content, FF, Rewind, etc?
There will probably still be a box, but it won't be a DVR. Much cheaper to produce.

bear73
Metnav... Fly The Unfriendly Skies
Premium
join:2001-06-09
Derry, NH
reply to SLD
your digital cable box, which will be a home-theatre head unit the way things are going... just add amp and speakers :>
the way things are in my area, you are greatly limited on what TV you can watch if you don't have a digital decoder box. And they are pushing to move EVERYONE to digital cable and make all programming digital channels.
--
If ya gotta go, Go with a SMILE!
»www.thereligionofpeace.com/

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
But you can use a QAM tuner to pull in unencrypted digital cable signal. No box needed. It is up to the cable companies to leave the streams unencrypted. I'm not sure why some of them are encrypted and others left open - ESPN is unencrypted, but USA Network is encrypted. Go figure...

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
And that is just the thing. The FCC is only mandating that local network stations go unencrypted and a small handful of cable networks mandate remaining unencrypted in their carriage agreements (though more often than not, cableco's encrypt anyways and they often go unnoticed and unchecked.).

The more users that are actually using the the QAM tuners in their tv sets, dvd recorders, etc. that they can bleed off and force to buy a box, the better. It is in their (financially) best interest to keep the open QAM channels to a minimum.

Unless you are in, say, a FiOS area with tv service, don't count on PERMANENTLY having open QAM channels available.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

bear73
Metnav... Fly The Unfriendly Skies
Premium
join:2001-06-09
Derry, NH

1 edit
reply to SLD
all I know is an "enterprising" neighbor has been unsuccessful at getting any of the digital content on the coax without using one of the CableCo's digital boxes...

had to Wiki to find out what QAM was...

--
If ya gotta go, Go with a SMILE!
»www.thereligionofpeace.com/