how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

devicemanage
Premium
join:2002-03-16
Chalfont, PA

[Outlook] Send email everyday at given time...

I was wondering if it were possible to configure a workstation or server to send an email once per hour for a set time frame say from 8am to 6pm? This would have to be completely automatic and run in the background. Even if workstation/server has been rebooted but not logged in yet - is there some kind of script that can be set to run at a given time?
--
»www.devicemanager.net

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

What are you trying to actually do? There has to be a better solution than this.

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to devicemanage
You can use a command-line mailer like BLAT and a Scheduled Task to do this. »www.blat.net/

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to devicemanage
I also vote for the command line tool and task scheduler. I use Sendemail and it works great. »caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

devicemanage
Premium
Chalfont, PA
reply to devicemanage
Can you provide me with the correct syntax to send a blank email with x in the subject line to myemail@domain.com ?

We have a client that is handicapped and needs a lot of tlc. They work from home and one of the helpdesk techs needs the ip for remote support. It is too much trouble to walk this person thru a simple url. I figure if we run this script to shoot an email from their computer once every hour to an email address, it would be easier to check the most recent email header for the originating ip.
--
»www.devicemanager.net

PetePuma
Premium,MVM
Arlington, VA
Why not just have them use a dynamic DNS client? (e.g. dyndns.org)

devicemanage
Premium
Chalfont, PA
reply to devicemanage
If it were myself, then yes, but I just want to make it as simple as possible for them. With the dyndns wouldn't they have to log into a server or something to grab the new ip?
--
»www.devicemanager.net

PetePuma
Premium,MVM
Arlington, VA
With DynDNS, you run a persistent client that updates their server automatically. Most other things do this as well. Depending on your client's router (if they have one) they might already have dynamic DNS support (from one provider or another) "built in"...

osumba2001

join:2000-12-11
New Albany, OH
reply to devicemanage
Why not just set browser home page to »www.whatsmyipaddress.com?

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to devicemanage
x2 for DynDNS. That way the tech people can just take look at a DNS entry.

And as PetePuma See Profile states, they can either have a client running on their computer, or if their router supports it, it could be setup there. It would be a one-time setup, they don't need to re-enter the login information.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to devicemanage
no-ip.com also provides a free dynamic dns update service. It can run as a service, so no need to login.

or, you could just get a static ip.

devicemanage
Premium
Chalfont, PA
reply to devicemanage
Guys trust me, and I completely agree with everyone voting for dynamic dns. But I will be doing their job and mine if I go that route. I am talking about people that do not know how to install a program from a cd using all the defaults - no joke. Its a billing department - either way.

I could update the home page but this is a persons computer working from home, not too sure if they would like that.
--
»www.devicemanager.net

PetePuma
Premium,MVM
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

You're going to have to set up and install something, even if it's a script to mail you stuff. Might as well try and do it right.

devicemanage
Premium
Chalfont, PA
Ok man, I will do it only because its you PetePuma!!!

Thanks man - check the link...

»upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e···puma.jpg - I use to love those cartoons...

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to devicemanage
said by devicemanage:

Guys trust me, and I completely agree with everyone voting for dynamic dns. But I will be doing their job and mine if I go that route. I am talking about people that do not know how to install a program from a cd using all the defaults - no joke. Its a billing department - either way.

I could update the home page but this is a persons computer working from home, not too sure if they would like that.
Use PCHelpWare to install LogMeIn. Heck, you could just do that and login to the PC to get the IP address each time you need it.
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to devicemanage
My vote would be for a DYNDNS client but I know that some end users are complete morons when it comes to computers.

So send this person to whatismyip.com and have them drag a shortcut to their desktop. Then they can just click on that icon. It can't be any easier than that.

If they can't do that send them back to Wal-Mart with their computer and instruct them to tell the Wal-Mart manager they are simply too stupid to own a computer.

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA
kudos:1
reply to devicemanage
What the clients can do, cannot do, will not do, is one thing. Every situation is different and I am not going to dig into that. The idea behind it is to make it as little "help needed" on the client side when remote support is needed.

Whether it is going to be a script to send email, logmein or dyndns, you still have to go there and set it up once for all.

I will combine others suggestions and make it my own suggestion.

Setup DYNDNS as a long term solution, also install logmein as fall back measure in case DYNDNS is not working.
--
I used to be indecisive, now I am not sure.

sdgthy

@optonline.net
reply to devicemanage
If they're that clueless, they probably open all email and allow remote images. So, you just send them an html email with an embedded unique image name and parse the server log to get the IP that requested that image.

If the server supports php, you could use an image name with a variable that would cause an email to be sent when it was accessed.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to devicemanage
What about a simple shortcut on the user's desktop that would take them to whatsmyip.org (or whatever the address is). Then, when asked, all they would have to do is click on the link.

Indymike

join:2004-12-06
Indianapolis, IN
reply to devicemanage
Something to try: setup outlook express to run all the time, write a rule in outlook express to monitor incoming mail for a specific subject (ie: give me the ip) and send a canned email in response. The headers will give you the IP address.

As long as the OE is running, the computer is up and the internet connection is working, you'll get a response when you need it .....

devicemanage
Premium
Chalfont, PA
reply to devicemanage
Thanks for all the replys peeps...

I have a few measures in place however now I found out that the user may not be around to supply the ip at all times. I will rely on dydns but I still would like this email to be sent from the machine on startup (not login but before login) and then at set intervals thru the day.

The icon shortcut seems to work like a charm and they already had that in place, same url too.

For access currenty pcanywhere is set up to run on startup and remote desktop as a back door.
--
»www.devicemanager.net

networkguru

join:2005-09-03
reply to devicemanage
I suggest you get the IP from the customer once and the try and get the customer to install logmein on his/her PC.

With logmein you manage any pc without worrying about changing IP's or asking customer for IP address everytime.

logmein has a free service or paid service(more features)
But i think for what you need .. free is good.