uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Garage door - broken cable

A couple of days ago, one of the cables on our garage door broke. In order to replace it, I know I have to *open* the door in order to release the tension on the other spring, that's still in working order at the moment. I've released the opener's "latch" so that the door can be opened manually but I simply can't lift the door. Is it because of the one spring still being attached and putting it so out-of-balance ?

Or is there something else to look for ? I do have to check if the washer/cotter pin that the cable attaches to at the bottom of the door may be jammed between the door and the track and that's what's stopping it.

eatatjoz
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Mayflower, AR
kudos:3
From the sound of it, you have two extension springs.
Lift from the side with the broken cable, not in the middle.
If you still have trouble lifting it, you can have a friend or neighbor lightly pull down on the other side while you lift the broken side.
--
"I hope you did something important today, 'cause it cost ya another day of your life."

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to Hall
better yet, get a pro to come fix it. you need to PROPERLY retension the spring. if it slips it CAN kill you.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

eakes

join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX
reply to Hall
Garage doors are HEAVY. Since there are two springs it sounds like you have a double door. With no tension springs (or just one) it would be extremely difficult to lift. An offensive or defensive lineman for a pro football team would likely have no trouble, but I wouldn't even try.

Are you sure the tension spring is not broken? No matter, whether spring or cable, I would call a garage door company to fix the problem - save your back and toes!

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Hall
It is a common misconception that garage door springs need to be at their lowest tension for replacement (it feels safer that way). However the correct way (and with overhead torsion springs the only way) is to install/replace springs with the garage door closed and the spring at full tension (not maximum tension, but the proper amount to balance the weight of the door).

With a cable replacement it could be possible that a bad design requires the door to be opened to replace it. I had a quick look at my own garage door and it appears possible to replace the cable in the closed position (the cable attachment point is exposed on the inside of the garage and there is also an opening in the guide rail to allow access from the side).

A good link if you are interested in making the repairs yourself: How I Replaced Deadly Garage Door Torsion Springs
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

eatatjoz
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Mayflower, AR
kudos:3
That's for torsion springs. It's not a good Idea to mess with those.

WARNING: Hall, if you're dealing with extension springs like I suspect, DO NOT work on them with the door closed!
--
"I hope you did something important today, 'cause it cost ya another day of your life."

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit
I'm referring to the cable, about the only piece that's *not* labeled, shown in this image

It also shows the same setup that I've got.

I've been busy with other things and haven't done anything with it yet, but I did try to lift it again and I was able to get it up higher than my earlier attempts... Just had to put more a** into it.

Astieroth

join:2005-03-17
Bethlehem, PA
reply to Hall
Seriously - call a professional.

We had the same thing happen 2 years ago with one of our door's cables. Couldn't lift the (double-size) with the one broken. I think it cost us $150 total, but the company sent a guy out the same day and he replaced both springs and cables, so we are all good as new. And it only took him an hour.

He also showed me how someone previously had used way too much lube in the tracks/fittings. So I am more the wiser now on garage doors then I was before.

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
reply to Hall
Just had this happen to me a couple months ago and fixed it myself by doing the following.

a)I made sure on the broken cable/spring side that all the wire was out of the way and unattached from the door.

b)I used the electric door opener to reopen the door while helping the broken side along. It will lift it with one spring as long as you keep it even on the other side yourself.

c)Using the good side as my guide, I replaced just about everything on the broken side. Spring..cable..safety cable..roller. Be sure that the safety cable is ran properly through the whole setup. That's what saves you in case a spring breaks. All the parts I got at home depot. Prices are very reasonable.

d)After I had that side repaired..I then replaced the other side, figuring that was worn out as well. And I wanted the spring tension to be equal on both sides.

Using the side that isn't broken as your guide..it's not too difficult a project if you're the handyman type at all.
If you're not, probably better to hire a garage door company to do it for you.

Mines working great now and I'm happy with the job I did and savings.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

ricky ticky

@virgin.net
reply to Hall
Please look at www.garagedoor-spares.com some very useful info on garage door repairs..

regards richard281664

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
The repair has been done... Finished the day I last posted in this thread, I believe.

sdgthy

@optonline.net
Apparently you have extension springs, which are easy to fix. Unlike torsion springs.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

said by sdgthy :

Unlike torsion springs.
I really get wound up about torsion springs...
--
Striving for Parfection.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to Hall
Replace both springs, due to as soon as you replace the broken one, the other will break within a couple of months. When doing the replacement, make sure that you have the door fully open, the opener unplugged, and have someone to help you so that you can make adjustments if needed with the torsion on the springs.

Mine I had to adjust the cable twice to get the springs at the proper torsion, when the door was fully closed.