Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to comcastcares8

Re: The Comcast Newsgroups Service Discontinued

so will Comcast be reducing our bills since the equivalent service from Giganews is $7.99 per month?

hahahaha I doubt it. Comcast just takes and takes while either raising prices or restricting/dropping services..

what's next, dump the "always on" and start charging by the hour after being on-line past a certain time limit??

this really sucks, now I have to pay an extra $8 per month for a service I want and use?

absolute bullshit..

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

said by beerbum:

so will Comcast be reducing our bills since the equivalent service from Giganews is $7.99 per month?

hahahaha I doubt it. Comcast just takes and takes while either raising prices or restricting/dropping services..

what's next, dump the "always on" and start charging by the hour after being on-line past a certain time limit??

this really sucks, now I have to pay an extra $8 per month for a service I want and use?

absolute bullshit..
Well technically the price you pay is for access to the internet. Anything else (email,usenet,free anti-virus) are just added features.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

1 recommendation

reply to beerbum

said by beerbum:

Did your rate increase $7.99 when newsgroup access was added to accounts?
"hahahaha I doubt it."

Also when did Comcast raise CHSI prices?

Now you have to pay $8.00 a month for service you were previously getting for free. Chances are you will not and many will not.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Welcome to Post

@comcast.net

said by CableTool:

said by beerbum:

I've been a Comcast HSI subscriber for eight years, and newsgroups have been a part of the package Comcast has marketed that whole time.

I'm not sure how that's relevant, since we're talking about reduction in services without a commiserate reduction in price.

Now you have to pay $8.00 a month for service you were previously getting for free. Chances are you will not and many will not.
Correction: nothing is free from a for-profit company. Newsgroups have been part of the internet package that Comcast markets. We are now facing a reduction in that package.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Welcome to Post :

said by CableTool:

said by beerbum:

I've been a Comcast HSI subscriber for eight years, and newsgroups have been a part of the package Comcast has marketed that whole time.

I'm not sure how that's relevant, since we're talking about reduction in services without a commiserate reduction in price.

Correction: nothing is free from a for-profit company. Newsgroups have been part of the internet package that Comcast markets. We are now facing a reduction in that package.
So when Comcast went from 6/384 to 6/1 and 8/768 to 8/2, did your Internet rate go up? After all, nothing is free. So all of our rates must have gone up with the increase in speed.

I didn't see anyone say "OMG! My Internet just got faster, how dare they increase it without increasing my rate. I am now receiving an addition to my package with the same rate!"

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

said by Rob:

So when Comcast went from 6/384 to 6/1 and 8/768 to 8/2, did your Internet rate go up? After all, nothing is free. So all of our rates must have gone up with the increase in speed.
Yes. About the same time my cap was lifted from 6/384 to 6/1, there was a price increase of about $5. While most people didn't have the timing as close as we did, we had our yearly "we need more money"-a-thon the same time they did the slight bump in upload speeds.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by quetwo:

said by Rob:

Yes. About the same time my cap was lifted from 6/384 to 6/1, there was a price increase of about $5. While most people didn't have the timing as close as we did, we had our yearly "we need more money"-a-thon the same time they did the slight bump in upload speeds.
Your Internet rate went up by $5 dollars?

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to quetwo

said by quetwo:

said by Rob:

Can post a scan of your bill where bundled (std-level) Internet is more than $42.95? Mine hasn't changed since 2002.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to quetwo

I've seen no increases in prices here in 6 years (other than features I've added myself)

ancow

@198.178.8.x
reply to CableTool

pwned

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Welcome to Post

My HSI is $52.95 per month.
When I first started paying that extra $10 per month, everyone had 3mbps and they were in the process of upgrading everyone to 4mbps - I didn't want to wait! I wanted the extra upload right then!
I opted to pay the Extra $10 for speed.

Here we are today.
The package I am on is a claimed 16mbps / 2mbps - whereas I get 17.3mbps / 2.2mbps.
All for that very same $52.95 per month.

So... 4mbps to 16mbps... they quadrupled my speed for no additional cost.

Mean ole Comcast!

Wait...

Back on-topic:
2GB of newsgroup was a joke and 90%(more?) of customers never used it anyways.
BFD!
If anyone wants "news", pay for it and get unlimited access.
News... LOL! Riiight!

DDL is so much better!
Private DDL Rules!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

CableTool
Premium
reply to Welcome to Post

said by Welcome to Post :

said by CableTool:

said by beerbum:

When News groups were added originally there was no price increase. So removing it would not merit a price reduction.
--

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

said by CableTool:

When News groups were added originally there was no price increase. So removing it would not merit a price reduction.
So Comcast offered Internet service without Usenet when they first started? Also, your statement is flawed in that the cost to deliver service has become less expensive. Granted, service has increased as well. But let's look at reality for a moment... when Usenet started it too very little resources. It's resources have increased and so has the cost of Internet access. You really think Comcast has never increased it's price due to the resources of Usenet?

mogulman
Premium
join:2002-09-09
Parker, CO
reply to CableTool

said by CableTool:

AT&T used to have their own news servers. Then they moved it to giganews. If they are going to remove this function of the internet, they should reduce the price they are charging.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

1 recommendation

said by mogulman:

said by CableTool:

AT&T used to have their own news servers. Then they moved it to giganews. If they are going to remove this function of the internet, they should reduce the price they are charging.
Then Comcast should have raised the rates when they increased upload speeds for 384 and 768 to 1mb and 2mb, respectively, no?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to quetwo

Are you a former Insight customer? Comcast hasn't raised their Internet rate since they posted a door hanger, 3 1/2 years ago, trying to get our custom (we're still with AT&T DSL). Nearly as I can tell, customers who've been with Comcast for as long as they have offered Internet have not seen price hikes.

OTOH, former ATTBI, Insight, Adelphia, and Road Runner customers, acquired by Comcast over the years, have often grumbled about "price hikes".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
reply to CableTool

said by CableTool:

What exact date range was Usenet "added originally" by Comcast? You do know Usenet existed before WWW, right?
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

What exact date range was Usenet "added originally" by Comcast? You do know Usenet existed before WWW, right?
You misunderstood. Cabletool was referring to when Comcast originally started offering newsgroup access to their customers either through Comcast's own servers or using giganews.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

1 edit

said by Rob:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

You misunderstood. Cabletool was referring to when Comcast originally started offering newsgroup access to their customers either through Comcast's own servers or using giganews.
But that's exactly his point. Did Comcast offer NNTP access from the start whether it be from it's own newservers or someone elses? I've had internet access from back to the mid 90's. Every ISP I have ever had offered NNTP as part of the package. When I first got cable with Cox while living in Georgia, a News Service was part of the package. When I moved to Arkansas(late 2003) and started Comcast service, NNTP access was also part of the package offered by Comcast. So for some it really doesn't matter when Comcast first made it available. I signed up with Comcast and it offered News access as part of my sign up. So from that perspective I can see why some might see this a less service. But with the speed increases maybe this balances it out.
I myself am not really complaining however. FWIW 2 GB monthly was alright for my usage. Luckily I still have NNTP access via my backup ISP, AT&T DSL. I never use binaries anyway.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

Not at all. What date did they offer NNTP after they offered their Cable Internet services (if there is one ?) Is that clearer? I asked Cabletool who made their statement that alludes that Cable Internet was offered prior to Usenet being around/available and only added later at some imaginary date.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

That would be late 2002 or early 2003, but it would not be accurate to say that news was added to Comcast. Comcast (legacy) and AT&T Broadband merged, becoming AT&T Comcast, and then simply Comcast. AT&T Broadband customers had a usenet server. Legacy Comcast customers did not. Within a few months, the service levels were normalized and everyone served by the "new" Comcast had free but limited access to a usenet server.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

CableTool
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

I didnt say Comcast invented Newsgroups... did you read any of this thread?
--

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

3 edits

said by CableTool:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

I didnt say Comcast invented Newsgroups... did you read any of this thread?
Some readers incorrectly think of the Internet as distinct services -- WWW, Usenet, FTP, eMail, Instant Messaging, BitTorrent -- that are turned on and turned off.

Doctor Olds See Profile,

These services are reached via the Internet, but they're not the Internet. Historically, ISPs have provided local servers providing some popular services as part of their Internet access package (especially when doing so would reduce cost for them, but also for competitive reasons).

Competition is gone now. As for their other motivations, read this: »Old News, and Consumers are Missing the Point
--

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI
reply to Cabal

I won't post a copy of my bill (it's been a year and a half since the increase).

Our municipality had the rate capped at 37.99 until 6/07. After that time, it went up $5 to the new rate of 42.95. No explaniation other than a renew of the municipality agreement.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to mogulman

said by mogulman:

AT&T (Worldnet Service) has always run their own NNTP servers. Now that SBC runs the show, they have two NNTP server farms: ATTW (which also covers AT&T Southeast, the old Bellsouth), and ATTIS (which used to be Prodigy).

Perhaps you are confusing ATTBI with "T"?
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jbob

said by jbob:

Every ISP I have ever had offered NNTP as part of the package.
When I started with Astragate, a dial-up ISP available in the S.F. Bay Area, in 1999, they did not offer NNTP service until a couple of months after we signed up.

NNTP service has a cost to carry it, and I suspect most ISPs offered a very small budget to maintain it. Which is why most ISP news service was crappy. SBC took over Prodigy, and ran the old Prodigy (excellent) news service into the ground. Guess which company was more profitable before the takeover? SBC took over AT&T (Worldnet Service), and is running the old AT&T (Worldnet Service, excellent) news service into the ground. Guess which company was more profitable before the takeover? SBC started calling themselves, "AT&T", after taking over AT&T. SBC never had good, or even just "decent", NNTP service. And they just killed all of 'alt.binaries.*' last July.

AOL stopped carrying NNTP service years ago, yet just last June, or so, they acceded to Mario Cuomo's demands. Why? Because if they did not, he'd take them to court to force them to stop doing what they had long not been doing. Companies are in business for profit, not principle. While Cuomo is wrong, in principle, it would cost money to prove it in court; a cost which would deprecate profit. So AOL chose "profit" over "principle", and agreed to join Cuomo in announcing that they would no longer do that which they had already stopped doing years ago. And AT&T, rather than facing the court costs of fighting Cuomo, also announced that they were joining his "initiative". And Comcast...

None of the ISPs were making money off of NNTP service. They weren't losing money, but they weren't making any, either.

Do you know what happened to the free NNTP services? They were "labors of love", run by people who had a little extra money. When the world beat paths to their servers, they couldn't cover the costs of the bandwidth, and the server capacity; they folded.

And what happened to Supernews? They were a premium NNTP provider, but they ultimately couldn't cover their cost of operation, and were bought by Giganews. The premium services still standing have to cover their costs of operation, or they will go under. That is just the nature of private enterprise.

Robert Anson Heinlein understood that, when he coined the "TANSTAAFL" acronym in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress: "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".
--
Norman

TheBigCheese

join:2002-08-05
Philadelphia, PA
reply to CableTool

said by CableTool:

said by beerbum:

"hahahaha I doubt it."

There was always newsgroup access in my area from day one. Then Comcast took over from Excite@home. At that time, you had unlimited downloads. Then Comcast outsourced the service and only allowed 2GB/month.

Some ISP's are eliminating email and personal web pages so I guess soon we will see an announcement that Myspace has taken over from personal web pages and GMail is available for free so all that will be left is raw Internet access.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to quetwo

So your local franchise agency artificially forced Comcast to offer the service at a lower price than they offered it elsewhere. Then Comcast was able to convince them that it was unfair to force them to offer service "at cost"; probably offered to take their toys to other markets, and leave them with dead coax on the poles. So the franchise agency chose to allow Comcast to charge you what they already charged everybody else.

Government controlled prices are not "normal", and prices rising to the market level, when the government relinquishes controls, does not a "price hike" make.
--
Norman

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

said by NormanS:

So your local franchise agency artificially forced Comcast to offer the service at a lower price than they offered it elsewhere.

Government controlled prices are not "normal", and prices rising to the market level, when the government relinquishes controls, does not a "price hike" make.
This "artificial"-ness runs both ways when there are only 0, 1, or 2 choices for any particular address. It takes a market to create market forces.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

2 edits

said by funchords:

This "artificial"-ness runs both ways when there are only 0, 1, or 2 choices for any particular address. It takes a market to create market forces.
Pricing isn't set on a per address basis; it's based on the service area your address would reside in. As long as there is competition within your service area (which there almost always is), there are at least 2 services to compete on price.