Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kt625317

join:2008-09-23
Anaheim, CA

1 edit

Unstable performance

I have been with Earthlink since AT&T took over my SBC DSL years ago. I also have a VOIP phone service from another provider. My problem is always with the unstable performance with Earthlink DSL even with 3 Mb subscription. Many times I had to forward my phone calls to another line to obtain better quality calls. It is sad that we have very poor but expensive DSL services here. I also work in Japan and other countries in Asia. And 8 Mb DSL services are basic out there with only half of what I pay for 3 Mb Earthlink DSL. And I hardly get more than 1.5 Mb here most of the time. I do not know how long I still have to tolerate such ripoff here. I have been trying to find a descent local DSL service in vain. I would like to try your DSL monitoring. Although I am not aware of what the purpose is in evaluating Earthlink DSL services. Is there any better service without paying a lot as well?

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

Re: Line Monitoring SignUps for Earthlink DSL members

Let's get you moved to your own topic for some help.

Welcome to the site.

--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to kt625317

Re: Unstable performance

We would be happy to add you to our line monitoring group. First please get your line monitor set up and working. Then send me an IM to let me know when it is and I'll send you an invite.

Secondly, maybe our member's will be able to help you with your unstable connection. We have some very helpful members in here.

Third, we have some VOIP forums that also may be able to help you with your VOIP problems so you can try posting about those problems in one of those forums:

»/forums/all?cat=67
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

kt625317

Anaheim, CA

Thanks for your kind help. Please tell me how to set up my line monitor and what IM(?) is to be sent to you.

I will also check with the VOIP forum as suggested.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to kt625317

First read my post here and it will give you the links to help you set up your monitor:

»Line Monitoring SignUps for Earthlink DSL members

If you have other questions about the monitoring feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

To send me an IM (Instant Messaging) here on site all you have to do is click on my name and it will take you to my profile page. Just type in the yellow box at the top and click on send. You will need to be logged into the site rather than just to post to send and see your IMs.

To further help you on our site here is a FAQ for some more reading:

»Site FAQ
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to kt625317

Can't really help you much with prices that other Countries charge compared to USA prices as you would have to move to another Country to gain those price benefits which means giving up other benefits of living where you do.
For example, How much is beef in Japan? Why can't you find US Style Hot Dogs in Japan? Why is a $250,000 USD Condominium in Japan the size of a 3 car garage in the US?

As to your line or speed problems you would have to post your DSL Statistics from the Modem. What Brand and Model Number ADSL Modem do you have?

Also you can do as many of us here have done and call Earthlink on the Telephone to ask Customer Service for a price match to lower your monthly fee.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

RogerADSL

join:2004-12-10
Lawrenceville, GA

And there is the whole Tsunami/Earthquake/Volcano thing...

kt625317

Anaheim, CA
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds See ProfileFor example, How much is beef in Japan? Why can't you find US Style Hot Dogs in Japan? Why is a $250,000 USD Condominium in Japan the size of a 3 car garage in the US?
[/BQUOTE :

Well, you are correct with all things considered. I agree with you that US is the best place. My point is why there is no guarantee for certain quality control on any DSL service contract. For my 3 Mb DSL contract, the only guarantee I got is upper speed limit for me but no certain lower limit which is usually what I got most of the time.

I am not a IT expert. Am I asking too much for what I pay for my DSL service?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by kt625317:

Well, you are correct with all things considered. I agree with you that US is the best place. My point is why there is no guarantee for certain quality control on any DSL service contract. For my 3 Mb DSL contract, the only guarantee I got is upper speed limit for me but no certain lower limit which is usually what I got most of the time.

I am not a IT expert. Am I asking too much for what I pay for my DSL service?
I agree and gave you two things to try to help you.

One is the info on calling in to EL Customer Support for a price match and you can even ask for a customer loyalty discount but only after getting the price match.

The other one is to post your current ADSL Stats to see if they will help diagnose any problems with your line or speeds that may be in your residence or wiring. Missing filters, phones hooked up with no filters, long phone cords to the DSL Modem, and a host of other household items can interfere with your ADSL and you don't have to be an IT Expert.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

kt625317

Anaheim, CA

I am very grateful for your helpful information and kindness. I have contacted with Earthlink for customer supports. My internet connection shuts off the VOIP connection almost every day. All I can do is replugging again and again or simply forwarding all calls to another phone line. All I got from both customer supports are not helpful at all. Today's news of more let go at Earthlink does not surprise me.

The other report on Businessweek may be interesting to you if only limited to the aspect to broadband nowadays. »www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/c···0190.htm "In the Broadband Race, the U.S. Is Way Behind"

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Please "post your current ADSL Stats to see if they will help diagnose any problems with your line or speeds" as previously asked.

If you don't know how to do that, then you simply flip your DSL Modem over and post the Brand and the Model Name/Model Number printed on the bottom label. Then we can give you the steps to obtain the DSL Stats.

ADSL Modem Label Example

The problem is EL has used so many different Modems over the last 9 Years and they don't all use the same steps so we must know exactly what you have.

Early ADSL Bridge Modems and Routers

UHP ADSL Modems with Single PC Support

Current ZyXEL P660R Router with DSL Modem.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--

kt625317

Anaheim, CA

It is a Zyxel P-600 serious with a model number P-660R-ELNK. I do not know what else is necessary for diagnosis the problem with internet line. I really appreciate your kind help and information. Regards,

KT

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

3 edits

said by kt625317:

It is a Zyxel model number P-660R-ELNK.
600 Series is on the face of the Modem and that IDs only the Series which actually means about two dozen different Modems. It is the P660R-ELNK that tells us the actual unit that you have. Thanks!

This is the FAQ to read:

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »HowTo obtain DSL Stats & Diagnostic Info from the ZyXEL P-660R-ELNK Router?

If you are using a Router behind the ZyXEL ADSL Modem/Router, then temporarily remove it and hook one PC to the ZyXEL and set it up with your Username and Password as seen in this FAQ.

»/faq/13849

Note, please don't post the tones as they are not needed.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--