spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jim5
@rr.com

Jim5

Anon

[Newsgroups] "Unable to connect to news.rcn.com:119"

Hi, I can't seem to connect to RCN's news server in NYC.

Was working fine till today. I also noticed some TV channels have been moved around.

Can anyone connect to news.rcn.com:119 just to download a grouplist and make sure it's still up?
mjr
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Bethlehem, PA

mjr

Premium Member

Can't connect in LV either.
Went down around 9:15 PM last night.

Jim5
@rr.com

Jim5 to Jim5

Anon

to Jim5
Is it official? Has RCN discontinued newsgroups, like Time Warner did in August?

Or is this just a temporary outage or connectivity issue.
wbertram
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19
Allentown, PA

wbertram

Premium Member

Could we get an update on the news server problems?
mjr
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA

mjr to Jim5

Premium Member

to Jim5
said by Jim5 :

Is it official? Has RCN discontinued newsgroups...?
Where has this been rumored? I had not heard any rumors of RCN discontinuing newsgroups...
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

negativeduck

Premium Member

Yea, you could say it's official. The news (nntp) service as provided by RCN is being phased out. In large part due to non usage yes there were a few (and by few I mean an incredibly small number) customers who used it however, several times that are using nntp service from a third party.

Additionally for the same reasons that other MSO's are discontinuing the service we are going in the same direction.

jsolo1
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
PRIL

1 edit

jsolo1 to Jim5

Premium Member

to Jim5
Looks like its dead in chicago too.

Bryan, phasing out, or phased out already?

alany301
@rcn.com

alany301 to Jim5

Anon

to Jim5
Last night I discovered that my newsgroups stopped working (its been quite a while since I used them). I checked the settings but I was unable to resolve the problem despite my skillset so I called for RCN tech support. Why couldn't RCN just tell me that RCN discontinued newsgroups when I called with this problem of server not found?

Instead, last night the RCN tech support guy scripted me click by click through the Outlook Express setup to add the account for news.rcn.com, which I already tried and knew backwards and forwards, but try and try we did, amazingly it just wouldn't work - go figure - then he kindly informed me that he has completed all the support on this problem that RCN is obliged to do - which struck me as an odd thing for him to say - and he advised me there was nothing else he could do - and then he told me that this problem is due to the configuration of my computer not RCN and I need to call Microsoft - he said they know this problem and they will be able to help me. But even as I pressed for a better explanation of this fishy posture he would not say anything more about this problem supposedly he knows Microsoft knows about except that I should call Microsoft. It was very peculiar and now that I have found this post I have to conclude that it was all a snowjob. I sincerely resent this deceptive brushoff and who wouldn't? . Why not just tell me RCN no longer provides newsgroups instead of wasting my time and sending me off on a fools errand? Is RCN worried that someone might be upset over this or spread the word that this contracted item is no longer provided? Maybe if I call back I can get a different story. That happens sometimes with tech support but this was really not the way to treat customers.

jsolo1
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
PRIL

jsolo1 to negativeduck

Premium Member

to negativeduck
Bryan,

I suppose it would have been proper to give customers at least a 30 day notice before terminating the service [instantly].

I reviewed several months of past statements. Could not find any indication of impending service changes.

It's like one of the cell companies removing a feature and informing the customers after the fact.
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

negativeduck to alany301

Premium Member

to alany301
Alany,

Honestly, the call center was aware they had all of the information sent to them a few weeks ago and then an update sent last week. That's not say that a tech didn't make an error and what not. I appreciate the feedback and I'll have the note sent again so nobody else has to feel the pain that you did.

All of their "scripts" as you put it should have been updated but I'll get this double checked to make sure something didn't get missed.

Sorry for the inconvenience and your wasted time.
wbertram
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19
Allentown, PA

wbertram

Premium Member

said by negativeduck:

Alany,

Honestly, the call center was aware they had all of the information sent to them a few weeks ago and then an update sent last week. That's not say that a tech didn't make an error and what not. I appreciate the feedback and I'll have the note sent again so nobody else has to feel the pain that you did.

All of their "scripts" as you put it should have been updated but I'll get this double checked to make sure something didn't get missed.

Sorry for the inconvenience and your wasted time.
First you raise my rate by $30 a month, then you cut off news.rcn.com without so much as an email notice, forcing me to purchase an alternative news service, and next you will force me to rent additional cable boxes for all the TVs in the house. Seems to me like a recipe for disaster - RCN's disaster! Does RCN honestly think that a large portion of their customers are not actively seeking out alternative source for the services they presently purchase from RCN?

So, you sent a notice of the impending netnews cancellation to your absolutely useless customer service team. Why wouldn't you send a notice to your CUSTOMERS??? So that they could make appropriate preparation to cut over to another news service?

I don't know whether FIOS or SECTV will prove to be better or worse service providers than RCN, but I can assure you that I will be off this sinking ship at the first opportunity I have.
wbertram

1 edit

wbertram to nickcatal

Premium Member

to nickcatal
Unfortunately, we are in an area where only RCN provides service. Can't even get DSL service here.
nickcatal
join:2008-06-23
Chicago, IL

nickcatal to wbertram

to wbertram
Most ISPs have horrible news services anyways, and they monitor your usage... going with a 3rd party provider is probably the best bet anyways

Jim5
@rr.com

Jim5 to Jim5

Anon

to Jim5
RCN Newsgroups were contracted out to Giganews, with it's excellent 200day+ retention, though at a severe cap of 35k/s with 2 connections. So network drain as an excuse for this service termination is certainly not the case.

It's a shame the way this change of service was handled. I knew immediately something was strange, since Giganews was clearly still up while news.rcn.com did not resolve.

Newsgroups are a major part of traditional ISP services. I can't understand why RCN decided to drop their distinction as one of the few ISPs still offering Usenet access the way they should.

RCN's newsgroups was a major factor in my signing up for bundled TV/Phone/Internet service with RCN. Terminating an entire class of service without even a notice and leaving customers to go figure it out themselves is in poor taste, RCN. FiOS just got into my building, after this stunt I'm unsure if I will be keeping my business with you.
nickcatal
join:2008-06-23
Chicago, IL

1 edit

nickcatal to wbertram

to wbertram
Get a 3rd party USENET provider

Your entire life will change
propsny
join:2006-01-13
New York, NY

1 recommendation

propsny to Jim5

to Jim5
Wow, this is outrageous. To simply take away a provided service without any notice! They raised rates recently, still provide crappy cable TV service, and now abruptly discontinue newsgroup service!

Since my apt building forces RCN on us as our only cable tv and internet provider, I will surely look to move immediately so I can get rid of RCN from my life once and for all!
Expand your moderator at work
mjr
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA

mjr to negativeduck

Premium Member

to negativeduck

Re: [Newsgroups] "Unable to connect to news.rcn.com:119"

I've stood by RCN for a LONG time. I signed up for RCN service in October of 1997, when I moved into the LEahigh Valley, signed up for triple play when it was first offered to me more than 6 years ago, and have sent them more than $10,000 since the beginning. This leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

Quite disappointed. Seriously, how much did it cost RCN to subcontract giganews? Can't imagine is was very much at all.

Very disappointed.
bilsky8
join:2008-07-25
Waltham, MA

1 edit

bilsky8 to negativeduck

to negativeduck
Or at the very least a post on the RCN official pages.

I was a daily newsgroup user. Very sad to see them gone. It was one of the things that separated them from the other ISPs that I could choose from. Now, not so much.

-jason
fhaber
Enhanced For Lynx
join:1999-11-23
New York, NY

fhaber to negativeduck

to negativeduck
Everyone's doing it. Everyone else gives notice. This was pitifully handled.

oogies
@rcn.com

oogies to Jim5

Anon

to Jim5
I can't log onto regular "RCN.com" What is going on? Their phone has been busy for a while now too. Maybe they finally self destructed... Bethlehem PA

basstard440
@rcn.com

basstard440 to Jim5

Anon

to Jim5
rcn.com is down for me too. Also my email is intermittent. With all the problems we "CUSTOMERS" have endured with outages poor CUSTOMER service and poor handling of ISSUES, I believe we deserve COMPENSATION! I am going to pee in the wind ONCE 1-800-ring-rcn can be accessed and ask-Demand a credit. After they Laugh at me and hang up on me while they transfer me to an under achieving Supervisor,I will report back to all of you. How does a telecommunications company have a busy signal when you call them and How can an ISP not have a running webpage? What a joke!!! Who are we dealing with...NewNet? If I don't get a credit I am definitely inquiring about a New ISP. No email at this time. Oh wait now I got some. Good thing WE THE CUSTOMERS don't NEED e-mail. THANK YOU RCN!!!
kcblack
Premium Member
join:2000-09-11
Chicago, IL

kcblack to fhaber

Premium Member

to fhaber
Honestly folks,

Did you actually expect them to handle this in a professional courteous manner or to give you advance notice?

The only good thing I have to say about them is the offering of 20/2 speed, even if it was at a very high price.

I'm done with them as of 9/0/08 and I still can't get them to straighten out my last bill. I told them well in advance that to terminate my service on a certain date. I've got one side of RCN telling me not to pay my bill until they get it corrected, then I have the other side sending me dunning email and phone messages telling me they are going to cut off my service. Good lord,is it too much to ask to tell them to get their act together?

Oh, and BTW, them cutting newsgroups is to provide you better customer service.

Goodbye, farewell, good riddance RCN.

Kevin
afty
join:2002-04-21
Somerville, MA

1 edit

afty to Jim5

to Jim5

I am *this* close to switching to Comcast. Let me explain why:

1) Fewer HD channels. I live in Somerville, MA, and for some reason we don't get the HD channels that other areas get. We have been stuck with the same HD channels for the last year. We don't get any of the newer ones like Animal Planet HD, History HD, TLC HD, etc. Yet we pay the same price as our neighbors in Boston who do get these channels.

2) Cancelling news service without any warning. Yes, some of us did use it. At least when Comcast cancelled their news service, they provided free (but limited) access to Giganews for some time.

3) Slow Internet speeds. When I had Comcast, they kept increasing speeds for the same price. And when they promised 6 Mbits down, you really did get 6 Mbits down. With RCN, on the other hand, you are lucky to receive your rated speed. I am on a 10 Mbit plan, but I am lucky to see 3 Mbit in the evenings. Sure I can get 10 Mbits during the day, but I'm at work during the day so that doesn't help me.

4) General incompetence. Actually, I was going to switch to Comcast. I called in to RCN to see if they could make me an offer to change my mind. They offered a nice package at a good price, so I agreed and decided to stay with them. Yet 2 weeks later I am still being billed the wrong amount. I have called in 3 times to have this fixed, and they keep telling me it will be fixed, but frankly I have no confidence in them. If it is not correct when I call next week, I am cancelling my service.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to Jim5

Numquam oblita

to Jim5
..seems RCN isn't alone

»[Newsgroups] The Comcast Newsgroups Service Discontinued

Ticked
@rcn.com

Ticked to Jim5

Anon

to Jim5
I had newsgroups Sunday morning, and then it died. I tried again on Monday, and got nothing. I sent an email to support. They told me to call the tech support line. The tech support nitwit had no clue what USENET was, or NNTP. When I made it clear to him that he had no business fielding a tech support issue he was clearly untrained to handle, he went away for a while. When he came back, he confirmed my worst fears.

I'm ticked off enough at having Usenet canceled with NO notice, but I really can't believe how poorly RCN has handled this. They obviously didn't bother to tell any of their support people either.

Verizon FIOS will get a phone call tomorrow. I have absolutely no reason to stay with RCN any longer, and every reason to take my business elsewhere.

cdr1000
join:2004-02-18

cdr1000 to lilhurricane

to lilhurricane

Does it matter if Comcast did the same?

What exactly this thread is about?

RCN did not inform customers.....or Comcast follows RCN?