fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

[Serious] Oh, Gasoline, where art thou?

This will be an interesting week in Atlanta...no, in the Southeast. Word is out that the refineries that serves the southeast was hit with power outages.

The bags on the pumps is just ugly. Wow. Well, at least I brought my work laptop home just in case I don't have the gas to get to work tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a website that tells of the gas availability in Atlanta?

Thanks.
--
God saved me from myself! Thank you, Lord, in the Name of Jesus!

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
»www.atlantagasprices.com/ (for pricing)

..but has station info

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1
I guess if you don't have it you can advertise it at any price.

-------------------------------------------
On a more serious note, today I saw some stations that were out of gas, but have also seen plenty that did have gas.
--

The foundations of character are built not by lecture, but by bricks of good example, laid day by day.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to fatmanskinny
They are saying that there isn't any gas at all in Cumming.

I know a couple people who live up there and they can't find any either.

Alpharetta seems to be difficult to find it in at best.
Not sure where around here has it.

AtlGuy

join:2000-10-17
Marietta, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
I just had a hell of a time finding gas in the East Cobb area (Marietta/Kennesaw). It took about an hour before I finally found a station that had some, and ended up paying $4.59 per gallon.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
I paid $3.85 at Costco yesterday. Had to wait about 20 minutes in line. www.gasbuddy.com can be helpful in terms of looking for stations. In addition to the price it often lists those out of gas.
--

The foundations of character are built not by lecture, but by bricks of good example, laid day by day.

cahiatt
Premium
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
I was chatting with the station owner down the road. He said he usually sells 4 to 5 thousand gallons a day. On Tuesday he sold 14 thousand and they sucked him dry. While he was going through the receipts, a majority of purchase were between 2 and 5 gallons.

People that still had 3/4 of a tank were topping off and creating this problem.

fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..
said by cahiatt:

People that still had 3/4 of a tank were topping off and creating this problem.
That sucks! I can see if you didn't have enough gas to get you through some days but to top off??!! C'mon.
--
God saved me from myself! Thank you, Lord, in the Name of Jesus!

B A
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Mcdonough, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
In this county, you can't get gas. I have sat in line and they ran out while I was waiting. It took "driving" around 1 1/2 hours to find any. As soon as a tanker drops gas, lines form and poof, its gone.

I "HAVE" to drive my kids to school and we had an engine go in one vehicle so I am driving my husband to work as well. I don't think running out completely and being stuck would be a good thing for us right now.

Its crazy! And tonight they are saying in the media its going to last longer than expected. Like thats a shocker!
--
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

B A
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Mcdonough, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
said by fatmanskinny:

Does anyone know of a website that tells of the gas availability in Atlanta?

Thanks.
If there was one, there would be one problem. It wouldn't update quickly enough to reflect them running out. Gas stations are running out as fast as they get it.
--
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

JollyStomper
The Funky Feel One
Premium
join:2003-03-16
Level 15
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to alfnoid
said by alfnoid:

They are saying that there isn't any gas at all in Cumming.

I know a couple people who live up there and they can't find any either.

Alpharetta seems to be difficult to find it in at best.
Not sure where around here has it.
You ain't kidding about Alpharetta. I work off of Preston Ridge road and when i was getting off 400 on to Old Milton, I wound up right behind a fuel truck going to the shell station there. Needless to say, I followed it right in and got the first pump near the exit. Within TWO minutes, the station was filled up with cars and the shouting matches started before the tanker finished pumping.

Only had regular though (which was fine by me, that's all I use anyway).

Total wait time from hose hook up to opening the pumps: about 15 minutes.

What a mess (sheesh)
--
"As I was sayin' buster, this planet ain't big enough for the two of us so... OFF YA GO!"

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
reply to fatmanskinny
The shortage has not gotten any better, at least with what I saw on my drive today.

gnosys
Premium
join:2002-04-19
Marietta, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
It's not pretty out there. I just got back (1:00 a.m) from NOT finding any gas. I was in line at the BP at Johnson Ferry/Shallowford Rd, but the station ran out of gas while I was waiting. I can ride my bike to work in a pinch, but I'd rather not. It's not the distance (6-7 miles each way), it's the danger! This is not a bicycle-friendly town. Should be a lot fewer cars on the road this week, though.

hep cat
do da dirdy bird

join:2001-02-17
Decatur, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
Did a lot of people watching yesterday. On way home parked across street from one of the gas stations that had gas and just watched. People are funny.

cop: move it sir you are blocking traffic

dude in car: but I need gas

cop: i know that but the tanker needs to get out and look at the cars behind you that are trying just to go straight

dude in car: I don't care about them I want gas now

cop: move it sir now

dude in car: what why what about them

cop: just move it now and don't come back get your gas somewhere else
--
Bowling: It's cleaner than baseball.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
reply to fatmanskinny
I got stuck in a kroger parking lot yesterday just trying to get food. They had formed two lines coming up to the pumps, but only one way to get into them.
Of course that one way was the way I pulled into the parking lot.

People wouldn't even let me or others get out of the parking spots after getting food!
I overheard a couple of verbal confrontations over just trying to go home!

Refreakingcockulous!

Mitch Buckley

@bellsouth.net
I am having a hell of a time finding gas. I went up to the Exxon on Dickens Road in Lilburn and I have been waiting for up to an hour and half. I hope this crap ends soon cause I am tired of living like its 1974 all over again!

Claybraker

join:2002-04-13
none

1 edit
reply to alfnoid
Yep, Cumming and Alpharetta are in pure panic mode. Maybe our employer will let some of us telecommute It's not like we can find gas for our vans anyway.

A couple of stations out of gas for a little while is an annoyance, but the two independent stores up the street from me have been out since Saturday, a week ago. And the stations that are getting shipments are usually out about half the time. Ran a few errands yesterday morning, passed a total of 10 stations, only one had fuel. That's 10%. Traffic seemed light, so maybe folks are conserving. I am.

If there is plenty of fuel, the fix is shut down all the pumps for 24 hours, let the tankers restock all the stations, then reopen them all at once. I understand they're doing that in Western NC today where they've also had problems.

That would do two things-
-restore some confidence- if you see most of the stations open, dispensing fuel, you'll be less likely to panic.

-the lines will be a lot shorter.

But that would require leadership on the part of our elected officials, and that's been in short supply also.

Update: just found out one of the independent stores up the street from me got a shipment this afternoon, and promptly closed for the day. Good deal.

That means they'll have fuel for us regulars in the morning on the way to work, instead of getting sucked dry by all the weekend lake traffic. Bald Ridge Campground and Tidwell Park, one of the last remaining open boat ramps on Lanier are right down the street from me.

Newegg
Comcast steals modems

join:2004-11-14
Norcross, GA

1 edit
reply to fatmanskinny
Anybody know where I can get gas right now at 1AM? I'm on E.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
Lots of gas available in Newton County...though not so much near I-20.... Or the City of Covington.....

Damn I'm glad I dont commute to Kennesaw anymore!
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
Ahh, I love living in town and working from home. I did some running around this weekend and never had to fill up. If I need to go into the office I just ride MARTA like I usually do. I haven't had any trouble finding a place to fill up, because I haven't needed to since all this started and I still have a half tank in my car. Thread like this make me realize how great it is to live in town and able to ride MARTA.
--
-M

hep cat
do da dirdy bird

join:2001-02-17
Decatur, GA

1 recommendation

Have MARTA available to me. Thing is instead of 15 minutes to get to w*rk it would take me a hour and a half. Have just a little over 1/2 a tank so should be good till this stops.
--
Bowling: It's cleaner than baseball.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
I read today that it may not be until around Columbus Day (10/13) before things are back to normal.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by skj:

I read today that it may not be until around Columbus Day (10/13) before things are back to normal.
Wowza.. that's crazzzzzzzy

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
Yes, it is.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA
said by skj:

Yes, it is.
On the way home, ( Suwanee to N Dekalb on PIB, nothing available) WSB reported that Columbus day was all of the SE, but ATL should see increased supplies this week.
--
It's a fact : Chicks dig Mafia players.
'Wanna help buy a goat?' - »www.kiva.org

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
reply to fatmanskinny
I need to open a gas cap lock business ASAP!
--
-M

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South
reply to Gomez
said by Gomez:

said by skj:

Yes, it is.
On the way home, ( Suwanee to N Dekalb on PIB, nothing available) WSB reported that Columbus day was all of the SE, but ATL should see increased supplies this week.
I heard that too this afternoon. Hopefully, they are right.
--

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
reply to Gomez
said by Gomez:

said by skj:

Yes, it is.
move over to US23 (buford hwy)...I saw some at beaver ruin and the next intersection down this afternoon.
I also saw it at QT in alpharetta, but the mile was well over a mile long trying to get in and they were closing the pumps as we drove by.

If anyone uses twitter there is supposed to be a tag to search for to find where there is gas. #atlgas
»search.twitter.com/search?q=%23atlgas

Claybraker

join:2002-04-13
none
This can't keep going on for another two weeks. It's already been going on for two weeks, although at first it was just one station here and there that would be out. A minor annoyance, but nothing serious.

Last week, seems the scale tipped and it was more like 50% of the stations would be out at any one time. Places that had gas had lines, but they weren't too bad.

This weekend, it dropped to about 10%. Today, the lines were pretty ugly just about anywhere in Alpharetta that had fuel.

Just keeps getting worse every day, and Sonny Hoover keeps saying "prosperity is just around the corner." Somehow, I have a hard time believing him.

Any prospects he might be talking to in Europe would be looking at this and have a hard time believing anything he says also. Time for him to come back and attend to business here at home.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA
said by Claybraker:

This can't keep going on for another two weeks. It's already been going on for two weeks, although at first it was just one station here and there that would be out. A minor annoyance, but nothing serious.

Last week, seems the scale tipped and it was more like 50% of the stations would be out at any one time. Places that had gas had lines, but they weren't too bad.

This weekend, it dropped to about 10%. Today, the lines were pretty ugly just about anywhere in Alpharetta that had fuel.

Just keeps getting worse every day, and Sonny Hoover keeps saying "prosperity is just around the corner." Somehow, I have a hard time believing him.

Any prospects he might be talking to in Europe would be looking at this and have a hard time believing anything he says also. Time for him to come back and attend to business here at home.
The problem is that few understand how distribution works in atlanta, so they are just giving wild ass guesses..

Atlanta gas 101:

Above is the terminal in Doraville. Just north of 285, between buford highway and PIB. As far as I know two pipelines ( 30" diameter) service this, on owned by Colonial Pipeline, one owned by Plantation Pipeline. (The Plantation site has maps of their pipes).This is all sourced at the refinery, and put into the system, and it's carrier independent, meaning it's not QT, or chevron with techrolean, until it reaches the terminal, and additives are added by the retailer.

The problem is that a refinery is a rather complex beast, and shutting one down, means about 7 days to bring it back up. Gustave shut many down, add cleanup, repair and it's close to a month before for full operation. The storage facility pictured above absorbed that.

Then came Ike, same shut down process and delays on restart, and dwindling reserves, then add some media frenzy, and we have what we have.

As I understand it, supplies are mostly back on-line, and we're just waiting for it get here, which is probably why WSB, said relief this week.. I suspect they have someone on staff that understands the system, and has talked to the right people.
--
It's a fact : Chicks dig Mafia players.
'Wanna help buy a goat?' - »www.kiva.org